SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2014, 04:38 PM
Joined Nov 2013
3 Posts
Help!
Grauper jet drive #2349

Hey all,
I've got myself in a real pickle. My Frank's Mosquito Boat PBR kit with two Graupner #2349 jet drives has a borker impeller blade, (plastic), which I have been unable to find. I've searched Ebay, Ebay UK, Craigslist and various single model boat outlets with no success. If anyone has any ideas or would sell me a impeller shaft or complete jet drive, I'd buy it. This is a very nice and expensive RC boat; I hate to see it just sitting on my mantle.

Chuck
chs51 is offline Find More Posts by chs51
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2014, 08:13 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,596 Posts
have you tried http://sicrc.com/Parts.aspx ?
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Oct 22, 2014, 08:29 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,276 Posts
Graupner VS NQD

The NQD is virtually a "knockoff" of the Graupner. (Sorry, the shaft on the NQD has a smaller diameter). Furthermore, the NQD will only accept 28mm motors. (Graupner will accept a 36mm motor).

The Graupner has a 3mm shaft and the NQD is 2.3mm (Too bad you can't use a NQD impeller in a Graupner)

The first picture shows how close the two are.

The second picture shows:

Graupner

NQD

ProBoat

KMB

In that order....From the the bottom up....
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Old Oct 22, 2014, 08:51 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,276 Posts
You could remove the Graupner's and use the cheaper NQD's. It would help to use 28mm brushless motors with a KV rating the drives can hold up to.

Not a Traxxas Velineon! (the KV is way too high for these smaller jet drives) It will work for a short time, but eventually, the drive will fail.

Use a 2845 motor with a KV between 2200KV and 2800KV. Use a marine 35 Amp ESC.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 08:52 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
NO!! Wrong shaft diameter!! These are for NQD (2.3 mm)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 09:24 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,276 Posts
KMB Would be better!!

I realize the KMB's are too tall for the transom on your hull.

Sadly, they really do fit, but there's no clearance for steering and reverse rods.

The KMB's are the proper scale and they can make this boat move with ease.

The real issue is the hull itself. IT'S WRONG!! The overhang on the transom is 1/2" too low!! I look at the pictures of the real boat and the lower transom is slightly taller with more clearance for the drives.

A 1/2" is just what you need to make them fit properly.

This is something I could modify in an afternoon, but I have the tools and material to do it. I could perform plastic surgery to raise the bottom of the overhang and extend the lower transom higher. I realize that not everybody has the means to do this kind of work and that's bad news for me. I could sell a lot more jet drives if they would work properly on this hull.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:57 PM
Joined Nov 2013
3 Posts
jet drive issue

So I'm not sure what you recommend; replace both the Graupner's with NQD's (and loose the reverse) as well as changing both the motors and ESC's or replacing with KMB's which includes major surgery. Maybe I should have a shaft custom made? Would you be willing to, on a commission basis, do the exchange?
chs51 is offline Find More Posts by chs51
Old Oct 23, 2014, 07:22 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs51 View Post
So I'm not sure what you recommend; replace both the Graupner's with NQD's (and loose the reverse) as well as changing both the motors and ESC's or replacing with KMB's which includes major surgery. Maybe I should have a shaft custom made? Would you be willing to, on a commission basis, do the exchange?
I'm just floating ideas. I may do a build for sale (now and then), but I don't work on other peoples boats. I just don't want to be responsible for something going wrong.

You could buy some NQD impellers and attempt to bore them out to 3mm and stick them on you old shaft.

You would need to (carefully) cut your old impeller off.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 03:17 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,386 Posts
Get two 2blade race props (per jet unit) with 3 mm shaft size (and new shafts too) and do what my mate has done on his scratchbuilt drives for his LCS2, the two props are on same shaft at 90 degrees to each other forming an impeller like setup.( SEE PICs) This has given his beast a much improved performance!!
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Oct 29, 2014, 05:28 PM
He who has the most toys wins.
Australia, QLD, Mooloolaba
Joined Apr 2013
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs51 View Post
Hey all,
I've got myself in a real pickle. My Frank's Mosquito Boat PBR kit with two Graupner #2349 jet drives has a borker impeller blade, (plastic), which I have been unable to find. I've searched Ebay, Ebay UK, Craigslist and various single model boat outlets with no success. If anyone has any ideas or would sell me a impeller shaft or complete jet drive, I'd buy it. This is a very nice and expensive RC boat; I hate to see it just sitting on my mantle.

Chuck
Hi Chuck, you're in luck buddy I happen to have genuine Graupner mini jet impellers/shafts, how many do you want, they're $10 each. I also have a couple of complete drives for $75 each.

Steve.
ondabeach is offline Find More Posts by ondabeach