HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:52 PM
CO
Joined Sep 2005
93 Posts
Discussion
DLE 30CC battery setup

I bought a Sbach with a 30cc DLE and being I am new to the gasoline engines, I was hoping somebody might be able to help. I understand that the engine needs needs between 4.8 and 6 volts for the ignition system. What size, voltage and type of battery is recommended? Lipo, Nimh, Nicad etc.? Would you run a higher voltage and put a regulator on it? Thanks for the help!
ctyankee is offline Find More Posts by ctyankee
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:27 PM
Standish, Maine
Joined Mar 2008
38 Posts
I use a 1500 mah 4.8 volt nimh on the ignition. Plenty for 5 to 6 fifteen minute flights. I like to keep it simple. You can use Lipo, but you should use a regulator. Do you have the Pilot R/C Sbach? That's what I have. You will love the way it flies!
schizm is offline Find More Posts by schizm
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:27 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,078 Posts
My DLE 30 was good for a whole weekend of flying with a 7.4V 2600Mahr LIPO battery. But you need a regulator with that.
Fokker DII is online now Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:29 PM
CO
Joined Sep 2005
93 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is any advantage or disadvantage to running the higher end of the volts or low end? Yes, I bought the Pilot. I am very impressed with the quality! I told my wife that if it flys as good as it looks it ought to be a real winner. I am not much into 3d (still struggling with learning!). I enjoy aerobatics though.
ctyankee is offline Find More Posts by ctyankee
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:47 PM
Standish, Maine
Joined Mar 2008
38 Posts
I don't believe that going with voltages on the higher end has any advantage. Higher capacity batteries will let you fly longer between charges. Yes the Pilot kits are very nice indeed! If you are not into the 3d stuff yet, I would set the cg in the center of the wing tube, not at the rear of the tube per the manual. The elevator is very touchy with cg at the manuals' suggestion. I fly basic IMAC type flying and center of the wing tube seems about right. Good luck with it!
schizm is offline Find More Posts by schizm
Old Sep 02, 2014, 11:38 AM
I like Golden Age
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2007
235 Posts
I use two genuine A123 packs at 2300 mah each (Genuine A123 systems batteries, not LifePO4).
I run them each through their own on/off switch and into a "smart fly battery share" that goes into 2 slots in the receiver. One slot is the battery slot and the other is any open receiver slot.
Now, on just one of those two battery packs I have (2) battery leads. One of those leads goes to the receiver and the other to the electronic ignition.
Those two A123 packs are more than enough to run the receiver and the ignition for many flights. You still get the safety of two batteries to the receiver, but you don't need to have a three battery pack setup like some folks do.
(The smart fly unit always powers the receiver from the battery with the most power.)
In any case, I always top off the two packs after 2 or three flights. A123 will charge up in just a few minuets (typically less than 5). After 3 flights I have found that I only put around 400mah back into the packs.
400 of 4600mah. not bad.
I love genuine A123 batteries.
ronj10 is offline Find More Posts by ronj10
Last edited by ronj10; Sep 02, 2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2014, 12:11 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,078 Posts
I have started using LIFE batteries instead of LiPo's since my post of 2 years ago. I buy Cheetahs, not A123 but never a problem so far/. I understand the desirability of dual systems, but in my simpler (less expensive) planes I fly a single 2300MAh LIFE. It runs the 30CC ignition and 6 channels of servos for over an hour of flying time. I charge at home and it only takes 500- 800 Mah to fill and balance it depending if I fly the hour or sometimes 1 1/2 hr. I time my usage. I do run an AeroTech IBEC set at 5.5V output.
Fokker DII is online now Find More Posts by Fokker DII