HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
if the dsmx module was similar price to flysky module i would buy one. but it costs a lot more. maybe it will come down in time. i wonder who these "orange" guys are anyway? dont seem to be hk.
The domain ORANGERX.COM is registered to Hextronik with a contact of Yuheng Wu which is the same contact listed on the HobbyKing.com registration but under UnitedHobbies. So I think they might be more a part of HK then you think.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:12 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
ahhh yes... i see. maybe back then they did anticipate legal issues with spektrum and took steps to insolate. thanks for that info.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,324 Posts
i have a turnigy9x V2 from hobby king, can anyone tell me does it have the model match technology ?
fastfwd is online now Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:03 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,819 Posts
No.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
i have a turnigy9x V2 from hobby king, can anyone tell me does it have the model match technology ?
No it doesn't because somehow Spektrum got a patent on it. I'm guessing that "change id" button on the module has something to do with faking model match. I'm guessing there is no real model match with the module or else they would be violating the patent. Probably everything will always match.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:10 AM
Suomi, Lšnsi-Suomi, Uurainen
Joined Jan 2004
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
No it doesn't because somehow Spektrum got a patent on it. I'm guessing that "change id" button on the module has something to do with faking model match. I'm guessing there is no real model match with the module or else they would be violating the patent. Probably everything will always match.
Well, there is a potential problem that a non Spektrum built tx module shares the same tx id as a genuine Spektrum system. So that button might be for changing that.

And if that assumption is correct... figure out the rest
Harri Pihl is offline Find More Posts by Harri Pihl
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:51 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Pihl View Post
Well, there is a potential problem that a non Spektrum built tx module shares the same tx id as a genuine Spektrum system. So that button might be for changing that.

And if that assumption is correct... figure out the rest
Hum... then soon we need one of these but for Spektrum TX Id's?
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:18 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
Module is $30. So cheap. what is the issue.

The 7 channel FASST module was $100, after accounting for the 7 channel receiver included. The 8 channel FASST module was $170 after accounting for the included receiver.

FrSky is about $25. Orange about $30.

Is that really a crushing difference? Give me a break!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:30 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Module is $30. So cheap. what is the issue.

The 7 channel FASST module was $100, after accounting for the 7 channel receiver included. The 8 channel FASST module was $170 after accounting for the included receiver.

FrSky is about $25. Orange about $30.

Is that really a crushing difference? Give me a break!
I'll agree I don't think anyone should be complaining about the price of the module. As for the IDs if they can in fact clash, that really sucks. But in reality though I'm sure it is extremely unlikely. The ID must be big enough that there are millions (if not billions) of possibilities. If it's not I question the logic of the Spektrum engineers.

Too bad HK doesn't have a manual posted for the module so we would know for sure what the button does.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:35 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
No it doesn't because somehow Spektrum got a patent on it.
i dont think so. with the orange stuff they didnt raise any patent issues and that never stopped the chinese anyway,

the real reason 9x has no model match is because the tx can only tx and flysky rx only rx. no two way communication which is required for model match.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:37 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
model match does indeed work on the 9x, you just need the right kind of dsm module and er9x
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:44 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
or just tape a spektrum radio to it. the reference to v2 seemed to indicate he was talking about a stock unit which cannot do v2 protocol and dsm together.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
looking interesting. Especially since Spektrum has said time and time again that they can't make a DSM2/DSMX module. Seems Orange has done something with the Spektrum Protocols that Spektrum can't do.

RCmodelreviews.com, I hope you are going to take a look at this.
They probably didnt want to, since ultimately its not an elegant solution.

Before HK made their module Hammer22 here on RCG's has been making one for JR/9x/Futaba/Hitec radios.

The issue with any of these modules is that you need to manually switch from DSM2 to DSMX modes, notice the HK one has 4 different modes.

I guess you can just stick to the 22ms DSM2 mode like the DM8 module and forget about it. Thats really the best use of the module anyways for BNF UM stuff...

Also note the box:

I guess we can expect a Futaba compatible module soon too.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:54 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
the real reason 9x has no model match is because the tx can only tx and flysky rx only rx. no two way communication which is required for model match.
2-way communication is not required.
Radio sends out the selected model no along with ID, stick info etc. If receiver sees a different model no than the one it received during binding, it doesn't respond.
It's however not possible to pass the model memory number over PPM to the TX module, so no PPM-based module will do model match.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:01 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
not having any actual experience i thought model match allowed the plane to select its own settings. i didnt realize the plane simply didnt work. bummer.