HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:39 AM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proline1 View Post
LOL... I'll start at finger hole area as suggested. BTW do you balance the jet inverted or upright? Thanks!
I balance the Stinger inverted due to the low wing. With 3s 1800s I just keep the lipo up against the foam ledge in the battery area and launch into the wind at full throttle. 2200s will make it a little nose heavy and it will drop the nose in the turns. I find it to have better performance and vertical with 1800s. This really is fun little jet.
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:59 AM
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Sep 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushal_22 View Post
I was just using the Finger holes and keeping it upright..I found with a 1800 Nanotec pack as far forward for my first flights did just fine..after taking a 3OZ of lead from the nose!

Mal
just to be clear- you held balance point at the rear of the finger holes? also did you remove some lead from the nose or still had to add 3oz? I am using same 1800 nanotech so weight should be +- a few g's. thanks!
proline1 is offline Find More Posts by proline1
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:42 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Hard wired the 2815 4800kv motor to the 65A ESC and mounted in the left inlet with hot glue. Shouldn't disrupt the airflow too much, I hope.
After hot gluing the RX just above there's now plenty of room for a 2700mAh 4S, just have to fiddle with the cg a bit.
Hopefully will get a chance to fly her before the really cold weather hits!
Kurt is online now Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:35 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Hard wired the 2815 4800kv motor to the 65A ESC and mounted in the left inlet with hot glue. Shouldn't disrupt the airflow too much, I hope.
After hot gluing the RX just above there's now plenty of room for a 2700mAh 4S, just have to fiddle with the cg a bit.
Hopefully will get a chance to fly her before the really cold weather hits!
The esc is tucked in really nice. May be a little heavy, but its gonna be a screamer for sure.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:04 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proline1 View Post
just to be clear- you held balance point at the rear of the finger holes? also did you remove some lead from the nose or still had to add 3oz? I am using same 1800 nanotech so weight should be +- a few g's. thanks!
I was at the very front of finger holes ALL Lead in nose REMOVED 1800MAH 3S Tucked as far up as possible. Flies just fine in my book....would like to go 4S ....after upgrading ESC
Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:56 AM
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Sep 2011
174 Posts
Thanks for the input on CG and balancing points. I usually balance my low wing planes inverted as well.
proline1 is offline Find More Posts by proline1
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:43 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,018 Posts
Where can I find the Stinger as a kit... I want all of the body parts, but no electronics nor servos nor motor. The best I can find is an ARF from HK, or parts from Hobby Lobby.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:04 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
The esc is tucked in really nice. May be a little heavy, but its gonna be a screamer for sure.
Thanks.
Anyone have tips for keeping the fan on the motor shaft?
I ran her up to speed last night, and after about 2 seconds "PZZZZZ!!!!" the fan blade came off the shaft. This time the airframe was there to contain it so no damage to flesh (and can't see much damage to the foam), but I had really cranked the fan nut down hard.
Would putting a drop of locktite on the shaft help at all?
Any other ideas?
thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:42 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Thanks.
Anyone have tips for keeping the fan on the motor shaft?
I ran her up to speed last night, and after about 2 seconds "PZZZZZ!!!!" the fan blade came off the shaft. This time the airframe was there to contain it so no damage to flesh (and can't see much damage to the foam), but I had really cranked the fan nut down hard.
Would putting a drop of locktite on the shaft help at all?
Any other ideas?
thanks!
Yes, Put Lock-Tite on the threads before you install the nut. Then let it dry for a few hours. That should work.
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:55 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
get the kind that you have to heat off. it'll make for a better lock than the non-heating kind.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:59 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,315 Posts
if u roughen the shaft it may help a bunch, i just use about 150 grit and rotate the bell by hand leaving small groves around the shaft for the collet to grab. obviously dont sand more than needed to just roughen .

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:58 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
thanks for the advice gents! Long range forecast looks good for next weekend so will do both for her first flights with the new powerplant!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:35 AM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
Where can I find the Stinger as a kit... I want all of the body parts, but no electronics nor servos nor motor. The best I can find is an ARF from HK, or parts from Hobby Lobby.
It looks like you found it at HK. I googled "stinger 64 airframe "and that's what came up. $53 plus shipping. If you find an airframe anywhere else let us know. Almost better off buying an ARF from hobby lobby and stripping it. Those mg servos are pretty decent, same with the esc. Throw them on the workbench for the next plane.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:01 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,018 Posts
So no kits anywhere, Huh? If not then SC's advice to get the ARF may be the next best thing.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:45 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,315 Posts
$79 arf value hobby.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r