SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2014, 03:29 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,423 Posts
I've been working a bit here and there on the Stinson. When I feel a little desire...I capitalize on it and get a bit done.

I have the cowl screws installed and did a final fit on the cowl...my standoffs worked great and the cowl is blended and fitted the fuselage.

Cowl blended to fuse:

View inside to see how it's mounted. This is so the engine and gear mounted on the firewall is able to fit without interfering with the cowl mounting.

I also got the cabin top installed and blended to the fuse:

Today I did the pushrod cover plates...

Making steady progress...as I feel motivated. Perhaps she'll be done this winter (I think she will). First flight in 2015 sounds good!
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2014, 03:38 PM
Hurts so good!
Joined May 2008
289 Posts
Nice work.
King of Plane is online now Find More Posts by King of Plane
Old Oct 16, 2014, 03:42 PM
Expert in sawdust production
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Aug 2007
1,175 Posts
Great job! Cowling looks like a custom fit!
flyerinokc is offline Find More Posts by flyerinokc
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:08 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Aug 2010
1,151 Posts
It's about time someone works on their Stinson!

Looking good Jimmy. Taking a look inside the cowl, I'm curious how you plan to vent the cowl. The plans and other photos I've seen show it like this:
Cub Flyer Fresno is offline Find More Posts by Cub Flyer Fresno
Old Oct 17, 2014, 09:06 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,423 Posts
It will be similar to that...but I will wait until final engine mock up prior to paint to cut it. I have to build a baffle system to direct air over the engine fins...and this will also make the forward mounted cowl ring a non issue as far as air flow...air will be directed over and behind the ring by the baffles. Also...I need to see the size of the air intakes required on the front before finalizing the outlet...as I like a 1:2 or 1:3 inlet to outlet size ratio for intake to outlet. This will dictate the size of the outlet and may require something a bit bigger than scale. Also...the engine is horizontally opposed...so the baffles and airflow will be well above the forward mounted cowl ring.

It will be easier to do all of that post covering and pre paint during final mockup.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:39 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,753 Posts
Just came across this thread today.
Wish you all the best with your new little boy. I remember those days well. They grow up faster than you realise. My youngest is just about to turn 19 It seems like yesterday she came home; and yet I don't remember life without my kids. Cherish them.

The SR-9 is looking great. I purchased a 1/4 scale SR-10 built from Hostetler plans. Looking to sell it and build the Top Flite SR-9 they are such cool looking airplanes. The extra 25" of wing span doesn't sound like much. I have to get my son to help me get it out of the house in the morning; before he goes to work. Then help me put it away when he gets home. Then it uses a Zenoah 80cc twin. I've been checking out the Top Flite kit quite a bit lately. I like seeing the VVRC engine installed without any holes cut for spark plugs/ mufflers/ carbs.

Love the interior work. Going to have to do my best to step up my building.
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Oct 18, 2014, 06:05 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,423 Posts
Hi Rick!

Thanks so much for the kind words. Building this plane is definitely a journey and a challenge for me.

As far as my boys go...what a huge blessing they are! I am enjoying every minute with them I can.
Old Today, 09:52 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
603 Posts
Will it have any wizzard font gracing the bottom of the wing when done?
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061