HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:33 PM
United States, IL, Lake Barrington
Joined Dec 2012
364 Posts
New Product
RocHobby Critical Mass 4S Reno Racer

The RocHobby Strega needed a fast sister plane to race. The RocHobby Critical Mass deserved a larger motor and ESC. Enter the Critical Mass high speed 4S

http://www.motionrc.com/rochobby-cri...1100mm-43-pnp/

All the RocHobby planes can be seen here: http://www.motionrc.com/rochobby/

Tom.MotionRC is online now Find More Posts by Tom.MotionRC
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:42 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post
The RocHobby Strega needed a fast sister plane to race. The RocHobby Critical Mass deserved a larger motor and ESC. Enter the Critical Mass high speed 4S

http://www.motionrc.com/rochobby-cri...1100mm-43-pnp/

All the RocHobby planes can be seen here: http://www.motionrc.com/rochobby/

I had considered adding a 770kv motor....does this use the same size prop or something different?
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:46 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Planning to sell the motor separately?
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:19 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2013
896 Posts
Will the motor fit the old critical mass? I already upgraded the old planes esc and would like to just buy the bigger motor from motion rc
eddyalce is offline Find More Posts by eddyalce
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:38 AM
Joined Dec 2012
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740 View Post
Planning to sell the motor separately?
Yes, but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyalce View Post
Will the motor fit the old critical mass? I already upgraded the old planes esc and would like to just buy the bigger motor from motion rc
Honestly I'm not 100% sure yet. I've not tried it. Here is what I know. The fuses are different. The inside of the High Speed version has a much larger battery compartment and larger area for the ESC. It is much more open to shed heat as well. The 4S will not fit in the 3S version but you could carve some foam as many have. Still, the 70A ESC is large and I'm not sure it would fit in the 3S version. I also need to verify the position of the motor board though you could compensate for a CG issue with tail weight if needed. I don't yet know if there is any difference in the motor board but I do know the "X mount" for the motor is different. It will not be as trivial as dropping in a motor and ESC unfortunately. I'm not saying it can't be done. Given the right amount of time and effort, anything can be done. I just don't yet know where the project falls. All I know currently is it sits somewhere between a "drop in" and impossible. The prop/spinner is the same. The Strega pulls 64A with the same motor/prop so I know a 60A ESC is too small. It will need at least a 70A ESC which is what the high speed version uses.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:54 AM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Fair enough. Honesty is appreciated :-)
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:19 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post
Yes, but.....

Honestly I'm not 100% sure yet. I've not tried it. Here is what I know. The fuses are different. The inside of the High Speed version has a much larger battery compartment and larger area for the ESC. It is much more open to shed heat as well. The 4S will not fit in the 3S version but you could carve some foam as many have. Still, the 70A ESC is large and I'm not sure it would fit in the 3S version. I also need to verify the position of the motor board though you could compensate for a CG issue with tail weight if needed. I don't yet know if there is any difference in the motor board but I do know the "X mount" for the motor is different. It will not be as trivial as dropping in a motor and ESC unfortunately. I'm not saying it can't be done. Given the right amount of time and effort, anything can be done. I just don't yet know where the project falls. All I know currently is it sits somewhere between a "drop in" and impossible. The prop/spinner is the same. The Strega pulls 64A with the same motor/prop so I know a 60A ESC is too small. It will need at least a 70A ESC which is what the high speed version uses.
I know that it may be too early to know but have you guys tried other props? I have used Power 32 style motors in the past and have used 12x12 props for all out speed and 13X8 for a good combo of thrust and speed. Do you think that this motor could handle that as well? my 4s 12X12 combo was a beast on my modded Parkzone T-28...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Oct 31, 2013, 03:05 PM
Joined Dec 2012
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
I know that it may be too early to know but have you guys tried other props? I have used Power 32 style motors in the past and have used 12x12 props for all out speed and 13X8 for a good combo of thrust and speed. Do you think that this motor could handle that as well? my 4s 12X12 combo was a beast on my modded Parkzone T-28...
We had the best results with an 11x12. We achieved about 105mph with this prop. We are having one made for the Strega. Not sure if it will fit the CM yet.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:03 PM
United States, TN, Nunnelly
Joined Aug 2012
690 Posts
I just found out about the original CM. I was planning to buy it. Not now. I can't wait to see a video of this one.
GLHS592 is online now Find More Posts by GLHS592
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:58 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
*smile* just run the 3S versions flight video on 1.25x speed and you'll get an idea of what the 4S with the new motor is probably like
Old Nov 08, 2013, 06:41 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
First?

So, am I the 1st to get one of these? I was reading the CM thread, ordered a new one, had the choice of 3s version or the 4s with LOTS of extra stuff ... no brainer! The new 4s was delivered today by the big brown truck.
THANK YOU Motion! Nice to deal with a veteran owned company ... I am retired US Navy. The whole thing went quickly and the plane unboxed in what seems to be pristine condition.
More to follow.
BTW - in addition to the bigger parts, etc, there is a ply battery shelf and a velcro strap installed. Nice.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Nov 17, 2013, 09:36 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
It is all ready to go, CG'd and close to trimmed. I did the larger wheels that some have done on the 1st CM. The hard wheel/tires are gone and Dubro foam tires are now on. Those clips are tough! And I had to do a bit of foam surgery to get a good fit. Home Depot custom matched $3 sample paint to make it look good ... you know, cover up the raw foam in the cut area. Keep it on hand to touch up any future hangar rash.
Don
Old Nov 22, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Go to Motion's site and look for my review. The plane delivers!
Don
Old Dec 02, 2013, 06:07 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Flew it again today. Seems to have slowed down some .... or I'm getting used to the speed! Landings are great, no nose overs yet. But it really doesn't like to taxi. I have one other war bird plane and it doesn't like to taxi either. Our field is all grass but well manicured. My planes are all tail draggers and all but these 2 do well. Must be a war bird thing since the CM is based on a war bird too.
Don
Old Oct 22, 2014, 08:49 PM
United States, IL, Huntley
Joined Oct 2008
413 Posts
Has anyone figured out a color match to touch up the red ?

Thanks,
Ken
KenS999 is offline Find More Posts by KenS999