HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:11 PM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe View Post
Found a nice looking old timey wing for the Balsa Bug at the Plans Page. Its flat bottomed and much thinner than the original. Its on the MiniHobbies, a cut down plane from an original in a British magazine.

http://www.theplanpage.com/things/mi...iniHobbies.pdf
thx!
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
This time to the July 1988 AEROMODELLER with the cover featuring the WATTIE.

In fact the Vintage Rubber Wattie was the first plan and article to be found in this issue as ANDREW LONGHURST took a detailed look at the 1942 model and it’s designer Flt/Lt. WATSON R.A.F.

It’s a charming model that just asks to be built is very stable and flew right of the board.

Next to MEADOW LARK MINOR a vintage style sports power model for Free Flight or R/C by MIKE WHITTARD.

When I saw this plan in 1988 the Devil whispered in my ear and I built an R/C version and briefly went over to the Dark side and actually learnt to fly Radio Control.

The model looks nice in the air and is very stable.

I powered mine with a 1.5cc PAW Diesel and flew rudder, elevator with throttle control. The slightly unusual rubber band sprung undercarriage works well and you can actually see it working and absorbing the landing shocks.

Going tailless with an in-depth article on this class in the VINTAGE CORNER column by ALEX IMRIE. There is also a plan for J.MARSHALL’S WORLD TAILLESS RECORD HOLDER

DAVE HIPPERON’S FREE FLIGHT SCENE gave news of a soon to be held indoor competition to be flown using the 1927 JACK LOUGHNER INDOOR TRACTOR design .

Much useful information is given on getting the best performance from the Indoor Tractor which at the time set a World Record of 5 minuets.

Finally an in depth look was taken at the modelling career of P.E. NORMAN who over the years produced many classic designs

One of his plans was also included with the article that of the scale MIG 15.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Last edited by algy2; Dec 21, 2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
We look this time at the February 1985 AEROMODELLER The cover features the CO2 powered ELF. A full size plan was to be found inside.

Firstly though to MARTAIN DILLY’S Free Flight Scene column and the plan for FLIM FLAM..

Flim Flam is a world record winner for indoor duration with the plan reproduced at 1/10 scale. Easy to blow up to size.

The model featured on the cover for CO2 power is next it's the ELF

It seems that STEFEN GASPARAN has started manufacturing his great little CO2 motors again being available direct from him or through COSMIC FLYER on EBay.

Elf was designed by GEORGE MATHIESON to resemble the F-16 family of fighters and as can be seen by the cover looks great in the air. All details are in the article and on the full size plans.

Another full size CO2 plan was for a scale FOKKER TRIPLANE by RICHARD HALPENNY.

It’s to 1/20th scale and features novel wing construction. Richard said it's virtually crash proof and on full power climbs like the real WW1 fighter .It seems to prefer being trimmed for a straight flight..

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and probably one of the last fighter Biplanes ever designed. Dating from 1938 it is the GREGOR FDB-1. HARRY ROBINSON takes a detailed look.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Dec 25, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

HI,

On Christmas day we go to the August 1999 edition of AEROMODELLER. The cover shows one of the top UK lady fliers EDNA FLYNN launching her Coupe at Middle Wallop.

Centre page were full size plan for the YAK-9UM by ANDREW ALLEN constructed from Depron.

The article gives details of working with this interesting material. According to Andrew it’s wonderful stuff ! 1200 turns gives you a 40sec flight.

To Slow Open Power and PHIL BALL in the Free Flight Scene column has a look at modern developments.

The article gives a full account and also includes a Phil Ball plan.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED with a detailed look taken at a little known monoplane interceptor the VICKERS VENOM.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS and a great NEW YEAR to you.

Cheers

Algy2
Last edited by algy2; Dec 24, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:25 AM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,258 Posts
Merry Christmas Algy, you've given us presents through the year (and long build lists). The Yak is an interesting take on using foam.

bill
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:35 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,407 Posts
Yes--a very merry Christmas Algy!
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:57 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
And a real fine new year to everyone!
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi.
We go to the March 1973 issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover showing Cathy and Jack Allen at that time the best known of all Free Flight contest- couples in the UK. Jack is holding his unusual high tailed power model.

To the first free flight plan and it’s a classic. One by the UK doyen of scale power free flight models ERIC COATS and his BE.12b scale World War 1 fighter.

I did think this had already been posted but on a check with two indexes it did not show up. My apologies if it has.

It is not mentioned in the construction article but I am sure that this is the model that enabled Eric to walk away with quite a few first places.

While not one for the novice building is quiet straightforward and features trade mark construction techniques that Eric evolved over the years.

It’s a very stable model and easy to trim if you follow the advice given.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and a lesser known World War 1 fighter the ROLAND D11.

IAN STAR casts his eye over the aircraft one that would again make a great scale subject.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Dec 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
This time it's the December 1973 issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover featuring BILL BERTRAND with his Radio Control one-quarter -scale version of the AERONICA LB.

PREDITOR by Canadian MIKE THOMAS was the first free flight plan to be found. This was a 50 in span Open Class rubber duration model with an outstanding contest record.

Mike said it’s capable of more then six minutes without thermal help. The rolled balsa fuselage is strong and a winding tube is unnecessary . Trimming is very easy. The plan is a 1/7th reproduction.

Next to two full size plans with the first being BI-STAR by RAY MALMSTROM.

Wingspan is 18 ins and Ray said it combines the duration of a small duration type and the realism associated with a semi-scale model.

Finally to another very nice scale rubber model by ERIC COATS the DH PUSS MOTH the first such he ever designed.

It has virtually a scale structure and was designed for flying in a large hanger but will perform well outdoors. The construction article has all the details.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Jan 02, 2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:13 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
A few pages back the "Gee Bee Eightster" plan from a 1934 magazine was posted. As usual with these old plans, the plans was printed in sections on multiple pages. And, as usual, the scans or maybe the page images didn't fit together very well. How someone built from these mismatched and often out-of-scale images is a mystery to me. Anyway, I re-assembled the plan and made it fit together properly so it could be built from.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:59 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,956 Posts
Rufus:

Beautiful restoration as usual from you. Thanks and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Warm regards;

Dave-
foamdave is online now Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:01 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave View Post
Rufus:

Beautiful restoration as usual from you. Thanks and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Warm regards;

Dave-

Thanks Dave!

And a Happy New Year to you and all of the others of the RC Groups crowd

Planeman! (Rufus)
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:25 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,234 Posts
I don't speak up often enough to say thank you for this thread. Seein' as how it's a new year, I'll take the opportunity to interject and say, "Thanks!"

This is both one of my favorite and most hated threads on RCG! I love looking over the old plans and descriptions, and planning out builds in my head and adding to my "must build list," but... BUT.... I realized some time back that I have more plans accumulated now already than I will ever be able to build all of, especially if I take some time out for flying! So, it's almost a shame to come here and see a plane and say "Ohhh! Gotta build that one!" knowing there are projects I am never going to get to.

But, again, thank you, VERY MUCH, for this thread and for all the wonderful plans and articles and discussions.
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:55 PM
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
Nightowl,
You have the disease also!!!!!!!!! There is no known cure.
One Cut is offline Find More Posts by One Cut
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:57 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
This time going to 1973 and the July issue of AEROMODELLER. The cover shows barnstorming at 1973 SYWELL during the R.C.M.&E EXPO with a TIGER MOTH waiting it’s turn in the Standing-On-The-Wing display.

The only free flight plan to pass along from this issue is BIG DAD by TONY CORDES.

Big Dad is a 97 Inch span “OPEN” class glider for sport or contest flying.

Tony said it is sturdy in construction enabling it to perform in most weather conditions. The very detailed construction article also gives good trimming advice.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and a detailed look taken at the DE HAVILLAND DH85 LEOPARD MOTH.

Cheers

Algy