HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:29 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highly Grounded View Post
I am satisfied with the repair, but I'm still looking for an upgrade! I'm flying well enough that the range is an issue for me. I can't really go all out because I have this short ceiling to worry about.
I'm glad that you have got that sorted out. I love the Syma X1 for the way it flies. But when you're ready to fly beyond its range, it feels very limiting. I have an V949, which Tx is compatible and has better range. I also have a T9x radio, so the sky is the limit there. You should consider these upgrades.

The V949 is a similar size, yet different characteristics quad. But if you'd like to take one step further, I'd recommend the V959, because it has an on board camera. Granted that it is not the top of the line video equipment, it will give you some idea whether you want to pursue in that direction or not. I really like the V959 Tx and the possibilities of turning thing on/off on the FC from the Tx. Ultimately, if range and programming is your thing, you would want to invest in a FS-TH9XB or something similar.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:48 PM
Learning more each day....
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
633 Posts
Going back to the beginner end of things, here's a short outdoor flight with the X1 I did today - one flip (auto-flip) in there.

Flying the Syma X1 (1 min 52 sec)

Also, an unboxing vid.

Unboxing the Syma X1 (2 min 2 sec)

I'd say both the range and the relative dislike of winds are the downside to the stock X1 - then again, for $40 or less, who's complaining???
craigiri is online now Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:17 PM
United States, AR, Lead Hill
Joined Jan 2013
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Sorry, these are cascading lights. In fact, all 4 of them are the same. Therefore, I only used half an order on the X1. Otherwise, I couldn't tell orientation.
Hi Ya Heli,

Did you need to use resistor's with the 949 set, or are they built in?

Also do you know if the "Pluged set" includes both the cascading and the solid red as on the 949 quad.
Name: led.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 70.9 KB
Description:

Oz, has given me a great answer to my question about his led set up, but I am embarrassed to admit, all the talk about, 20ma, ohms, etc. is a out of my scope

For an Old Guy, I have a lot to learn. But I am having a helluv a time doing it....

Name: toast.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 3.8 KB
Description:

Thanks,
PaPaGrizz
PaPaGrizz is offline Find More Posts by PaPaGrizz
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
Hi Ya, Papa. Sorry, I don't know. I ordered and installed the other set of lights. I figured that I don't have plugs on my board, so I went with the other set.

Just eye-balling these, I would say that they are all cascading lights, just like the other set. I don't need to add resistors on mine. I doubt that you would need to that for these.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:46 PM
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
Total RC newbie here, just wanted to say thanks to HeliPad for this informative thread and craigiri for the cool videos. I recently saw the X1 for cheap on Amazon and figured it must be a junky toy, but the community support and good reviews on here convinced me to give it a shot.

I really want to mount a camera and see what kind of interesting video I can take.. but until then I'm waiting impatiently for the box to arrive LOL
frantik is offline Find More Posts by frantik
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
FYI, the NanoTech 600mAh is back in stock.
I know that some of you have been waiting for this. So get them before they are OOS again!!

Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:54 AM
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
I know that some of you have been waiting for this. So get them before they are OOS again!!
is it safe to use the USB charger that comes with the X1 with these batteries?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:51 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Anyone interested in buying one of these should definitely get it from Amazon.
I bought one from NitroPlanes for $35.00 plus about $15.00 shipping.
The real problem was that it did not work. NitroPlanes agreed to replace it but I had to ship it back, at my expense, another $14.00.

So now I have $64.00 in this thing and still do not have one.

Amazon has it for about $35.00 plus free shipping. They will also pay for return shipping if you are not satisfied.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:14 AM
United States, AR, Lead Hill
Joined Jan 2013
146 Posts
Quote:
Hi Ya, Papa. Sorry, I don't know. I ordered and installed the other set of lights. I figured that I don't have plugs on my board, so I went with the other set.

Just eye-balling these, I would say that they are all cascading lights, just like the other set. I don't need to add resistors on mine. I doubt that you would need to that for these.
Thanks heli...that is more than helpful!!
PaPaGrizz is offline Find More Posts by PaPaGrizz
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:52 AM
Autopilot no control
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2013
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
is it safe to use the USB charger that comes with the X1 with these batteries?
NO! The stock USB is a dummy charger. Lots of information in the first and second post.
Highly Grounded is offline Find More Posts by Highly Grounded
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:07 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Hi
Just a quick question before i go off in the wrong direction .
Sometimes the left hand High /Low switch changes modes 1st click but other times it takes a few clicks before the beep is heard and display indicates mode has changed .
I suspect a faulty switch which I intend to spray in a bit of contact cleaner or perhaps change for another switch.
This may be the obvious or is there anything else i should be looking at .

Thanks

Jim
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:35 AM
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highly Grounded View Post
NO! The stock USB is a dummy charger. Lots of information in the first and second post.
Thanks.. I guess I will just assume all batteries don't have the protection circuit. If i hadn't found this thread I probably would have blown up my house
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:47 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
Thanks.. I guess I will just assume all batteries don't have the protection circuit. If i hadn't found this thread I probably would have blown up my house
I just read your question, and looked like it's been sufficiently addressed.

The NanoTechs are good and inexpensive batteries. The problem is that they are constantly out of stock. The eBay sellers scoop these up by the masses and turn a good profit from them. But when you get them from the source, they are cheap.

The first two posts of this thread discuss about the battery and alternate solutions. If you don't have a good charger, you should consider getting one. It is much better than using the USB cable in the long run.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:07 PM
Autopilot no control
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2013
284 Posts
Quote:
Should I bother waiting for the US warehouse to get them, or just order from international? Will they even let US order from the non-US store? (as you can tell, I've never ordered from that site)

Also, thx for the upgrade suggestions. The 959 looks like it would be fun (and the range on videos shows it blows the X1 range away!), but I am definitely looking for hobby grade now, and leaning towards a tricopter. The X1 wont go away though, my girlfriend and I have a blast flying ours together!
Highly Grounded is offline Find More Posts by Highly Grounded
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:39 PM
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
The NanoTechs are good and inexpensive batteries. The problem is that they are constantly out of stock. The eBay sellers scoop these up by the masses and turn a good profit from them. But when you get them from the source, they are cheap.

The first two posts of this thread discuss about the battery and alternate solutions. If you don't have a good charger, you should consider getting one. It is much better than using the USB cable in the long run.
yes I noticed they were pretty cheap compared to some other battery prices I had seen. I'll check out the charger options.. hopefully there is something that won't turn my $35 impulse buy into an actual investment

Has anybody taken the protection circuit from the stock battery and wired it to the stock USB charger? could it then be used with any battery? I guess you might end up sacrificing the stock battery though