HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:26 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2 Posts
Discussion
FMS ASW-28 Servo Malfunction

I'm new to the hobby, so it's possible I've somehow mad a mistake here, however I believe a failed/shorted servo in my new ASW-28 just ended its life.

The plane was flying very nicely for several circuits, when all of the sudden it flew straight down, from about 100' under what seemed to be full power, with no control of any of the 4 channels.

The fuselage, motor, bulkhead/firewall, canopy, prop and this servo are all toast. When I picked up all of the pieces and brought them home, I started to diagnose the electronics, and found that when this servo was plugged in, I would lose control of the rest of the system.

I removed the servo, opened it up and two leads were fused together. Now, I'm new to this hobby, like I said. So maybe I had this thing wired up wrong, or used the wrong battery, or something like that.

I'm wondering though, if anyone else has had this issue with FMS servos, or if this might fall under operator error somehow.

I used the FMS 4CH receiver and transmitter, motor and since my battery was not included in the box, a 2200mah 11.1V 3S 25C that I bought from my hobby store was used. I understand that the mah rating on this pack is larger than the one that should have come with the plane, but from what I've read more mah just gives a longer run-time.

Any thoughts?
Orangetang is offline Find More Posts by Orangetang
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:46 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,170 Posts
A servo wont make the whole radio not work, That could have happened in the crash. Sounds like the radio maybe the problem. There not all that great
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:00 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify.

If you cut the pig tail off a servo, stripped the ends and twisted them together, the entire radio system should still function?

I don't understand what you're saying. What could have happened in the crash? The servo wiring issue?

It sounds like a pretty big coincidence that I'm able to reproduce an uncontrollable aircraft scenario, by plugging in a shorted servo, and doing nothing else.

Removing the servo allows full control of the remaining channels, and moving the channels around confirms the aileron channel is functioning without problems. Even on another aircraft.

You should do the experiment and twist some ends together and plug it in if it can't make the whole radio not work. I'm assuming you mean RADIO, as you typed it, and not radio system or receiver, or whatever.
Orangetang is offline Find More Posts by Orangetang
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:48 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,170 Posts
The Transmitter and Receiver that come with those RTF planes are junk, You can plug a servo in backwards and it wont work , it wont short it out. Its like Christmas lights, when one burns out they still work. Get yourself a better radio system and your problems will go away
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis