HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2009, 04:28 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Discussion
Marutaka/Royal Stearman Rebuild

A couple of years ago, I purchased a ready-built Marutaka Stearman. Wing span 1736 mm (68"), scale 1/5.65.

Although declared as airworthy, it was far from such. When buying the model I was aware of that so no disappointments here.

I removed all the gear and ripped off the covering. I found a lot of 3 mm (1/8") plywood in the model. Way too much. And mostly in wrong place: in the tail end. I managed to grind off 200 g from the tail. That means I can save 800 g in nose weight, making a total of 1 kg saving in total weight. Not too bad.

For a new engine I purchased a Titan ZG 20.

/ilkka/
I. Klemetti is offline Find More Posts by I. Klemetti
Last edited by I. Klemetti; Nov 08, 2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Title edited
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:32 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
A very distinctive feature in a Stearman is its uncowled radial engine. As I was able to find some Williams Bros plastic scale cylinders I decided to build a better fake engine.

The crankcase is made from balsa and plywood.

The cylinders are for 1/6 scale Pratt & Whitney Wasp. The Wasp is larger than the Continental W670 I wanted to model. However, the cylinders' slightly smaller scale compensates for the size difference perfectly. I reversed the valve covers to get the pushrods on the backside like they are on Continental. I also had to re-engineer the intake and exhaust pipes locations. The Williams kits provided a lot of plastic nuts which I could utilize to decorate the crankcase.

/ilkka/
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:36 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
The instrument panels are quite a visible feature on a Stearman. I made the panels from balsa sheet, some overhead projector film and solder. The gauge faces are laser printed images of real instruments. The screw heads were made from drops of white glue. The weight of the panels is 4 g each.

/ilkka/
Old Jan 02, 2010, 07:30 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Too cold to get the garage warmed up for sanding and painting jobs. An activity suitable for indoors is making the rib stitching.

I ironed narrow strips of Solartex on the plain Solartex covering and simulated the stitchings with white glue dosed from a syringe. The whole was then covered with Toni Clark (Germany) pinking tape. The tape material is like soft and thin vinyl sticker with glue on backside.

Now that I have practiced on the undersides I can proceed to the upper surfaces.

/ilkka/
Old Jan 02, 2010, 08:29 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
I didn't want you to think no one was watching! Cool plane and some great details going into it! I love that radial engine! Nice job!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Jan 03, 2010, 04:59 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,617 Posts
Thanks for showing us how you made the radial.

I have some Williams Bros cylinders, and plant to do something similar.

You've given me a few ideas.

Thanks !!!
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 06, 2010, 06:26 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Jodini and Tom, I just want you to know that your threads on RCGroups are endless sources of inspiration for me. I'm reading them regularly and learn something new almoset every time. Thanks for your contribution.

I didn't know how hard it is to find a pilot bust of right size and style. I needed '40s American military training pilots. Unable to find ones I decided to try to make them.

I managed to get a handful of used Action Man style figures for a couple of euros. However I needed little larger pilots. So I cut off the faces of the dolls and made slightly bigger heads from foam. The smaller scale faces were a perfect fit to larger scale heads.

Next step was to collect some pairless socks to make turtleneck and scarf. The leather jackets were made from -- leather. There is no sewing involved, it's just cut 'n paste affair. The zipper is electrical wire strand wound around a pin and then stretched. If you want the zipper really mesh remember to wind the pairs in opposite directions

The older guy will sit in the rear cockpit and he is leaning a bit to the left and looking to the left. He'll fly the airplane. The younger dude is looking straight forward and watching the RPM gauge (on the ground) or the airspeed indicator (in the air).

They weigh 19 grams apiece. The plastic face alone is 6 grams.

/ilkka/
Old Jan 06, 2010, 07:04 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,617 Posts
Boy, I'm glad that I'm subscribed to this thread !!!
Old Jan 06, 2010, 07:51 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
WOW! You do some amazing work! You should sell those pilots! Great idea!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:40 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
You should sell those pilots!
These individuals will definitely be for sale if they won't learn how to fly a Stearman.

To further postpone sanding and painting I tinkered with the windscreens. After making a cardboard template I cut out the transparent parts. I scored the plastic at the fold on the outer surface and bent to shape. Filling the (scored) groove with epoxy made the bends quite solid.

The frames were cut from litho plate. Very easy material to cut, just regular scissors will do. Litho plate aluminum is easy to form, too. You don't need any special tools, just a clamp and a pair of sharp edged pieces of wood.

I tack glued the windscreens on the fuselage and assembled the frames in situ. Due to this construction method they became a perfect match to the fuse. Total weght for two windscreens is 15 grams.

/ilkka/
Last edited by I. Klemetti; Jan 11, 2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:44 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,617 Posts
Nice work. You're very talented !!!
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:38 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Thanks, Tom. You are so polite, as usual.

Plain model airplane wheels with collars visible don't look very scale. So I fabricated wheel covers and brake backplates from balsa to hide collars and make the illusion of larger diameter wheels. The discs are tissue covered on both sides for strength.

The fake suspension links are from plywood and balsa. Everything will be painted later...

/ilkka/
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:08 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,617 Posts
You're adding some great details ! What's next ?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:31 AM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,240 Posts
Great Job Mr. Klemetti!
Twinwarbirdflier is offline Find More Posts by Twinwarbirdflier
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:45 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
What's next ?
The airplane itself, I'm afraid.

I painted the rudder from a rattle can to see how the rib stitching works out. First timer as I am I am very pleased with the result. I have never had such a beautiful rudder before. It definitely pays of to follow you masters' build threads. Thanks a lot for teaching.

The fuel lines on the upper wing has to be removable as the wing is one piece without a separate center section. I attached the sumps with small magnets and some aligning pins. The fuel gauge is removable too. You don't expect it to remain intact during transport if it were permanently attached.

/ilkka/