SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by Rain1dog
United States, LA, Kenner
Joined Sep 2014
936 Posts
Discussion
I'm starting over again on a waaaayy simpler scratch build design..

That is going to be used for a little bit of everything just depending on how I configure it. I have to give credit where credit is due, and the design comes from expieimentalairlines and it's called the "Noob Tube", affectionately. It's about as simple as one can get, it's not pretty, but hey I learn the basics of building, it's very strong, flys dam good, super super easy to fix/change out parts, and it can FPV, be a speed demon, or whatever i want it to be.
Rain1dog is offline Find More Posts by Rain1dog
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:02 PM
Joined Sep 2014
936 Posts
I'm going to fly this thing until I master flight with zero panic buttons, gyros... Just me, radio, plane. I don't care if it takes me 3 years.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
3,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain1dog View Post
That is going to be used for a little bit of everything just depending on how I configure it. I have to give credit where credit is due, and the design comes from expieimentalairlines and it's called the "Noob Tube", affectionately. It's about as simple as one can get, it's not pretty, but hey I learn the basics of building, it's very strong, flys dam good, super super easy to fix/change out parts, and it can FPV, be a speed demon, or whatever i want it to be.
Excellent !

I enjoy scratch building as much as flying , especially because the airframes only cost a few dollars when made out of Dollar Tree Store foam board - that eliminates the stress of worrying about crashing an expensive store bought airframe !

Here is my slowest flying scratch built :

Lightweight 40" wingspan FT Old Fogey-ish (2 min 58 sec)

Here is my fastest flying scratch built :

Dollar Tree foam board SkyFun ( ish ) (4 min 6 sec)
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:24 PM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,476 Posts
That's what you need: a cheap plane that you can't hurt because making a new part is dead simple, that you can build, modify, and fly the wings off with no worries at all. Whatever else you fly or build this will be your "take the pressure off" plane along with the UM Radian.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Feb 28, 2015, 01:01 PM
Joined Sep 2014
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
That's what you need: a cheap plane that you can't hurt because making a new part is dead simple, that you can build, modify, and fly the wings off with no worries at all. Whatever else you fly or build this will be your "take the pressure off" plane along with the UM Radian.
You nailed it, Take the pressure off plane!!! Zero...Zero worries of what happens, or how crazy I get, no matter cause it's cheap as dirt, and easy to assemble. I want to enjoy flight, it's what got me into the hobby. I'm tired of being constantly nervous about flight.

Very cool Balsa or Carbon! Took long to build?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 01:09 PM
Joined Sep 2014
936 Posts
That Skyfun looks AWESOME!!! How long and hard of a build is it?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 02:13 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,717 Posts
Quote:
That Skyfun looks AWESOME!!! How long and hard of a build is it?
The Old Fogey-ish took a couple of afternoons to build , the SkyFun-ish about three afternoons . For both of them I used photos of the originals ( FliteTest Old Fogey and HobbyKing SkyFun ) for reference , built them TLAR ( That Looks About Right ) style . Modified the Old Fogey-ish to have a longer tail for more yaw and pitch stability .

It's probably best to build a few proven planes according to plans before making modifications or trying your own designs .

Al
Old Feb 28, 2015, 03:09 PM
Joined Sep 2014
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
The Old Fogey-ish took a couple of afternoons to build , the SkyFun-ish about three afternoons . For both of them I used photos of the originals ( FliteTest Old Fogey and HobbyKing SkyFun ) for reference , built them TLAR ( That Looks About Right ) style . Modified the Old Fogey-ish to have a longer tail for more yaw and pitch stability .

It's probably best to build a few proven planes according to plans before making modifications or trying your own designs .

Al

Your quite the builder, I ordered a scratch build kit from flitetest the FT mustang and couldn't get it to fly, just eye balling it, for me would end in a complete waste of time, heh...

Came out great though!

To be honest, that old fogey looks like the perfect FPV. It looks like it almost hovers in one place.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 03:57 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,717 Posts
Quote:
Your quite the builder, I ordered a scratch build kit from flitetest the FT mustang and couldn't get it to fly, just eye balling it, for me would end in a complete waste of time, heh...

Came out great though!

To be honest, that old fogey looks like the perfect FPV. It looks like it almost hovers in one place.
The slow flight of the Old Fogey-ish is due to the extreme light wing loading . Wing loading is overall weight RELATIVE to wing area . A plane with light wing loading doesn't need much speed to get airborne , a plane with heavy wing loading is forced to go fast in order for the wings to be able to generate enough lift to get airborne .

I also built a 60" wingspan Old Fogey-ish , that would probably be a good size for FPV .

FT Old Fogey-ish with 60" wingspan (1 min 56 sec)
Old Mar 01, 2015, 12:29 PM
Joined Sep 2014
936 Posts
Just finished the wing. Not perfect, but will get better at each attempt.

Edit: I think I just noticed my first screw up... I think my wing is upside down.... Lol...

Looking at the picture from orginal design to mine it is indeed upside down... I have the hi/low pressure sides reversed.
Last edited by Rain1dog; Mar 01, 2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 12:33 PM
Joined Sep 2014
936 Posts
I get frustrated if I don't get it on the first go around. I'm used to being pretty decent at most things, but flying and building has stopped me in my tracks. I have to remember there is NO RUSH I do not need to start a build and have it airborne the same day, and if things go wrong it's OK.

I'm not used to constant mistakes so it's a learning curve mostly within myself.

That wing is freaking ugly.... So shoddy looking.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 12:48 PM
Joined Sep 2014
936 Posts
Wonder how it will do...
Old Mar 01, 2015, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by wilf370
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
606 Posts
The very first thing that I did in RC was to build the wing for the noob tube. It got me started in the hobby. seems like you did not follow ed's plans from his website.
you have to follow his measurements and steps closely and not try to change things.
One othe thing if you read on Ed's wright up on the Noob tube you will see that he say's it is not an easy plane to fly It is meant for some one with good flying skills and I have to agree with him on that it was a challenge to learn to fly. I had to learn on several easier planes before I got back to the noob tube.
wilf370 is offline Find More Posts by wilf370
Old Mar 01, 2015, 08:16 PM
Joined Sep 2014
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilf370 View Post
The very first thing that I did in RC was to build the wing for the noob tube. It got me started in the hobby. seems like you did not follow ed's plans from his website.
you have to follow his measurements and steps closely and not try to change things.
One othe thing if you read on Ed's wright up on the Noob tube you will see that he say's it is not an easy plane to fly It is meant for some one with good flying skills and I have to agree with him on that it was a challenge to learn to fly. I had to learn on several easier planes before I got back to the noob tube.
I tried watching his videos. Kinda hard to follow when it's going from 7 inch chord to 5 inch chord. This would be my 6th plane. Does he have a webpage to go along with his videos!?
Old Mar 01, 2015, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by wilf370
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
606 Posts
I used the u-tube videos they are pretty easy to follow but you have to do one step at a time running threw that step on the video till you get it right. It all comes together after you get threw you first wing.
If you want something to FPV with the photon design of his would be great . as it is slower and more stable than the Noob tube which is defiantly a real hotrod.
Did you remove the paper where ed tells you to and left it on where he says . iThats really important. I do like building planes with the armin wing design of ed's .
The wing on the plane i\on my avatar is the very first wing I built.
wilf
wilf370 is offline Find More Posts by wilf370