Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:37 PM
Find More Posts by Flying Pig
Proving that pork can fly
United States, AZ, Laveen
Joined Dec 2006
264 Posts
Discussion
Calypso or Arcus

I've narrowed it down to these two. I would like to get both, may happen someday, just not now. The price of each is almost the same . I'm in Phoenix AZ, so not much slope action around here, mostly thermal. Looking for commentary on thermal ability for either plane or both from pilots who've flown them.

Thanks!
Flying Pig is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pig
Last edited by Flying Pig; Sep 28, 2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Clarity
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2015, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by vcaruso
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Oct 2011
86 Posts
I guess I was referring to another plane, also called the "Arcus".

This is a sport/pattern 40 size plane called Arcus from Hobby King. The clue is there is an extra wing on top.....it is a bi-plane, not a sailplane.

Sorry to have jumped in here.

V
vcaruso is offline Find More Posts by vcaruso
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vcaruso; Nov 10, 2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2015, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,640 Posts
Hi, FP.

I have not even seen an Arcus in person but I have flown a friend's Calypso, the first version that needed a tail shim, a fair amount. I think it's a pretty good general purpose thermal ship but the airfoil is thick enough that it doesn't penetrate high winds very well. But, if there is any sun at all, I have a ball flying around in the bubble of lift over the local baseball field. It is quite happy to stooge around at about 75 feet longer than I can keep it centered in the bubble. I find it to be a relaxing change from my Specter 1800 that has no dihedral, a much thinner airfoil, and a higher speed range but it just can't handle the wind or cover ground in a hurry like said Specter.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 09, 2015, 07:48 PM
I74
Find More Posts by I74
I74
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Jan 2013
1,101 Posts
I haven't flown a Calypso or an Arcus, but have the smaller version of the Arcus , ''going on 4 years now'' , which is the DG -1000.
I fly thermal, sport and slope with a few guys that have Calypso's, and think my DG- 1000 seems to slope better than theirs.
The Calypso on the other hand, seems to be pretty well behaved all around though, and looks very straight forward and predictable to fly, especially for a less experienced pilot.
The Calypso also scoots around pretty good with it's power system , and parts are plentiful for it, unlike the ST models offerings from Tower Hobbies, here in the US.
Basically if you crack up the Arcus bad, or if the RMS breaks, you would likely have to replace the whole plane, if you couldn't fix those parts yourself.
I have also read a lot about the Arcus wings having strength problems, and that the RMS servo on some, has failed in short order.
It is a real toss up for me if my DG -1000 bit the dust,
would I replace it with an Arcus ?, or get another DG ??
The latest reports on the Arcus are looking more positive though.
''Time will tell''

Hope I was somewhat helpful.

Ian
I74 is offline Find More Posts by I74
Old Nov 10, 2015, 04:48 PM
MK
Find More Posts by MK
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
2,244 Posts
Have never flown the Arcus but I can comment on the Calypso. I'm "new" to the powered glider scene and wanted something where I can source parts easily and domestically (US). Came down to the Radian and the Calypso. Nothing wrong with the Radian but it's too relaxing and docile for me. I wanted something a bit more agile and "sporty" so I settled on the Calypso. 110% happy with my decision as the Calypso can be the jack of all trades.

I was initially concerned about its ability to thermal as I know that zipping along is not a problem. Well recently I got a recording GPS and did this flight from a flat grass field. No sloping of any kind, only 20 second motor run to take it up. Take a look at the lower left of the screen capture. 890 ft and 55 MPH. Oh, two flights after this one I was able to hit a thermal core and took it up to 1145 ft but the max speed was slower.
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old Nov 10, 2015, 05:55 PM
I74
Find More Posts by I74
I74
Joined Jan 2013
1,101 Posts
Very impressive graph model MK
Looks like the Calypso was kicken it pretty good.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 07:52 PM
MK
Find More Posts by MK
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
2,244 Posts
No kidding! I could not believe it myself. I then showed it to a more (much more)experienced glider guy in the club and he said "Yup, looks right!" I was floored!

I think a lot of this has to do with the pilot. Given half decent equipment the rest is up to the guy behind the Tx. Similar to photography, give an amateur a $5,000 camera and you'll still get amateur pictures.
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old Nov 10, 2015, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,640 Posts
Dad had a saying. "The most accurate gun is only as accurate as the person shooting it". RC sailplanes are much the same. Still. It's easier for someone to learn with a sailplane that has benign handling and good soaring potential. I think the Calypso offers that.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:34 PM
I74
Find More Posts by I74
I74
Joined Jan 2013
1,101 Posts
If I was just starting out, I think the Calypso would be the perfect first Electric sailplane.
I do think the Arcus, and the DG-1000 are definitely not though.
I would classify them more as intermediate ''foam'' ships, as they are both based on scale designs. '' Have to be on your toes and fly them more''.