HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:20 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,722 Posts
Time Out

I just want to advise it will be a couple weeks before I start to populate the first few "INFO" posts here... I'll be on vacation and may only check in here once in a while.

I doubt many will get their camera before the New year anyway, so if you have some spare time while you're waiting, download Isoprop's configuration GUI and get familiar with it. You can give the time/date and function setting processes some trial runs if you have any flash drive connected to the computer. It doesn't have to be the camera drive to get the toggles to function, but a flash drive must be selected to activate the toggles and other routines that guide you through the process. You'll be able to generate (and open/examine) the configuration text file the GUI creates and the camera uses to load in your settings. You can edit the config file manually, if desired, with a plain text editor by setting the different "key" numbers shown in the config file.

If you have any questions or comments on the GUI interface functioning, feel free to post here. We've done a lot of testing, but likely have overlooked some thing in the rush to get the tool ready for the camera's release.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all who celebrate at this time of year!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:24 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Merry Christmas Tom!
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:22 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,282 Posts
Sweet work. I want one!
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:31 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,008 Posts
Have a good Xmas, hope the wather holds up for you.
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:06 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; Jun 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:21 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,282 Posts
Do you think it would be possible to extend the cable going from the len to the main board? I would love to put the main board/battery away from where I would like the lens
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:34 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
Last edited by EZCanuck; Dec 23, 2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:57 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCanuck View Post
How about no battery

Run the camera(s) off the RX if your ESC has enough capacity. I don't recommend this for anyone who doesn't know what they are doing. The camera has the internal battery removed but the PCB that was on the LiPo is internally installed on the #11. On the final released version of the #16 we will have to wait to see if the charge circuit is on the LiPo or the main PCB.

Rather than an external battery I connect to an unused channel on the RX with the + and - and no signal wire.

On my Easy Star I use a Turnegy 30A Plush or Turnegy Sentry 30A which have 2A @ 5V on the BEC which is more than enough to handle the extra load of the 808 #11 which I measure at about 260ma plus all servos

On my Radian the stock eFlite 30A ESC only delivers 700ma so it is NG. Change to Turnegy 30A on the Radian ( 2A BEC ) or Turnegy 40A Plush or Sentry with a 3A BEC. On my Radian Pro with 6 servos plus motor the 700ma stock ESC is definately NG. I use 40A Turnegy Sentry with 3A BEC

Another alternative is a standalone BEC and don't use the one on the ESC.

Here's the #11 drawing 260ma on record ( no lights ) Ya the meter is reversed but it is still 260ma

https://blu162.mail.live.com/?rru=in...65DDCB92%21689

Click "View original" to zoom in for details.
Your link doesn't work for me. Are you connecting 5V directly to the battery terminals on the #11 circuit board? I presume so, and the #11 was designed to handle that via the "special" cable wiring. The #16 does not have that, so I would not recommend going straight to the battery terminals on the circuit board with 5V on the #16. But you could go straight to the USB mini plug with standard USB pin outs.

Both #11 and #16 have battery charge management ICs on the circuitboard. The protection board on the cell only cuts power to/from the battery if over/under voltage is present. The #11 bypassed the charge management IC with the special cable and went straight to parallel connection with the internal battery relying on the battery protection board to chop power from the 5V source from reaching the battery terminals. The camera circuit was designed for that.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 16, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:57 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,282 Posts
Main reason is the easy place to put the lens and the rest away in harms way. I tend to fly low by FPV through trees etc. I would like the camera to last longer than my #11
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:11 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Hi Tom/Isoprop,

The GUI based configurator looks very good. It way more convenient that how #11 was done. Not sure if this has been asked before but would it have the functionality of updating future #16 firmwares?

Really appreciate all your hard work to make this camera better.
LevTor is offline Find More Posts by LevTor
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:15 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,362 Posts
Tom and Isoprop, I can't thank you two enough! Just looking over the specs and notes real quick, I think this new #16 will be the #11 that we always wanted. I'm happy to see the developer reading, listening, and actually caring about our wants/needs. Despite having just ordered a Jumbo #11 a couple days ago, I've ordered the #16 as well. (Better send eletoponline a message and see if it's too late the stop the Jumbo from shipping out... lol)

I can't wait to try this one out when it gets here!
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:22 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevTor View Post
Hi Tom/Isoprop,

The GUI based configurator looks very good. It way more convenient that how #11 was done. Not sure if this has been asked before but would it have the functionality of updating future #16 firmwares?

Really appreciate all your hard work to make this camera better.
The firmware updating is so simple it doesn't need a GUI to do it. You simply copy the firmware file to the camera flash card and turn on the camera, the detects and loads the firmware automatically, then turns itself off! Then delete the firmware file from the card by either of two methods described in the Camera HELP file in the GUI. If you have the GUI and have not looked in the HELP file... DO SO! It will answer just about every question you have on how the camera functions. You won't need any written user guides with the camera when you have the GUI!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:24 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Any video samples of the #16 out yet?
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_io View Post
Any video samples of the #16 out yet?
Go to the #11 thread... latter discussion there is mostly #16 stuff... with video samples.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
Last edited by EZCanuck; Dec 23, 2011 at 06:56 AM.