New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:18 PM
Find More Posts by Chevrolet
Australia, SA, McLaren Flat
Joined Apr 2015
33 Posts
Discussion
1 meter class- what is allowed

Hi all, can anyone in OZ confirm if the likes of a Pro Ragazza or AquaCraft Vela One Meter - 2.4GHz Racing Sailboat for example

Both being Fiberglass and having the length and sail area that i believe is required, i know people are running them in clubs, are they considered a competitive class as such

I think in my instance this may be the type of craft for me to start with as its relatively cheap and yet i believe with a few mods can be fast, also they are not toys
Chevrolet is offline Find More Posts by Chevrolet
Last edited by Chevrolet; Apr 29, 2015 at 10:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,471 Posts
US One Meter is 39-3/8" max. Vela One Meter is 40 in (1015 mm).

http://www.theamya.org/boats/us1m/us1mimg.php
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by hiljoball
Canada, BC, Strathcona
Joined Jul 2011
602 Posts
Your question is not very clear. There is no such thing as a One Meter Class.

You may find pockets of sailors sailing one of those boats as a local class.

There are several classes where the boat measures about one meter.

For example there are the US1M, the ODOM, IOM, Soling 1M.

Each of these measures 1 meter in length, but each has its own unique set of rules.

The two boats that you list do not easily fit into any of those classes listed due to restrictions in the class rules of each specific class.

The ODOM and Soling 1M are proprietary one designs - ie must come from an approved builder.

The easiest class to fit into would be the US1M, as it has the fewest restrictions. But you may still need to modify the boat in some ways to fit into the rule - eg length of fin. As most competitive US1Ms are around 6 lbs or less, I doubt that either of the above would be competitive.

If you want to convert them into legal IOM class boats, throw away the rigs, and build an IOM legal rig. Be prepared to cut off the bow and add a bumper. Then you have to deal with the weight - one is way over the IOM minimum and unlikely to be competitive, while the other is way under weight.

So if you want an IOM, you are better off buying a used one, or building one form some of the excellent plans available.
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Last edited by hiljoball; Apr 29, 2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:25 PM
Find More Posts by Rssailor
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
982 Posts
I would think that it is possible for the Vela if you took 15MM off the stern, and put a US One Meter A rig on it, it would be fast in light wind. The darn keel fin that flexes would be an issue.
I don't know anything about the Ragazza, except that most likely with the extensive development in the IOM class, it would be tough for that boat to be competitive. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:18 AM
Find More Posts by gpzy
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,334 Posts
He is asking for a 1 meter boat class in Australia.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:24 AM
Joined Apr 2015
33 Posts
Hi guys i was just wondering if there was a RTR yacht fiberglass hull, that is a 1 meter that can be used to be competitive in a club, i have looked at the Pro Ragazza and the Vela as well as a couple of others
Price is good for a starter, but wanted opinions and suggestions of any other boats, im that impressed with Hobbyking Joysway as i dont like the radio and it looks a bit like a toy, just saying.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:40 AM
Find More Posts by Rssailor
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
982 Posts
I got that, don't know what 1 meter classes besides IOM sailed in OZ. Be prepared to spend bucks if you want a competitive IOM. Older IOM's are more affordable, but are not competitive at big regatta's. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Apr 30, 2015, 05:02 AM
Find More Posts by War games
Joined Feb 2014
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet View Post
Hi guys i was just wondering if there was a RTR yacht fiberglass hull, that is a 1 meter that can be used to be competitive in a club, i have looked at the Pro Ragazza and the Vela as well as a couple of others
Price is good for a starter, but wanted opinions and suggestions of any other boats, im that impressed with Hobbyking Joysway as i dont like the radio and it looks a bit like a toy, just saying.
Hold of buying anything, have a look at the local clubs and then see what happens. There a any number of older IOM,s around.....I would thing that around $600 would get you on the water with a good club boat and a couple of rigs. The orange radio is a bargain, check it out.....around 60.00 good to go.......I know of a couple of older M,s .....around the same cost......
War games is offline Find More Posts by War games
Old Apr 30, 2015, 07:41 AM
Joined Apr 2015
33 Posts
Cheers wargames, the cheaper the boat the better, which orange radio seemed good at $60, maybe a link if you have one

any suggestions on a fibreglass IOM is welcome
Old Apr 30, 2015, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,616 Posts
You need to check on local clubs and what they sail if you are looking for someone to sail with .... or against Also, unless you have a seemingly unlimited budget, bringing anything in from outside your country (or even a locally built boat) may be a deal breaker due to freight and any import taxes and costs.

I'll throw out something that has grabbed world wide interest - and that is the Dragon Force ( / RG65) At around 26 inches - it is slightly smaller than 1 meter but at least it would probably be easy to find others there that have the same boat. Sail it as a one design, and if you enjoy it - you can always build/buy a "built" RG65. There are a batch of 1 meter boats available from Asia, but none have been embraced as widely as the DF - and production of many are for manufacturer's profit - not necessarily for owner's racing. As others have mentioned - if you are "hell bent" on a 1 Meter, then an IOM is a logical choice - but the class has been around long enough to have a lot of older boats that might be available - but some aren't that competitive if you want to race - so again - find a club close by, see what they sail and consider that as the guideline for spending your money. Once you have stick time in and understand basic as well as advanced sailing, know tactics, have competed in some sail races - then by all means - follow your heart - knowing it may not lead you down the same path as following your "head" would suggest.

Whatever - good luck in your decisions.

Dick
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by tugboat2011
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Mar 2011
158 Posts
The Ragazza is not IOM legal out of the box even though it implies it is. From what I have seen of a few reports from owners that have tried to upgrade them and they could not get them competitive. But again you are looking at two different price points.

As was suggested the Phantom has a strong following in some states.

My suggestion would be as has been suggested buy a DF65 (just went up $10 in AU). This will allow you to compete in the RG65 class competitions. As for not liking the radio systems replace it with one of your choosing.

If you only want to sail socially then any yacht will allow that but the DF would be the best designed yacht out there for the money.

In a couple of months there just might be something else to look at.
tugboat2011 is offline Find More Posts by tugboat2011
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:33 AM
Find More Posts by Crunchy Frog
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Oct 2012
121 Posts
The only Hong Kong RTR sailboat that's competitive in *any* class is the DF65. So if there's a local fleet, grab one and maybe grab a better controller ($25 from Hobby King for 2 channel 2.4 gh) and you're good to go racing.

If your local fleet sails something else, go and meet with them and find an older used one from one of those guys to get you started.
Crunchy Frog is offline Find More Posts by Crunchy Frog
Last edited by Crunchy Frog; Apr 30, 2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,797 Posts
Deleted duplicate post
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 30, 2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,797 Posts
Chevrolet
The guys have provided you with a wealth of good advise. It is clear you are sensitive to the budget and the prevailing wisdom seems to be to consider the DF 65. If you can find a source down under that offers it without the radio, the HK bargain radios are a solid option.

The two boats you mentioned in you original post the Vela and the Ragazza are both "pretty" boats that come pretty much ready to go and are both fiberglass construction. There are a number of threads on this forum that discuss the pros and cons of these boats should you care to do a little reading. Here in the U.S. there has not been enough interest in them to result in enough guys wanting to establish a new class in the AMYA.

I am not clear on how important racing is to you. But as the guys have pointed out checking out clubs that maybe near you is a great suggestion. I think it is pretty clear that the DF 65 is a great choice and the price is so attractive it takes any fear out of the equation.

Granted is smaller than the 1 meter boats you have mentioned, it is a great boat to start with. You can always sell it if for some reason it wasn't for you.

The guys have shared that this boat is the most popular RC sailboat since the Nirvana ll boats were introduced years ago. Still a great boat by the way. Other staples in RC sailing are the Laser http://www.sailrc.com/showroom/
and the Seawind.(https://kyoshoamerica.3dcartstores.c...T_p_22749.html)

Suggest doing a little reading on any boats that interest you before buying. It can be educational and fun.

Good sailing
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 30, 2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 03:54 PM
Find More Posts by davidjensen
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,330 Posts
Cheve

You need to know what the local club is sailing. If they are sailing IOM's they may be well outside your budget. The DF65 is a very budget friendly option and I'll bet the local club will allow you to sail with them. However, be warned that once you get into the middle of a bunch of other one meter boats on a race coarse in beautiful weather and perfect breezes you will be hooked as you watch them sail away from you towards the first mark. Planning ahead to afford a used IOM (or whatever) after getting the DF65 is the way to go.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen