HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:14 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,563 Posts
just finished my edge and im working on the programming. got the high rates done but noth the low rates yet. anyways im using the recomened omega 130 motor 60 amp ESC and a 2200 3S LIPO. where do i put the lipo for the maiden? where do i put it for 3D? HELP!
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:38 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,925 Posts
Balance per the instructions and move it back from there, a little at a time.
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:39 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,980 Posts
Each plane and pilot will have their own preferred CG. For what it's worth, my battery goes in the same spot everytime, whether I'm gonna rag it out or just do lazy circles.

I think the recommended CG is 85mm from the LE of the wings. If you don't have a CG machine, stick some pieces of tape on bottom of the wing at 85 mm, and then place your fingertips on the tape to balance it.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:51 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Each plane and pilot will have their own preferred CG. For what it's worth, my battery goes in the same spot everytime, whether I'm gonna rag it out or just do lazy circles.

I think the recommended CG is 85mm from the LE of the wings. If you don't have a CG machine, stick some pieces of tape on bottom of the wing at 85 mm, and then place your fingertips on the tape to balance it.
my extra does the same thing my edge is doing. the extra felt tail heavy but it wasnt at ALL. not even close. i SUCK AT CG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this seemed tail heavy with the batt still all the way forward and im using a 2200 3s. balanceing it at 80MM. it says in the manual 80MM sport and 90MM 3D. dont make since because the further back the cg is the nose heavyer it will be right? further forward tail heavy right?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:06 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
my extra does the same thing my edge is doing. the extra felt tail heavy but it wasnt at ALL. not even close. i SUCK AT CG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this seemed tail heavy with the batt still all the way forward and im using a 2200 3s. balanceing it at 80MM. it says in the manual 80MM sport and 90MM 3D. dont make since because the further back the cg is the nose heavyer it will be right? further forward tail heavy right?
what? futrher the battery is forwards, the more nose heavy it will be

the further back the balance point means you have to move weight rearwards to balance
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:08 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
yes but its still looked tail heavy. I SUCK AT CG AGAIN! thats why like 5 of my planes crashed.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:09 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,452 Posts
Quote:
yes but its still looked tail heavy. I SUCK AT CG AGAIN! thats why like 5 of my planes crashed.
what do you mean it looks tail heavy
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,980 Posts
Quote:

the further back the balance point means you have to move weight rearwards to balance
Word. Center of gravity isn't the same as the center of the plane.

Cale10, hold your plane at the recommended balance point. If the tail falls, it's tail heavy, so you need to move the battery toward the motor. If the nose falls, it's nose heavy, and the battery needs to move toward the rudder. Move it in small increments (1/4-1/2" at a time) to get it close.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:11 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
what do you mean it looks tail heavy
with my 2200 3s ALL the way against the foam i put bhind the motor shaft it still is tail heavy. ill try and get pics of it tomorrow.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:12 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,925 Posts
Think of it in the extreme… if the cg was 1mm from the leading edge the batt has to be way in front and that is nose heavier… if the cg was 50mm from the leading edge it is tail heavier and the batt has to be way back, maybe behind the wing tube.

The farther back the cg is on the wing when you balance it, the more tail heavy it is.
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:14 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,452 Posts
what tool are you using to balance? are you using the top or the bottom of the plane?

gotta ask, you never know
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,980 Posts
Quote:
with my 2200 3s ALL the way against the foam i put bhind the motor shaft it still is tail heavy. ill try and get pics of it tomorrow.
Do you have the prop, spinner, and canopy all mounted when you check it? If so, you might have to move your ESC and receiver farther forward to help it balance.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
what tool are you using to balance? are you using the top or the bottom of the plane?

gotta ask, you never know
bottom o the plane and my dumb thumbs. gunna make a pencil balencer tomorrow and get some pics of it too.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:18 PM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,980 Posts
Another handy tip is to mark the recommended CG point with a Sharpie, then cut a toothpick into 1/4" lengths and lay 2 of them on the marks and CA them on. Then you have a point you can feel for under the wings. A lot cheaper than a CG machine, and a LOT easier to use.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:19 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Another handy tip is to mark the recommended CG point with a Sharpie, then cut a toothpick into 1/4" lengths and lay 2 of them on the marks and CA them on. Then you have a point you can feel for under the wings. A lot cheaper than a CG machine, and a LOT easier to use.
always use a sharpie.