New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2015, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by RC721
Joined Jul 2015
4 Posts
Question
New to Nitro. Help?

Okay so I've been thinking of getting a savage 5.9 but I don't know how in the world to use nitro whatsoever. Could someone give me a YouTube link or something to how to work these?
RC721 is offline Find More Posts by RC721
Last edited by RC721; Jul 19, 2015 at 10:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2015, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by crazyfrog1
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Jan 2015
801 Posts
Car comes with a manual on first use. I advise you to read it then go from there.
I would make sure you get it with a 2.4ghz radio and setup a fail safe as that's a big truck and could cause an accident in the hands of a noob.
crazyfrog1 is offline Find More Posts by crazyfrog1
Old Jul 19, 2015, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by Panhead5496
United States, GA, Athens
Joined Nov 2014
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC721 View Post
Okay so I've been thinking of getting a savage 5.9 but I don't know how in the world to use nitro whatsoever. Could someone give me a YouTube link or something to how to work these?
My first hobby grade was a nitro...was on a great sale and looked fun.....extremely hard to use if u don't know what your doing. Honestly I reccomemd a brushless electric truck(unless u know people who can do nitro so they can help u)
Panhead5496 is offline Find More Posts by Panhead5496
Old Jul 19, 2015, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by txt killer
Joined Apr 2008
1,734 Posts
Nitro's are not for beginners. They are a pain to maintain and run. Fuel is expensive and parts are tooo. I suggest looking at brushed or brushless to start out.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Old Jul 19, 2015, 06:31 PM
Joined Jan 2015
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txt killer View Post
Nitro's are not for beginners. They are a pain to maintain and run. Fuel is expensive and parts are tooo. I suggest looking at brushed or brushless to start out.
Nah nitros are a great starter car as they force you to really read upon your car and take the car apart and let's be real nitro cars are just toys even if your silly enough to deny it.

I'd really encourage you to buy a nitro if you want to get into the hobby but buy a brushless electric if you want a simple toy.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by Panhead5496
United States, GA, Athens
Joined Nov 2014
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfrog1 View Post
but buy a brushless electric if you want a simple toy.
LOL I'm thinking u haven't ever taken apart a 1/8 brushless monster truck...for sure NOT a "simple toy". Toy maybe(aren't all RCs?) simple definitely not!
Panhead5496 is offline Find More Posts by Panhead5496
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by Cyjonz
United States, IA, Armstrong
Joined Jan 2014
582 Posts
This might be helpful.
HPI Big Block Getting Started Guide (27 min 52 sec)
Cyjonz is offline Find More Posts by Cyjonz
Old Jul 20, 2015, 04:11 AM
Joined Jan 2015
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496 View Post
LOL I'm thinking u haven't ever taken apart a 1/8 brushless monster truck...for sure NOT a "simple toy". Toy maybe(aren't all RCs?) simple definitely not!
Lol yes I have but I recommended a brushless car because they're very efficient compared to brushed car and with lipos you get similar or better performance to nitros. Also with brushless cars you don't have to tune nitros but it's still a simple toy.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 09:54 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,734 Posts
If it were that simple nitro would be the hottest thing on the planet. But it's not. Every person who tries nitro as a beginner dose the same thing over and over; lean the engine out and ruin the engine. Or they just don't bother to maintain it and ruin the engine. One small piece of crap gets inside the engine your done. There is a learning curve and lots of work with nitro engines to make them last a long time. And don't forger the added expense of fuel and spare parts. It's a lot. That's why I don't buy new nitro's anymore.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:04 AM
Joined Jan 2015
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txt killer View Post
If it were that simple nitro would be the hottest thing on the planet. But it's not. Every person who tries nitro as a beginner dose the same thing over and over; lean the engine out and ruin the engine. Or they just don't bother to maintain it and ruin the engine. One small piece of crap gets inside the engine your done. There is a learning curve and lots of work with nitro engines to make them last a long time. And don't forger the added expense of fuel and spare parts. It's a lot. That's why I don't buy new nitro's anymore.
I still have my first nitro which I bought at 14 and the engine still runs great but I can't repair the car because the pull start was beyond repair and I couldn't get a replacement suspension arm and have worn out 3 sets of bushings and bearings.
I did replace that car the with the slightly newer version of the car of which you can still buy the correct suspension arms.

Long story short I tuned mine fine for the 6 years I ran it but couldn't get the rest of the car going again when I came back to RC. I now deal with 1/8 nitros and brushless cars.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 01:35 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,734 Posts
What that makes 2? You need more glow plugs. I have 16 nitros!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 06:09 PM
Joined Jan 2015
801 Posts
16 is too much just for nitros!!
I have 5 main cars plus a toy grade car, 2 of which are nitro.
I also buy, fix, run, race and sell three or four nitros a month so I play with quite a lot of cars.
I couldn't be bothered keeping 16 cars all nitro, the cleaning alone would drive me crazy or txtkiller do you keep all yours on the shelf and just look at them? Also txtkiller maybe if you bought better glow plugs they might not need to buy so many.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 08:50 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,734 Posts
Make that 17 nitros. I only run a few. I buy them mostly for parts and fix them up and sell. I normally go threw 1-2 plug a summer. Buying plugs in bulk saves money. I get the lowest price possible $4 a plug NOT 5.35 BP =$8.35 us and I don't have to order over and over waiting for parts. OS # 8 are the best plugs. All plugs come from the same place. Re-banded plugs are no cheaper from hobbyking. I also have 7 gasoline trucks.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by MaxOverdrive
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2015
523 Posts
how is it all Nitro plugs come from same place.. so Merlin make all plug . as I have seen his shop in cleveland OH.. hmm great merlin is rich with this statement..Biggest crook ive heard on hear.LOL.
MaxOverdrive is offline Find More Posts by MaxOverdrive
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 22, 2015, 09:01 PM
Joined Jan 2015
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOverdrive View Post
how is it all Nitro plugs come from same place.. so Merlin make all plug . as I have seen his shop in cleveland OH.. hmm great merlin is rich with this statement..Biggest crook ive heard on hear.LOL.
I think glow plugs are pretty boring in conversation but txtkiller has to keep spamming the forum with the prices he sells his glow plugs at since I closed this solved thread a while back, he private messaged me and all sorts since then.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2442345