HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:33 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,454 Posts
Discussion
Flight Controllers for Quads?

Do you guys make a flight controller for multirotors?

Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
We will very soon.

Please let me know what you want to see.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:40 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
We will very soon.

Awesome!

I'm just getting into quads so let me give this some thought and I'll get back with you.

Thanks for asking!

Frank

Here are some things that come to mind. I don't want to ask for too much due to costs, but maybe there can be two versions. A "basic" and a "pro" version. I'll add to this list as I learn more.

Basic

1. Auto-leveling
2. Altitude hold
3. Compass
4. Barometer

Pro

The above and

1. GPS
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Last edited by Murocflyer; Nov 04, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:42 AM
Never left one up there yet...
Canada, BC, Campbell River
Joined Jun 2009
98 Posts
Quote:
We will very soon.

Great news Bill

My 3c

BASIC

1) Auto Level
2) Barometer
3 Altitude Hold
4) 2 Axis Gimbal Stabilization with Independant Tilt Function
5) All MR Configurations Supported
6) At Field Digital PID Adjustment (via tx?)

PRO

1) All the Above
2) GPS
3) OSD
4) RTH
5) Waypoint to Waypoint Navigation

Of course this is the whole enchalada but it sure would be nice to have all these features. I really, really like your approach to modular systems. Maybe some of the "pro" features could be in a module form. That way everyone can customise their own system with specific needs. At minimum I think if you could integrate the OSD Pro with a quality MR FC you would have a winner.

Cheers

MJ
mdjohnson is offline Find More Posts by mdjohnson
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Thanks, guys! This is really helpful for us.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Jun 2009
98 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, guys! This is really helpful for us.
More than welcome.

I am just now looking at my brand new OSD Pro, V4 eLogger,GPS and baro module sitting on my bench which I received today!! I am very excited to get it installed in my quad.

One question so far. I just want to confirm that the vid in/out ports are not powered by the ET system. That is, the red "+" pin is an unpowered carry through to the camera from the vid tx. I can't find that specific info in the manual but it is alluded to in one or two forum posts that I have searched.

Reason I ask is I am using a FatShark 600mw tx which provides 5V to the 922 camera and the tx/camera combo uses it's own independant battery. Any surplus power that comes from the OSD module would definately throw a wrench into the works.

Cheers Again

MJ
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi, the + pin of the video in and video out connectors are connected internally, but are connected to nothing else on the OSD (they are passthrough). The same is true with the + pins of the audio in and audio out.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Jun 2009
98 Posts
Thanks Bill

I had suspected this but I sure like the confirmation!

Cheers

MJ
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Feb 2012
84 Posts
Some suggestions:

There are tons of great flight contollers for multirotors but not one espacially for FPV with integrated OSD. And thats a shame since a multirotor is packed with a lot of sensors which data could be displayed in an osd. ET already has a lot know how in crucial points for such a product. Some suggestions:

- Multirotor OSD: An OSD with a) high quality graphics (like ET-OSD pro), b) the ability to show GPS Data from the most common GPS-Modules (many Multirotors have allready GPS onboard), c) an AHI Display made of gimbal output (most of the Multirotor controllers have pitch and roll gimbal stabilisation output)

- FPV Multirotor Controller: An Multirotor Controller with barometric Altitude Hold and GPS Position Hold (RTH) and, as an unique feature, AV in and out for the integrated OSD.

I think there is some demand for both concepts since they are unique. At least i would buy both
barometer is offline Find More Posts by barometer
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:08 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
barometer,

*I think your desires are already met

Quote:
Originally Posted by barometer View Post
Some suggestions:

There are tons of great flight contollers for multirotors but not one espacially for FPV with integrated OSD. And thats a shame since a multirotor is packed with a lot of sensors which data could be displayed in an osd. ET already has a lot know how in crucial points for such a product. Some suggestions:

- Multirotor OSD: An OSD with a) high quality graphics (like ET-OSD pro), b) the ability to show GPS Data from the most common GPS-Modules (many Multirotors have allready GPS onboard), c) an AHI Display made of gimbal output (most of the Multirotor controllers have pitch and roll gimbal stabilisation output)

- FPV Multirotor Controller: An Multirotor Controller with barometric Altitude Hold and GPS Position Hold (RTH) and, as an unique feature, AV in and out for the integrated OSD.

I think there is some demand for both concepts since they are unique. At least i would buy both
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Last edited by m_beeson; Nov 21, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
barometer,

*I think your desires are already met
Could you explain that?
barometer is offline Find More Posts by barometer
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:08 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
You will be able to use this with OSD Pro.

I'm sure they we release more about the functions in a short while,

but if you are happy with the reliability of the Guardian 2d /3d,

then you will be excited about this.

*please keep the suggestions coming*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barometer View Post
Could you explain that?
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:18 AM
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Apr 2011
215 Posts
Subscribed
1111Mavrick is offline Find More Posts by 1111Mavrick
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:09 AM
Kostas
Greece
Joined Sep 2008
233 Posts
Hi Bill,
I'm using almost everything you built for fpv on my SW.
I also have a hexa with NAZA. Great stabilization. RTH lifts the hexa 20m form current position and then returns it. It has also two smart functions in their Intelligent Orientation Control. I used it once when I lost video signal. But it doesn't have osd and waypoint is very expensive.
You have the knowledge to built something special but you should take care that multirotors do not have so many space as aeroplane so avoid too much wiring. 1 control board and 1 gps module is fine.
kstmark is offline Find More Posts by kstmark
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:42 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
If the ET OSD PRO would allow to receive/send external sensor data using a know protocol it would be perfect.
I have several Flight Controllers that have already most of the sensors, even GPS.

Been able to either use either the sensors from ET or ET use the sensors from the Flight Controller it would make the implementation of the gear much much easier and avoid us having to install 2xGPS's + 2xBAro's + 2xAcc's, and so on...
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind