New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2015, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
4,493 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyeagle A3 Pro SE gyro for aircraft

The old Starmax F/A-18 was the initial the test plane for a Hobbyeagle A3 Pro SE gyro and the results were excellent. So good that we put one in our Sabre, Phantom, Mirage and L-39 (more to follow). This little gyro comes with the connecting leads and two sided tape for mounting. We have used velcro in some of the planes and seems to work fine too. It just gets connected between the receiver and servo leads. We didn't bother hooking up the fourth lead to make the gyro "selectable" in flight as I can't see any reason to turn it off. In all the planes, I selected the low gain setting with the selection button and led lights (no computer needed). The three additional gain pots seem fine in the original middle position.
The Mirage (being a delta wing) required the TX mixing to be removed as the gyro does all the mixing. The Mirage has never felt so locked in when flying.
All the planes fly much more solid and don't get bounced around in the wind as much. Since the rudder channel is hooked to our nose wheel steering, the plane tracks straight on the runway as well. The trim positions and control throws will need adjusting on the transmitter with each installation but once set, things don't change like some other gyros I've tried.
Highly recommended, especially for the price of $21!
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2015, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Joined Dec 2013
5,196 Posts
Nice 4-stripes...never used gyros before but at those prices it's interesting .. May try one to see the benefits..are you saying that apart from hooking up on low rates that all you have to do is just do the usual manual trimming on your Tx in flight & everything's in order?? Thanks ...
HellHathNoFury is offline Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Old Jul 12, 2015, 07:00 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
4,493 Posts
It is simple. Set gyro gain to "small" (default is medium). Check that gyro reacts correctly to movement of aircraft (surfaces should resist the motion you introduce by rolling, yawning and pitching model before flight). Both the gain and reversing gyro response is done with the button and instructions. Similar to manually programming an ESC only you are watching flashing LEDs. Reset your trims to make surfaces trimmed as before the gyro was installed. Then set control throws to your past travel. The gyro seems to slightly change trim position and control throw so minor resetting is required.
Fly the plane and add or reduce control throws as desired.
That is all it takes.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:41 PM
Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Joined Dec 2013
5,196 Posts
Thanks.. Sounds good..so what is the difference between it & the A3 Super 11. & New version A3??
HellHathNoFury is offline Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Old Jul 13, 2015, 06:00 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
4,493 Posts
They have some comparisons on the manufacturers website. This gyro is the base model. I think the others may be better at 3D flying. Some have more ports for dual aileron and elevator setups.
For my models with standard radio installation the basic gyro is fine.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by bidule
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,554 Posts
I order one for my Yf23 . Should be here today.Will be interesting to compare to the I gyro 3D .
Ad list the A3 is affordable and have a Sbus port.
bidule is online now Find More Posts by bidule
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:14 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
4,493 Posts
The Ready2Fly Venom battery/electronics compartment was too cramped to mount the gyro flat so it was mounted on its side and we swapped the rudder and elevator functions to make this mounting configuration work.
Last edited by 4stripes; Jul 13, 2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by bidule
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,554 Posts
I have a feeling I can't use the Gyro with Xbus (Jr) I will test the unit in a corsair first.
Very compact unit.
bidule is online now Find More Posts by bidule
Old Jul 13, 2015, 08:05 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
4,493 Posts
The compact shape is handy and I'm only using a conventional RX.
BTW the Venom flies like the other jets we've upgraded. Very solid and predictable. I did turn down the aileron "pot" slightly to remove a very small oscillation in cruise.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 07:03 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
4,493 Posts
Today had some very strong winds and I had a few hours to spare so we tested the Venom and Hunter with gyros to see how they handled the turbulence. The Hunter had a slight tail wag so the rudder gain was increased by turning the pot about 30 degrees more sensitive from the mid position. This solved the wag and the plane flew like it was on rails. Next we flew the Venom and also increased the rudder gain (actually the "elev" pot as the unit is mounted on its side and the controls had to be switched). There was still some wag but it was much less. The wings of both planes stay nice and level during landings which would not have been the case without a gyro in today's wind. The only thing different about landing with the gyro is that much less elevator is held when speed is bled off. This gives less indication to the pilot that the plane has slowed. In future flights I plan to reduce the elevator sensitivity considerably so that the feel will be returned.
Old Aug 02, 2015, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
Joined Dec 2000
7,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidule View Post
I have a feeling I can't use the Gyro with Xbus (Jr) I will test the unit in a corsair first.
Very compact unit.
Not in XBus mode but in conventional yes
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini