HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:26 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
The Technical Info/FAQ page for the Super Sky Surfer can be found at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22886340

Another interesting motor for the SSS: http://www.electrifly.com/motors/gpmg4505.html

Scroll down to the "Rimfire .46". 4725 outrunner, 1000W continuous, 1850W burst, 800KV, 5-6s LiPo, 9.5oz. They recommend a 60A ESC. Specs describe it turning a 10x5 or 11x5 two-blade electric prop, both too big for the SSS's motor mount without modification. I wonder how it would do with a 9x6 three-blade or 9x7 three-blade?

Manual here, it mentions a max surge current of 100A(!). http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/rimfi...tem-manual.pdf

Amazon.com says they have 20 left, for $99.94 each. http://www.amazon.com/Great-Planes-4...ds=rimfire+.46
They say it comes from Toysonics (Los Angeles), but Toysonics' site says they don't have them(?).
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 08, 2012 at 03:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:08 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,792 Posts
Done with this thread.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Oct 10, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
People were trying to educate in this thread and give proper power system advice but it was falling on deaf ears as it was being drowned in post after post of "experimentation". I knew a 3900KV would not work but the advice was ignored. The stock motor is good for 4S but apparently since a piece of paper shows 3S that must be wrong. I stand by my statement, because if a person does not understand how a 3900KV motor will not work with an 8" prop then they will not understand why 4S will work on the stock motor. Harsh? Maybe, but the truth. I am getting tired of reading posts that would be better in a blog or personal journal. It is why I left in the first place and why I will probably leave again. I don't mind experimentation, do what you want, but this thread is for the plane not a personal blog and that is what is irritating the rest of us.
+1 Don. Experimentation is well, good and fun but should be done with common sense and safety, especially if being promoted in a public forum. In this case motors, Props and ESCs have been haphazardly combined with no analysis and no regard as to the consequences. Fortunately no harm was done, but that and other hair-brained ideas like reversing the motor in flight can cause damage. The SSS is not a toy. It is a 4 1/2 pound missile with a set of whirling teeth. Kick the power up to 1000 watts and it could be lethal. Some seem to have a "so what, don't care" attitude about the whole thing, which is inappropriate IMO.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Oct 08, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:51 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,877 Posts
And fell the same with FPVs. FPV is fine, its really interesting ...up to a point. It gets boring when everybody doing the same thing. After while, the outside starts to look the same to me. Do something different like go through a tunnel or under a bridge or something.... Something! But if that how my brothers here express themselves... well, I can't stop them and I'm darn well aint going nowhere because this is a very NICE plane.

So if you want to leave, please don't. Your input is valued here as well as any place on the RCG .Not because you own "Don's motors"(Or anyone else) but because you're helping us understand stuff. ( I still have a question I still can't put my finger on). But, if you HAVE to go, well, we'll still be here until you fell like coming back.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:01 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
I will erase this post when the aforementioned noise stops.

On edit:

Done.
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Dec 19, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Do something different like go through a tunnel or under a bridge or something.... Something!
Like this?

If the lonk does not work look up The Best of Crazy Horst on Vimeo. It is the best in-flight video ever.

Best of Crazy Horst (7 min 49 sec)
Last edited by kaptondave; Oct 08, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:55 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,877 Posts
YES YES YES YESSSSS! Like THAT!!!!

That's like a guy did years ago in NY of all places. I think with a zaggy .

I know everyone can't and won't do there plane like that but, that does make a big difference. And that was so entertaining!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:20 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Like this?
That's great and very enjoyable to watch!!!

Thanks for posting...
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:26 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I'm the only one who has mentioned using 3900KV motors here, so I guess you mean me. I found the first two 2835-3900KV motors I tried, worked beautifully, resulting in long flights, vertical climb capability, and components that did not overheat in my regular SS and Easystar. I detailed those results extensively, here and elsewhere, and did not demand that others "take my word for it", nor try to prevent them from expressing ideas contrary to mine. When somebody (and here I mean you) showed up and simply announced that 3900KV motors "wouldn't work" in such an application, of course I ignored it, and simply pointed out what these 3900KV motors had already done. I tend to take concrete results over unbacked assertions.

Then when I tried a third, larger 3900KV motor (3650) and found it did not perform with a larger prop as the first two had, repeatedly underrevving and overheating, I straightforwardly reported that too, with data showing the failure, and admitted that apparently my opinions formed from my earlier experience might not extend to all cases, saying that perhaps the first two motors were exceptions ("freaks") and larger 3900KVs might indeed be unsuitable for the propellers I was using. I also took the unsuitable 3900KV out of the SSS and put the original motor back in, to try that one with a 4s battery (successfully, as others here had earlier found).

In the meantime, you still provided little or no info to back up your blanket condemnations, but started posting snide comments and derogatory unrelated videos to try to belittle other posters, I presume including me, even as I was providing the proof you never did.

I'm guessing your angst over my drawing conclusions from hard data I had developed instead of obediently accepting your commands, comes from your strange jealousy over not being accepted as the biggest fish in the local pond, and outrage over others having the effrontery to try to find things out on their own. But I don't care about its origins, since I came here to talk about the SSS, and have been doing my best to list what I found and encourage other enthusiasts to do the same. Which, by the way, is what this thread is really for.

The same piece of paper states that the ESC can only handle 4 or 5 servos, despite the plane having six. You didn't mind accepting that part of the paper without question, and I spread your good word several times (though later I showed that questioning it might be appropriate).

Your choice. Though I asked you to come back in a PM the first time, I probably won't bother a second time.

Your posts here indicate otherwise.

We would all do well to remember that, TheDon. Most posters have, you know, to their credit.

I've said my piece, after being provoked. The rest (if any) will be handled in PMs, as it should have been all along.

Now can we stop this childish bitching and chest-thumping, and get back to talking about the Super Sky Surfer? PLEASE???

I will erase this post when the aforementioned noise stops.
Me thinks acorn likes to hear himself talk to much, all the experimenting your doing is fine ,but man we dont need to know every damn thing you try,so calm down as it is you that has hijaked this thread in my opinion, with all the post after post after post of experimenting.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:06 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Me thinks acorn likes to hear himself talk to much, all the experimenting your doing is fine ,but man we dont need to know every damn thing you try,so calm down as it is you that has hijaked this thread in my opinion, with all the post after post after post of experimenting.
Good point. I'll cut it back.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
The hijack is something that bothers me also. He jumped in after more than 800 posts and staked out a territory by leaving a string of shell posts that he is using like a personal blog.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:17 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,877 Posts
Ha. Man, LA. You're really gettin the devil...

Is there anyone else that can tell me what to look out for with SSS that we all need to know? Has anyone made any air scoops or holes in the fuse for cooling?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Ha. Man, LA. You're really gettin the devil...

Is there anyone else that can tell me what to look out for with SSS that we all need to know? Has anyone made any air scoops or holes in the fuse for cooling?
i did cut a oblong opening in the nose just like the one in a video posted earlier in this thread.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:53 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,877 Posts
I may do that sometime this week too. Not unless I get a brainstorm and cut a scoop somewhere. But I'll try to keep it simple.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,281 Posts
Quote:
I may do that sometime this week too. Not unless I get a brainstorm and cut a scoop somewhere. But I'll try to keep it simple.
in the same video the guy put a scoop on top