SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Today, 03:16 AM
Find More Posts by ctzsnooze
Joined May 2014
485 Posts
DSM2 allocates two frequencies at start time to share from startup between Tx and Rx. If anyone else comes in on one frequency after takeoff, they try the other, but theoretically if both become busy, you could have a problem. DSMX switches through frequencies frequently and selects the best of them, dynamically. To date I've only used DSM2 sats with an Orange Tx module in my Taranis. I've had no problems, though DSMX is theoretically better (and is supported by the Orange module).

With a motowii you can remove the socket on the sat and thread three thin wires (carefully, lots of soluder paste ) to directly to matching holes on the motowii, removing the connector entirely. Either bind before removing the socket (using spare proper lemon Rx), or leave enough of the pins poking up to squeeze on a connector for binding. Cleanflight systems can bind the sat via the sketch, not sure about multiwii.

A de-pinned D4R-II is compact enough to fit on a warp quad - take the pins off, remove the covering, put three PPM wires in place of pins, remove the socket for the battery monitor and put a wire there, wrap in thin heat shrink - not *that* big anymore.

If you only have a sat Rx you'll be in the dark about the battery status unless you add a LiPo monitor with a buzzer or use flashing LED's. The extra bulk of those things generally exceeds the extra mass of the D4R.

If you might do a bit of FPV flying or FPV assisted long range camera work, battery and signal telemetry is very useful.

I use D4R's on my mini quads, and sats on true micro quads where every single gram matters.
ctzsnooze is offline Find More Posts by ctzsnooze
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 03:16 AM
Find More Posts by Nasan
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Dec 2014
134 Posts
Ok ok.. why would i need a lot? do they break easily? I would buy a few while i'm there though since they are fairly cheap.
So would this count as the full feature unit to bind the little sat. ?- http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.p...product_id=100

Then just get a few of these little guys - http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.p...&product_id=98

Quote:
Originally Posted by EArHog View Post
If you decide to go with the Lemon satellite Rx, do what Soma does - buy a bunch of them.

You will also need to get one full-feature Rx to bind the little sat. Rx to your transmitter. There's another way to bind a sat. using Naze flight controller, but I don't know how that works (don't need to know, either).
Nasan is online now Find More Posts by Nasan
Old Today, 03:18 AM
Find More Posts by Too Many Toys
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
Australia, VIC, Eurobin
Joined Jul 2014
534 Posts
Noodles

I set up some Noodles just to see how they go as FPV obstacles.
Forgot the damn hammer so found some Tail Traps in the clubhouse and slipped
the PVC conduit over the top to support them.
The flexible conduit didn't work as well as a 6", 150mm length of plain straight
as a joiner for the arcs. There was a slight breeze, made no difference, they hardly bent at all
Too Many Toys is online now Find More Posts by Too Many Toys
Old Today, 03:26 AM
Find More Posts by Nasan
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Dec 2014
134 Posts
So the DSMX sounds like it might be helpful in some situations with multiple quads in the air.
That D4R-II mod sounds ok, however it would still leave fairly long antenna wires yeah..?
I was planing on running a lipo battery low voltage monitor with buzzer such as this one, http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...877000270.html as i use on my blackout. that plus a timer is all i figure id need as my Warp quad will never be flow out of eyesight, (wouldn't plan on it anyways) Im not worried about the general mass next to the battery where the lipo monitor would be strapped.. its the area on top of the FC between the top plate, where i would be jamming a D4R-II. Instead id like the simply have a small sized Lemon sat, such as in the photo of BOPs mullet FC in the post previous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctzsnooze View Post
DSM2 allocates two frequencies at start time to share from startup between Tx and Rx. If anyone else comes in on one frequency after takeoff, they try the other, but theoretically if both become busy, you could have a problem. DSMX switches through frequencies frequently and selects the best of them, dynamically. To date I've only used DSM2 sats with an Orange Tx module in my Taranis. I've had no problems, though DSMX is theoretically better (and is supported by the Orange module).

With a motowii you can remove the socket on the sat and thread three thin wires (carefully, lots of soluder paste ) to directly to matching holes on the motowii, removing the connector entirely. Either bind before removing the socket (using spare proper lemon Rx), or leave enough of the pins poking up to squeeze on a connector for binding. Cleanflight systems can bind the sat via the sketch, not sure about multiwii.

A de-pinned D4R-II is compact enough to fit on a warp quad - take the pins off, remove the covering, put three PPM wires in place of pins, remove the socket for the battery monitor and put a wire there, wrap in thin heat shrink - not *that* big anymore.

If you only have a sat Rx you'll be in the dark about the battery status unless you add a LiPo monitor with a buzzer or use flashing LED's. The extra bulk of those things generally exceeds the extra mass of the D4R.

If you might do a bit of FPV flying or FPV assisted long range camera work, battery and signal telemetry is very useful.

I use D4R's on my mini quads, and sats on true micro quads where every single gram matters.
Nasan is online now Find More Posts by Nasan
Old Today, 03:48 AM
Find More Posts by mredjr
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Jan 2014
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpabmendez View Post
The Full Naze Rev5 can take in straight 3s or 4s power to run it.

But the Acro Naze can not, it can only take in 5volts

" Max 5.5V power via servo connector (rev0-4, rev5acro), Max 16V power via servo connector (rev5)"

https://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/wiki/AfroFlight32
Are you sure you're not reading that wrong? I bought the Acro Naze from Hobbyking and it says it is the Rev5 and it does the 16V Max input.

AfroFlight Naze32 Acro AbuseMark FunFly Controller

From what i'm reading, the Acro Naze does take 16V for input. I need to know if it is wrong because I have a 6V Pololu to use as my Regulator. Maybe Hobbyking has it listed wrong?
mredjr is offline Find More Posts by mredjr
Last edited by mredjr; Today at 03:59 AM.
Old Today, 04:04 AM
Find More Posts by Bird of Prey
Warp Possessed
Australia, ACT, Belconnen
Joined Aug 2013
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasan View Post
Thanks dude,
I actually have that pic of yours saved, and i was going to use that idea, as well as your Pololu method too.

I was planning on PMing you asking about it. But posted in the main thread instead.
Thanks
I've replied to your PM mate

Cheers
BoP
Bird of Prey is online now Find More Posts by Bird of Prey
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 04:27 AM
Find More Posts by Too Many Toys
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
Australia, VIC, Eurobin
Joined Jul 2014
534 Posts
Some newer versions of Naze will support up to 16V. Since late 2014
The Older versions won't, you need to read the Chip ID # on the Regulator
to verify if unsure.
The AfroMini 32 manual has a reference to the
3.3V Regulator input capability or not. The same may apply to the Naze 32.
I use a Reg anyway as I usually run the Rx first in the chain of command.

Note: If you run a heap of stuff out of the Naze regulator, e.g. post-Naze, Rx, LEDs, stuff
( and Naze supplied with 12V or 14V ) it will get HOT ! ! .
SMD regulators without heatsinks are not designed to support large current, 150ma+

Moto Moto may have similar figures from his boards using a similar SMD Reg ?
Too Many Toys is online now Find More Posts by Too Many Toys
Last edited by Too Many Toys; Today at 04:44 AM.