Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by Harquebus
I see all your typos
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
This particular chain... has been very troublesome in Frosted Ultra Detail... the links keep fusing together, because the machine resolution just can't protect the tiny spaces between links.
It might still be usable for its intended application as a length of chain across the bow--it appears as individual articulated links even if it is not. Will the fused chain wrap around a capstan/wildcat without looking too ungainly or will it snap in two?
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
Last edited by Harquebus; Jun 24, 2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Corrected my typo, of course...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by patmat2350
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,487 Posts
Ka-snap!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jun 24, 2015, 02:34 AM
Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
11,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
Ka-snap!
What about heating it and bending it?

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:13 AM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,487 Posts
So, the latest thing in 3D printing that has everyone on the edges of their seats is "CLIP" technology from Carbon3D.

The previous latest thing was "bottom up" SLA printing: Instead of a laser drawing on and curing photopolymers on the surface of a pool, with a build table that slowly sinks into the pool as the part builds up layer by layer, "bottom up" printing inverts the table, and pulls up and OUT of the pool. The laser (or a digital projector) shines UP through a clear window in the bottom of the pool.

Problem: The build layer (on the bottom) sticks to the window. All kinds of tricks have been used to deal with this, but most use a flexible polymer window... the build head goes through a peeling motion after each layer has been cured, lifts up, then moves back to the next build position (i.e., shifted one layer up). All this is time consuming, and the peeling action tends to break fragile models.

So Carbon3D came up with a new window which is permeable to oxygen... it turns out that a little O2 in the resin inhibits the photo-curing. So now, the model builds on the table's bottom as before, but with an uncured thin liquid layer adjacent to the window- no sticking!
They call this Continuous Liquid Interface Printing (CLIP)... and continuous, because the build table just moves up continuously (with no peeling monkey-motion), while the laser or digital projector keeps firing images from below. It allows a huge increase in build speed, AND allows delicate frilly parts to be made that are near impossible on today's bottom-up printers.

Carbon3D announced all this this Spring, but have yet to offer printers for sale... but everyone is tripping over themselves trying to get a piece of the action, and millions and millions of funding have been secured from some big names.

Just recently, my ex-boss (the wildly popular and now retired Ford CEO, Alan Mullaly) joined their board.

And, it's just been announced that Ford (who literally bought one of the first 3D printers ever made), has had a Carbon3D pre-production desktop printer since last December, well before C3D's announcement!
http://carbon3d.com/customer-stories/ford/

And no I can't use it, probably can't even get in to see it!

But I would buy one of these...

Carbon3D Demo (1 min 2 sec)
Old Jun 26, 2015, 01:54 PM
Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
11,041 Posts
Great explanation, a friend posted the Eiffel tower printing but no explanation.

Carbon3D's Super Fast 3D Printer Printing an Eiffel Tower (0 min 46 sec)

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jun 26, 2015, 02:41 PM
I see all your typos
Joined Jan 2006
1,638 Posts
This is some freaky stuff. The object is grown out of resin "goo" with the aid of a projector. No longer a mechanical procedure.

The object still looks wet as it emerges from its resin bath. Is this uncured resin washed off in some manner?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 02:43 PM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,487 Posts
Yes. Alcohol, usually. And the part usually benefits from some post-cure (leave it in the sun for a while, or a UV "tanning booth").

No longer pulling a rabbit out of a hat... pull your rabbit out of a soup bowl!
Last edited by patmat2350; Jun 26, 2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 03:39 PM
I see all your typos
Joined Jan 2006
1,638 Posts
Yes, the printing process reminded me of the joke where the magician pulls not only a rabbit out of a hat but a cane, a long piece of lumber, a lamp post, etc.

It's the Bag of Holding I think... http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BagOfHolding

As long as there's available resin or more added while printing, there's no limit to the length of items that could be printed.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 09:29 PM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,487 Posts
Well, besides Shapeways, I'm still limited to the Form 1 at my local Tech Shop... not a bad little machine, but a little dicey for parts with lots of fine detail. It's an SLA machine which has to peel the part off the lower window after each layer, which means that delicate frilly stuff is out, and any overhanging parts need to be supported with lattice-like supports... and these need to be nipped and broken off the part surface.
So, it works well for chunky parts, like the ones below.

Oh, and while it's more work for me, Tech Shop only charges 40 per cc, while Shapeways charges $5/model + $3.49/cc. So when the part is suitable, I'll go to Tech Shop! (one of those carriages is 32cc, with all the supports).

"Hey Pat", you might say, "that looks like a Mk17 twin 50 carriage for a PT boat, and by the size of it, it looks to be for a 1:16 scale model!"

Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:35 PM
Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,649 Posts
Have you seen this yet Pat?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_US_110V.html

Mini Fabrikator 3D Printer by Tiny Boy - HobbyKing Product Video (2 min 19 sec)
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 01, 2015, 06:14 AM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,487 Posts
It's a toy, a filiment printer, and not a very good one... amazing price point though...
Last edited by patmat2350; Aug 01, 2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by woodybob
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,307 Posts
Cool...
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and...d-printed-beak
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by woodybob
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,307 Posts
It's alive

Trippy man...

Blooms: Strobe-Animated Sculptures (1 min 40 sec)
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob