SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by earlwb
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
15,014 Posts
I acquired this little Cox Baby Bee .049 engine with a Sal Taibi or Sherman extended flight fuel tank. it looks to have been never run either.

One of the forum members shed some light as to the large fuel tank and what it was used for.

Quote:
For the oldtime 1/2a Texaco events, the late Sal Taibi's B size Powerhouse is a very popular design. Instead of modifying the nose, designed for a Forester .29 ignition, Sal manufactured a tank mount that moved the Cox engine forward and provided the then allotted 14cc's of fuel.
So the tank you have is probably a Taibi product. The Powerhouse and Sal's tank are very popular in SoCal where Sal lived. The event is now flown with 4 or 8cc, but we still use the tank as an engine mount. Kevin Sherman has since taken over production of the tanks, so it is possible you have a Sherman version. Norm
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by Brutus1967
I convince things to work
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
4,620 Posts
Since the Fuji outboards have passed here on one or two occasions, I'd like to show my overhaul.
Unfortunately, the relevant pics were taken with a camera without a memory card in it....
I already posted part of this in the boating section, but I thought some of you guys might be interested as well.

I am by no means a real engine restorer, and the results are OK, but not in the same league of what you guys usually demonstrate.

What I did was strip the paint as much as possible from the lower end and engine cowling, not sure if I am going to repaint it (in fresh water, the aluminium should hold up fairly well).
Was a nasty job getting the paint out of all the nooks and crannies, especially on the cowling and the transom bracket.

Then I investigated why the gears were notchy , turning with difficulties and jamming, and it looked like the wear on both bevel gear bushings made the gears move away from each other, making the gears mesh very close to the tips of the teeth.
So I removed a slight bit from the vertical bearing bushing, thus lowering the vertical gear, and removed a bit from the output shaft boss to move the horizontal gear a bit closer to the intersection.
Both were shifted about 0.01 inch

Then it turned out I had overdone it a bit on the horizontal shaft, so a gasket between boss and bushing reduced that by about 0.004 inch, which made the gears turn more or less smooth again: these very small gears with relatively very coarse teeth (8 teeth on a diameter of roughly 1/4th Inch) were never really smooth to begin with. But at least, it is possible to put force on the gears again: before restoration I could not turn over the engine by the prop, after restoring gearmesh this goes surprisingly easy (it did not even do that when I first got the engine, and I have run it like that for well over 10 operating hours....)
I made a new gasket between lower end and tail gear unit, and I was surprised that I succeeded the first try (the edges around the large hole are less than 0.04 inch wide).

I did not touch the engine, as it was still running fairly well, I only cleaned the exhaust and stripped the paint of the flywheel.

I filled the tail with oil like I also did when running her, and was highly surprised that after 10 hours there was still not a single drop of oil visible on the outside, because none of the bushings has a seal of whatever kind. More so my surprise, that this oil had not even penetrated the gear cavity, because this was what I was counting on for gear lubrication when I was running it, but obviously the gears never received much for lubrication. Then I filled only the gear cavity, and it takes more than 24 hours before visible oil is leaking out.
I have to keep a better eye on lubricating the tail gears, but I have the feeling, when doing so this engine will still last some serious runtime with the proper care....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Last edited by Brutus1967; Aug 26, 2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 01:22 PM
Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Living in the south of France
Joined Aug 2011
768 Posts
Nice job Brutus, does it have a boat to hook onto ?,,
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Old Aug 26, 2015, 01:42 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
4,620 Posts
Sure....

Fuji outboard driven airboat, has sprayrails this time. (2 min 47 sec)

But I have a small deep-V for it that I hope will allow the engine to rev higer and develop more power... I will place a pic of that hull as soon as I have found it somewhere on my harddrive....

Brgds, Bert
Last edited by Brutus1967; Aug 26, 2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:53 AM
Joined Aug 2011
768 Posts
Nice, it brought me back 45 years,,,
Old Aug 27, 2015, 02:21 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
4,620 Posts
You mean, you ran one back in the days?

Coz I have searched with all the keywords I could think of (which were actually not that many) but never managed to find even old digitalized footage of one of these Fujis running, let alone somebody running them more recently.

Not even mr "Rapmoz" (at least that is what he goes by on youtube), an engine collector in your neck of the woods specializing in marine engines (and owning at least a few of these Fujis, that I am sure of).....

Makes me feel quite unique

Brgds, Bert
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
768 Posts
I had one when I was 17,,, 1968,,,, No videos,,,,
Old Aug 27, 2015, 01:55 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
4,620 Posts
Quote:
No videos,,,,
Ah, dang!

If I may ask: this type (originally air cooled and 1:1 drive) or the watercooled FW17RC with the flip-top over the flywheel and the reduction gear in the tail?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by coriolan
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada
Joined Sep 2006
6,606 Posts
RAPMOZ on RCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
You mean, you ran one back in the days?

Coz I have searched with all the keywords I could think of (which were actually not that many) but never managed to find even old digitalized footage of one of these Fujis running, let alone somebody running them more recently.

Not even mr "Rapmoz" (at least that is what he goes by on youtube), an engine collector in your neck of the woods specializing in marine engines (and owning at least a few of these Fujis, that I am sure of).....

Makes me feel quite unique

Brgds, Bert
He sometime post on RCG, you can try a PM on his blog:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=42345

or email from his site:
http://e.a.t.chez-alice.fr/AAmoteursminiatures.html
He has an amazing collection of marine engines!
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Aug 27, 2015, 07:55 PM
Find More Posts by pmackenzie
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
18,168 Posts
FWIW, I think it is awesome to see a vintage engine doing what it was designed to do, rather than sitting on a shelf somewhere
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Aug 28, 2015, 03:17 AM
Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
FWIW, I think it is awesome to see a vintage engine doing what it was designed to do, rather than sitting on a shelf somewhere
I agree!
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Old Aug 28, 2015, 04:39 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
4,620 Posts
Thanks guys! And likewise, I enjoy it tremendously, seeing that little engine do its best....
Somehow LOTS more satisfying than a modern high performance boat....

I can't say "anybody could do that" because it is friggin hard to get max performance out of any engine, new or old, but tinkering with this old stuff is somehow on a completely different level.... Like a parallel universe

Brgds, Bert