Old Aug 06, 2015, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by kingsflyer
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,478 Posts
New Product
Phoenix Model Sea Bee GP/EP

Phoenix Model has updated their popular Sea Bee ARF to include an electric power option. The update includes a huge cockpit/battery hatch for easy access to the battery area as well as a really nice plywood electric motor mount with proper aluminum standoffs and mounting bolts. The model still maintains its gas power roots and includes a glow motor mount and fuel tank if you still want to choose the glow power option. The updated model has eliminated the cumbersome 1-piece wing and it now includes a 2-piece bolt-on wing with an aluminum wing spar for easier transport and field assembly.

The RCGroups formal Review of the Sea Bee is posted online and you can see the detailed assembly process here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2385057

Tower Hobbies is showing the Sea Bee ARF as "In Stock" at this time and the price is very impressive at only $134.97!

Here is the video of the Sea Bee flying Pattern type maneuvers on 6S with a 10x5E prop:

Phoenix Model Sea Bee (6 min 22 sec)

Even though the Sea Bee has deep F3A pattern roots, it is a wonderful Sport Plane as well. It has outstanding Sport Plane performance with a 4-cell 4000-5000 mah battery pack and a 13x6.5E APC prop. Did I mention it is a real bargain at less than $140?

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Aug 06, 2015 at 10:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2015, 01:05 PM
Find More Posts by marmalade1
United States, IL, Wheaton
Joined Sep 2013
207 Posts
Thank you for sharing a great review/ photos /video!

That's great value and as far as I can tell seems to be the only smaller pattern type plane that I see in that price range (Kaos?).

I looked at this as a replacement for a Sig SE (ended up getting another SE, but the ARF is pricey for a 51" plane!).

Enjoy.

PD.
marmalade1 is online now Find More Posts by marmalade1
Old Aug 06, 2015, 03:27 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,478 Posts
The Sig Something Extra makes a very nice Sport Plane, but it falls pretty short as a Pattern Plane. The SE is priced over $200, and for the difference in price, you can almost buy the Rimfire .46 motor.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Aug 06, 2015, 11:33 PM
Find More Posts by marmalade1
United States, IL, Wheaton
Joined Sep 2013
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
The Sig Something Extra makes a very nice Sport Plane, but it falls pretty short as a Pattern Plane. The SE is priced over $200, and for the difference in price, you can almost buy the Rimfire .46 motor.

McD
Yes, agreed. I realized the Sig SE isn't a pattern plane; I was just starting to get used to its acrobatic side when I lost it. I wanted to continue to enjoy its fun flying style.

I could do with an ARF pattern type plane. I prefer 60 size, but 40 is good too.

PD
marmalade1 is online now Find More Posts by marmalade1
Old Aug 09, 2015, 07:29 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,478 Posts
I've updated the first post in the Review to include information on 4-cell battery usage and prop recommendations. Looks like the 12x6 provides excellent Pattern performance and the 13x6.5 is spectacular for Sport flying on 4-cell packs. The Sea Bee has turned out to be a very versatile plane.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Aug 09, 2015, 02:45 PM
Find More Posts by scottc39
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,705 Posts
The Sea Bee looks blue and white in the video, I want a blue and white one
scottc39 is offline Find More Posts by scottc39