New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2015, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by hog2soar
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
1,117 Posts
Discussion
Vertical stabilizer intallation......... slot the boom or slot the stabilizer

I was wondering what the general consensus is regarding the installation of the Vertical stabilizer on the boom? Is it better to slot the boom? Or is it better to slot the stabilizer. I've seen it done both ways and wondered if there is a preference.

In either case there will be a strip of fiberglass over the boom and stabilizer. Is one way stronger than the other?

It seems to me that if something was going to break in that area, I would prefer it be the stabilizer breaking than the boom.

Anyway, just curious what everyone was doing.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2015, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,947 Posts
Your preference indicates you should slot the vertical stab. I prefer slotting the boom. I found fixing the boom to be easier than fixing or replacing the vertical stab. Once I got good at catching, I did not need to fix as much.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Jul 29, 2015, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Joined Jan 2007
836 Posts
I typically do a half and half depending on the model.
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2015, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Follow me to sink!
Joined Oct 2005
3,031 Posts
I prefer to slot the vertical on my home-built DLGs.

Any slot in the boom would have to conform to the vertical's airfoil, and also be rotated around -0.5 so that the vertical isn't generating lift in straight flight. Not easy to do, but possible with careful planning and a lot of patience.

If you slot the vertical, then be sure to sand the boom with coarse grit, and use slightly thickened laminating epoxy. That way, the vertical should never come loose. Glass patches on both sides are primarily used to cover gaps, and have almost no structural value, so keep 'em small and light. Or just fill gaps with lightweight spackle from the hardware store, and sand smooth.

Just my way, and YMMV - good luck! Charles

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Jul 29, 2015, 08:33 PM
Find More Posts by hog2soar
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
Your preference indicates you should slot the vertical stab. I prefer slotting the boom. I found fixing the boom to be easier than fixing or replacing the vertical stab. Once I got good at catching, I did not need to fix as much.

Charlie
Well Charlie you the Man. Congratulations on your 5th place finish at the Worlds. What an Honor to represent the Greatest Country in the World. Great job.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Jul 29, 2015, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by rofly
Retirement is good
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jun 2011
852 Posts
Good question. Buy a Snipe and the decision is already made for you, as the boom is routed to fit the vertical and only needs a bit of medium CA (my choice) to install, nothing more. That is the lightest install.

Buy other birds that have a socket in the vertical, slide on the boom and fix with medium or thin CA. Done. Also very light.

So, to answer your question, and failing the above, it depends on the “diameter” of the boom. I say “diameter” because not all booms are round. If you cut the boom there best be enough material left to provide adequate structural strength, often not the case, so don’t even consider that option.

As BavarianCharles suggests, cutting the boom to fit the vertical is a complete pain in the arse, requiring lots of time, but doable. I dislike his suggestion of using a filler. Every gram added to the tail is 2.5 grams in the nose to balance, or 3.5 grams added to the AUW.

So now you know my answer, slot the vertical. That is simple to do, will install with a slight press fit to the boom if done correctly, with no gaps, and be adhered with medium CA after aligning correctly. Add a bit of light FB cloth if you like as it does add a bit of structural strength but remember the balance weight ratio. Very light carbon cloth is great too but most folks don’t have that around the shop.

And Charlie is the man !!! Great flying....

Dick
rofly is offline Find More Posts by rofly
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:56 PM
Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,947 Posts
Thank you for the kind words guys!

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy