Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:41 PM
Find More Posts by Larrikin
Everything's A Compromise
Joined Jan 2005
1,855 Posts
Discussion
Soaring in SE-Qld MRSSA Style

Greetings,

This thread is for the general discussion regarding aspects of RC soaring in SE Qld and Northern NSW as it relates to the Moreton Region Sports Soaring Association (MRSSA on RCG) and MRSSA WEB SITE

Should discussions degrade into politics, politics or politics, don't be offended when I delete your post(s) ... you've been informed.

For those new to RC Groups, welcome. Please take a few moments to register. I have been registered for almost 10 years and I can relay with confidence that your info is safe and that your email inbox will not be bombarded with junk. (as at the time of writing)

David

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...

2015 r/c sailplane events for SE Qld and northern NSW so far. Note that some dates need to be confirmed.

February.........- Harrisville Hootenanny 21st -22nd aka Kev's Kalamity or Smeaton's Sailplane Struggle
March.............- Scenic Rim Aerotow 21st - 22nd (venue TBA)
April................- MAAA Nats Harrisville 10th to 14th -
.......................- State of Origin Lismore 2nd - 3rd May (venue TBA)
May................- Durrumboi Duration Gympie 16th -17th
.......................- Rolf's Aerotow 30th (to be confirmed)
June...............- Jerilderie 6th-8th
July................- Susan River Aerotow 4th-5th
August...........- Monto 15th - 16th
September....- Glide-A-Fair 26th-27th
October.........- Southern Downs Soaring Toowoomba TARMAC field 10th-11th
November.....- Susan River Thermal Comp 7th-8th
December.....- Club X-mas Party 13th

Nats Registration and Practise flying - Saturday 11th
Hand launch - Sunday 12th and Monday 13th 0830 to 1030
Thermal Soaring - Sunday 12th 1100 to 1500, Monday 13th 1100 to 1500 Tuesday 14th 0830 to 1300 1300-1300 presentation.
Back-up day - Wednesday
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Larrikin; Feb 09, 2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Events for 2015 added
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:48 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,855 Posts
Next Event

The next event on our comp calendar is the Susan River Thermal Comp. on the 8-9th of November.

This comp will be flown to the Australian Thermal Rules with FAI landing spots and no dropped rounds.

The Hervey Bay Model Aero Club are our gracious hosts and the MRSSA members and fellow competitors greatly appreciate the use of the magnificent field located behind the Susan River Homestead.

David
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Rubicon
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:45 PM
Find More Posts by Ezza
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,239 Posts
This is great to have a thread for the MRSSA on RCGroups. Thanks David!

Subscribed.

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:05 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,855 Posts
You're very welcome, Eric.

If, as a new member to RCG, you find yourself subscribing to a few different threads, rather than receiving email notifications for all of them, you have the option to NOT receive email notifications and view your subscribed threads using the "My RCGroups" button at the top, left of the page.

I found this to be a better solution to receiving emails when a thread was posted to.
Although, by that stage, I'd become a RCG addict and didn't need reminding to check for new posts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,594 Posts
Good job
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:48 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,855 Posts
Martin Vels Memorial Durramboi Challenge

This is Kev's report from the comp held over the weekend.
See the attached PDFs for the scores.

"Hi All,

This weekend we enjoyed a real treat. Evan & Christine Bengtson open up their property at Durramboi Creek, just north of Curra, for the running of the inaugural running of the Durramboi Martin Vels Memorial Cup. A big, big thank you from all of us.

What a superb venue this is. Martin, our good friend and life member of MRSSA would have absolutely loved it. The field is an easy 2 1/2 hours drive north of Brisbane CBD and reminded me a lot of the Pierces Creek field, while, at the same time, being quite different. Pierces Creek is greener, with higher hills surrounding it, but both are nice big flat areas fringed on three sides by trees - both are very nice spots to hold a thermal glider competition. Ev & Chris's field was mown short and a lot easier to walk on than Pierces Creek. Similar again was the thermal activity. They were there but seldom were a gift. They were sometimes tricky to find and even more tricky to stay with - seldom was your flight a relaxing 10 minutes.

Christine, with help from Michelle, Tee and others (I think), put on the best BBQ I reckon we have ever had at a competition. Thanks.

The wind was the only downside of the weekend. It was with us for most of the weekend, never strong enough to stop us from flying, but stronger than we would have liked. Have to work on this for next time Ev.

We had 12 entrants, and flew 13 rounds during the weeked - 7 on Saturday and 6 on Sunday.

Congratulations to all who came and made the weekend happen, Congratulations to the competition winners, Karl Knack, Ross Ginder and Brian Ford (trophys are on their way), and congratulations to Karl as the first holder of the Martin Vels Memoral Trophy.

I have attached blow by blow score cards. Have a look at the landings leader board - Good one Liam.

Kevin"

The video is the privately owned field that we have been invited to fly from. Sorry about the wind across the mic.

Durramboi Field (0 min 58 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,391 Posts
Dave, are there any guys in the club that actively fly DLG's, in comps or otherwise ?
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Oct 25, 2014, 03:17 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S View Post
Dave, are there any guys in the club that actively fly DLG's, in comps or otherwise ?
More "otherwise" than comps. Both Liam and I fly Dream Flight Libelles in the park next door. I'm sure there are lurkers. JD, Spaino off the top of my head.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2014, 04:53 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,855 Posts
I've been following the USA F3B team selection comp over the weekend.
It was held in Perris , CA, ... S/E of Los Angeles.

It would be great if there was more interest in F3B locally as it is my competition of choice. Meh ... Cest La Vie.

There's a few images in this GALLERY HERE

In this video, a pilot is flying his Task C "Speed" heat.
When it's your turn to fly, you're given 4 minutes to post a score that consists of flying 4 legs of a 150 meter course in the shortest time. The pilot that achieves the quickest time gets 1000 points and every other pilot receives a percentage of the quickest pilot's score. ie, if the fastest time is 14 seconds (1000 points) and you have a poor launch or other issue and fly a 28 second course then you'll get a 500 point score. Anyhoo, I digress.

In the video, his 4 minute Working Time has started, the clock is counting down.
His helper gets the model away, but near the top of the launch ... the line breaks

He needs to get back onto the ground, return to a new winch and get back in the air again ... remember ... the clock is ticking, hence the urgency in the helper at getting the model back to the winch line.
The model gets away again and completes a successful launch.

Standing at one end the course, the pilot flies the model "behind" or "outside" of the end of the course, attempting to maintain as much height as possible. If he's lucky and encounters lift, he may even gain altitude while heading for the course entry point. When the model crosses behind the entry line, a tone from the signaller is heard to confirm he's "outside" the course.

Then you'll see the pilot roll the model over and dive, completing a 180 degree change in direction. A double signal is heard to confirm he is on the course and his time has started.

If you observe carefully, you can see that the pilot anticipates the turns and commits to the turn BEFORE the signal is herd. If you're a real junky, you'll have a stopwatch and be timing the flight I get about 16.1 secs

F3B TS Friday Speed (1 min 57 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Larrikin; Oct 26, 2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 05:54 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,855 Posts
Here's some nicely edited footage from a full size air show.
D.

Blue Skies (Chisinau Airshow 2014, Авиашоу в Кишиневе) (5 min 42 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2014, 06:23 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,855 Posts
Armidale Expo 2015

Here's Hutton's thread on next year's Expo.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2275042

As the holiday for Australia Day is on the Monday, I reckon I can make this Expo

Jeez ... it's been years ... Looking forward to it

D.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2014, 05:53 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,855 Posts
Susan River

The weather is looking really REALLY good for this weekend's comp at Susan River

D.

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/hervey_bay
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2014, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,594 Posts
Wish I was here I would be in. But off to the other hobby that gets in the way... (work)
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Nov 07, 2014, 04:09 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,855 Posts
It appears that the Susan River comp will be a low-key event with only about 10 starters.
The weather is still looking ok with moderate SE and mostly sunny.

I'll file a report next week.

D.
RCG Plus Member