New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2015, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by abenn
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,629 Posts
Discussion
Need help setting up GPS on Naze32 please

I've been flying my 450-size quad with a full Naze 32 manually for a couple of months now, in acro, angle, and baro modes, and recently I've flashed it with Cleanflight 1.8.0 and added a Ublox Neo 8 GPS to it. Connection was straightforward, following various diagrams and videos I've found on this site, and I think it's working, for I get 3 satellites and a reasonably accurate fix on my location with the GPS inside my house -- brick walls and tile roof. What I can't do is get the GPS Home or GPS Hold functions to toggle to green when I configure a 3-position switch in the Cleanflight Modes tab; the yellow marker moves when I flip the switch on the transmitter, but Home stays red, and Hold stays pink, even after I've clicked on Save.

I thought maybe it was because I hadn't got 5 or more satellites, so I took the quad to the flying field and tried it -- the Neo 8 flashed its green "Fix" light after about 20 seconds, but it was clear that my quad was getting no input from the GPS when I flew it.

So, a few questions:-

What does the green "Fix" light on the Neo 8 mean -- that it's getting a fix, or it's already got a minimum number of satellites for a decent fix?

Does the Naze32 give any indication (I've got a buzzer attached) when it acquires the minimum number of satellites?

Are my GPS functions not turning green simply because it doesn't have five satellites fixed?

Does the fact that I get a reasonable fix, as shown in the GPS and Setup tabs, confirm that my installation is correct? If so, what obvious step in the setup am I missing please?
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2015, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by reelflyt
reelflyt
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
968 Posts
Hi .

Have you thought of going on the Cleanflight firmware thread and reading up on it or ask there ?
reelflyt is offline Find More Posts by reelflyt
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:59 PM
Find More Posts by flyslikearock
United States, OR, Grants Pass
Joined Apr 2014
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
I've been flying my 450-size quad with a full Naze 32 manually for a couple of months now, in acro, angle, and baro modes, and recently I've flashed it with Cleanflight 1.8.0 and added a Ublox Neo 8 GPS to it. Connection was straightforward, following various diagrams and videos I've found on this site, and I think it's working, for I get 3 satellites and a reasonably accurate fix on my location with the GPS inside my house -- brick walls and tile roof. What I can't do is get the GPS Home or GPS Hold functions to toggle to green when I configure a 3-position switch in the Cleanflight Modes tab; the yellow marker moves when I flip the switch on the transmitter, but Home stays red, and Hold stays pink, even after I've clicked on Save.

I thought maybe it was because I hadn't got 5 or more satellites, so I took the quad to the flying field and tried it -- the Neo 8 flashed its green "Fix" light after about 20 seconds, but it was clear that my quad was getting no input from the GPS when I flew it.

So, a few questions:-

What does the green "Fix" light on the Neo 8 mean -- that it's getting a fix, or it's already got a minimum number of satellites for a decent fix?

Does the Naze32 give any indication (I've got a buzzer attached) when it acquires the minimum number of satellites?

Are my GPS functions not turning green simply because it doesn't have five satellites fixed?

Does the fact that I get a reasonable fix, as shown in the GPS and Setup tabs, confirm that my installation is correct? If so, what obvious step in the setup am I missing please?

I just started my first Naze32 gps install tonight. Strange thing is I get the green boxes but have no fix. Do you have angle set as active also?
flyslikearock is online now Find More Posts by flyslikearock
Old Apr 24, 2015, 01:56 AM
Find More Posts by abenn
Joined Jul 2004
12,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelflyt View Post
Hi .

Have you thought of going on the Cleanflight firmware thread and reading up on it or ask there ?
I've been on the Cleanflight thread, but that moves so fast, and they're all talking about fine-tuning the software, so I've never had an answer to my question

flyslikearock, I have angle and baro on another switch, and they work fine when I'm flying manually. But I had them off when I was checking the function of the GPS switch with the Cleanflight software. At the flying field though, I had them both on, and it was quite obvious there was no control from the GPS unit.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by abenn
Joined Jul 2004
12,629 Posts
I've just connected to Cleanflight software again to check the switch functions, and even with angle and baro both enabled (showing green) I can't enable GPS hold or GPS return home. Today I got a fast beeping from the Naze buzzer when I switched to a GPS function, presumably because I didn't wait until the green "Fix" light on my Neo 8 was flashing, but I didn't get that when I tried to enable GPS in the field last week when the green light was flashing.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by stronnag
sweet dreams & flying machines
United Kingdom, England, Netley Marsh
Joined Aug 2013
177 Posts
I'm sure these questions have been answered in the cleanflight thread or your numerous other threads on the same subject ....

Anyway, the mode will not change unless you have a GPS fix (and probably armed as well).

And for the record, here's a nice RTH example from this afternoon (latest CF 1.9.0 --- the very beepy one). Orange symbol is home, yellow is RTH engaged, 8 or 9 satellites, not much wind.

Really, there's only one way to grok the GPS stuff, and that's to actually employ it.
stronnag is online now Find More Posts by stronnag
Old Apr 24, 2015, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by abenn
Joined Jul 2004
12,629 Posts
Thanks stronnag, but neither here nor in the other threads have I got a simple answer to my basic questions In the Cleanflight thread all I got was something like "you need an OSD", and I then had to go and find what an OSD was before deciding I don't think I want that complication.

OK, you've answered my question about why the GPS functions aren't turning green, but I'm still a little in the dark about the other two:-

Old Apr 24, 2015, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by stronnag
sweet dreams & flying machines
United Kingdom, England, Netley Marsh
Joined Aug 2013
177 Posts
If you have a > 5 satellites, the red led appears to pulsate. There is perhaps a beeping as well with recent firmware (there are so many beeps now it's hard to know what they are for).
Ultimately, if you're not prepared to help yourself, even with something as trivial as ez-gui, then I fail to see how anyone else can help you. The whole ethos of an open source project is experimentation, which is now most of learned.
stronnag is online now Find More Posts by stronnag
Old Apr 25, 2015, 02:19 AM
Find More Posts by abenn
Joined Jul 2004
12,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stronnag View Post
... Ultimately, if you're not prepared to help yourself, even with something as trivial as ez-gui, then I fail to see how anyone else can help you. The whole ethos of an open source project is experimentation, which is now most of learned.
Thanks stronnag, but I am experimenting and learning, but getting nowhere at the moment with the GPS aspect .... I thought that's what this forum is for

If I knew how my setup is supposed to behave (green lights, green bars, etc.) I'd probably be able to figure things out. But I've read the Naze manual, the Neo 8 manual, the Cleanflight manual (the most comprehensive of the three), and the Baseflight and Cleanflight threads in this forum, and I haven't found the answers to my last two questions yet

I'd never heard of ez-gui until now. I'll have a look at it.