HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:18 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,613 Posts
Build Log
Meet The Fokker (DVIII)

I decided I wanted a small WWI park sized flyer that I could enjoy when at a small field. I build big planes but this time I wanted something small but interesting. A friend gave me plans from a Brit magazine for one of Rake's designs. I think I will make up some hand made spoke wheels for it as well and some dummy engine cylinders.

It is pouring rain here and 40 plus mph winds so I believe it is officially building season here!

I set aside a 110 watt motor, some 5 gram servos and a Spektrum Parklite 6 channel radio. This plane will be 42" wingspan and 4 channel.

Cut parts etc.

Balsa and ply cowling:
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:29 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,022 Posts

Dig parasols, dig the E.V/D.VIII!

James (I also have the Rake/Manzano short kit! Watching with much interest!)
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:34 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post

Dig parasols, dig the E.V/D.VIII!

James (I also have the Rake/Manzano short kit! Watching with much interest!)
James,

Is the Manzano laser kit the same exact plane?

Dave
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:36 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,613 Posts
This is the color scheme I am after. Supposedly this was an unarmed civilian plane that was used as a barnstormer:

The documentation is rather flimsy so the exact colors/decoration is somewhat a guess.

Dave
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:44 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,022 Posts
~42" span? (Just a little way down the listing... http://www.manzanolaser.com/html/peter_rake.html )

Larry did a build thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376613

I will go out on a limb and assume it is the same... Maybe Pete will pop in and confirm/deny.

Regardless, I'll watch this D.VIII build! I built two of the Guillow iterations quite a few years ago, and even managed to get one of them to maintain altitude for a bit on rubber power! I've purchased a set of IC-powered plans by Henry Haffke from RCMPlans some years back with an E-conversion in mind.

Always like d the looks of the E.V/D.VIII...

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:48 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Nice job so far mate, she will be a great little flyer fom what Simon said of the design, his build thread of the prototype is here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1403450
might pay to check with Peter and see if the magazine plan incorperated the revised wing spar, i would imagine he will be along shortly! are you going to build ailerons into it, or just keep it at 3 channel?

Craig

craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:02 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumps View Post
Nice job so far mate, she will be a great little flyer fom what Simon said of the design, his build thread of the prototype is here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1403450
might pay to check with Peter and see if the magazine plan incorperated the revised wing spar, i would imagine he will be along shortly! are you going to build ailerons into it, or just keep it at 3 channel?

Craig

craig
Craig,

Thanks for the link. The plans call for a 1/8" Bass spar. Is that what the latest version was calling for?

Thanks,

Dave
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:06 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
that sounds about right, pretty sure the original had a balsa spar, better to check with Peter, or Simon to be sure though mate.
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:44 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,041 Posts
Dave,

the bass spar is the latest rendition of this plan. Would definitely recommend going with that. Good luck with the build - she's already taking shape nicely. And she flies a treat.

Simon
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:50 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,720 Posts
Yes, the magazine plan is the same model Manzano lists. Both have the updated spar. Using hard balsa would have been fine, but the laser cut parts tended to be a little softer than I intended, so I took out that possibility by just labelling them as bass instead.
From the fact I see 4 servos, I assume this one will have ailerons. I can't recall seeing one built that way yet, so this should prove interesting all round.

There doesn't appear to be much 'meat' at the near elevator tip, you might want to fit a little gusset in there. It'll handle the tiny amount of extra weight and it's much preferable to a failure after the elevator is covered.

I'm still not convinced you can have a DVIII without lozenge though. That's bordering on sacrilege.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:45 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,743 Posts
AW come on Pete! Let the guy off the hook

While I love the look of well done lozenge and the 'streaked' fuse on German WWI planes, I just can't get up the motivation to do one. When I built the 30" DVIII I went with a non-scale finish. Got a scheme from a Alb DV instead. Nice bold colors and stripes for me

The build looks great so far.

Charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:04 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,951 Posts
Wow! Dave that looks great! Love the cowling.

I'm doing a Micro D.VIII 15"WS over in the Micro & Indoor forum. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...714870&page=12

I just need to add my guns and other details. My friend Speedy01 (Gene) tissue covered all the 2mm Depron parts for me after he sized them from the ROF sim skins.

Good luck with yours,

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:43 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,474 Posts
I really should build the one I have in my pile of short kits.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:24 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,613 Posts
Peter,

I really like the plans and the design. I am still thinking about finishing options. However, I have looked at a number of lozenge techniques and I still have not found a process that looks viable. I am thinking about printed tissue but I am not sure.

I have heard that the DVIII by nature is prone to tip stalls and a quick spin. I am wondering if a tiny bit of washout would be a good idea. I happen to be the master of tip stalls and can pull into a tight spin easier than any other flyer on the planet. I have learned to avoid them though and have often employed washout and positive aileron reflex.

Dave
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,832 Posts
[QUOTE=payne9999;23317672
I happen to be the master of tip stalls and can pull into a tight spin easier than any other flyer on the planet.
Dave[/QUOTE]

Guess you have never seen me fly...

Really nice work on that cowl. To get a finish like that some serious filling and sanding went on to prep that baby!

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis