HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by peterlngh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 01, 2014, 06:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Contest
The December Big Sky, everyone's invited, Soaring Contest.

THE DECEMBER BIG SKY INTERNATIONAL
LONGEST DURATION CONTEST FOR ALL ELECTRIC AND HAND LAUNCHED GLIDERS
THERMAL SOARING AND SLOPE SOARING
RULES AND INFO:
Contest will run from 12:01 am December 1st to 11:59 PM December 31st Eastern US time.
The contest is for ALL electric or hand launched gliders or airplanes of all sizes, all materials and all controls. The contest is intended to help motivate you to develop your thermal and slope soaring skills.
The contest is open to all gliders, e-gliders and, if you like, e-airplanes too. If it glides, it qualifies.
In Thermal Duration, the contest is split into three classifications, 2-meter and under E Gliders, Open class E Gliders and Hand Launch Gliders.
You can post as many times as you like using as many planes as you like, but only one will be counted per pilot per category regardless of what kind of plane you are flying. You can replace a shorter time with a longer time any point during the contest. You can fly as many flights as you like.
Goal - longest duration thermal and slope flights without use of the motor.
THE PLANES:
* Any electric motor system or unpowered hand launch glider. (No winches or Hi-Starts).
* Any wing controls and any wing span
* Any construction
BIG SKY - ELECTRIC THERMAL SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 30 seconds, then you turn the motor off and you can not restart it. Reclimbs are not permitted. If you restart the motor the flight time is no good.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle. This is an LMR, Limited Motor Run contest with a pretty long motor run allowed so that the motor run itself does not provide much advantage to anyone. Many will choose to shut off the motor in less than 30 seconds. No credit for shorter motor runs.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. I have multiple timers on my radio so I can do this with my radio alone. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground/hand. No reclimbs permitted.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - HAND LAUNCH THERMAL SOARING
1) Soaring time starts at release of the plane.
2) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be hand catch or on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - SLOPE SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 5 seconds, if you need it to get into the lift. I would expect most slope flights will have no motor run but some sites need a boost to the lift.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle and is subtracted from the total flight time.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing has to be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the same level as the launch. Landing down the slope or up in the trees does not count. You must come to rest in a "normal" landing spot and be able to walk over and pick it up. I realize this can vary by slope site so you are on your honor as to whether this was a normal landing.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground or hand. No powered reclimbs permitted. If you restart the motor the flight does not count.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. Try as many days as you like to get your best time of the month.
For either contest you report the results via post.
Report Format:
Your Name - Real or RCGroup Name - your choice
Glider/plane name and wingspan:
Thermal, Hand Launch or Slope:
Date and Time of flight:
Duration of flight:
Comments - You are welcome to report anything you like about the day, the flight. Pictures, videos, gps plots, etc are welcome but not required.
I will maintain the thread and keep the second post updated with the top 10 Thermal (2 meter class) top 10 Thermal (Open class)and top ten Slope reports. Only one flight of each type will be recorded in the standings for each pilot. A new better time will replace the original.
THREAD CONTENT -
While it's preferred that posts are about contest business; brief comments about items of common interest are welcome. This includes but is not limited to: new planes, safety warnings, tales of remarkable flights that might not be official entries, humorous incidents, well wishes for those facing health issues, the bloody weather, and messages of congratulation or conciliation. Short of your personal version of War and Peace all comments are welcome unless I receive multiple complaints.

Contest Records:

2 Meter Class:
Andy Grose (dee-grose)
Glider name:Radian
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight:April 19, 2012 11:20am
Duration of flight:1:38:04 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 3028ft AGL

Open Class:
MrE / Larry
Sailplane: Bubble Dancer
Date and Time of flight: 13 October 2013 2:30PM
Duration of flight: 1 hr 52 minutes 37 seconds
Weather: Mostly clear, +55F, light variable winds

Hand Launch:
nigel Sheffield
glider blaster dlg
thermal
1/3/2014
time 10:24am
duration 54:26
Yorkshire UK

Slope:
744Drv
Sailplane: Radian Pro 2m
Discipline: Slope
Date time of launch: 26 Nov 12:57
Place: Lookout Hill overlooking Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
Conditions: E 5-10kts
Duration: 3 hrs 2 mins
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2014, 06:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Monthly Standings.

2 Meter:

MMR - Martin
Glider name: 1.5M HL Chrysalis Electro
Date and Time of flight: December 15, noon
Duration of flight: 21:58 (including approx 30 sec motor run)

Open Class:

Airman 74
Time of flight : approx 1:30pm Sunday Dec 6th
Open class : plane : pulsar 3.6m fullhouse
Time of flight after 20sec 200m motor run : 47:32
Forgot to include location,, SVSS club field at Davis,Ca
Last edited by peterlngh; Dec 17, 2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2014, 03:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Woo-hoo! 32F, bright sun, and light wind. Not bad for the first weekend in December.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 02:15 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Nice day for flying yesterday at SVSSs annual toy fly .
Untypical nor cal December day,, light winds , puffy clouds, 63deg. Abundant lift
Time of flight : approx 1:30pm Sunday Dec 6th
Open class : plane : pulsar 3.6m fullhouse
Time of flight after 20sec 200m motor run : 47:32
Forgot to include location,, SVSS club field at Davis,Ca
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Last edited by Airman74; Dec 08, 2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:09 PM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
469 Posts
2 Meter Class:
MMR - Martin
Glider name: 1.5M HL Chrysalis Electro
Date and Time of flight: December 15, noon
Duration of flight: 21:58 (including approx 30 sec motor run)

Time to get this thread back in gear!

Weather was great today - from frost inthe AM to mid 50's by noon & hardly any wind. Actually, any air movement was a thermal!
Decided to take the Chrysalis to work with me and play during lunch -

First flight was this one - atually spent most of my time trying to keep the Chrysalis from climbing too fast and the tail visible - after my last experience (destroying my 2M) I was very sensitive to flying too high - especially since I don't have flaps or dive brakes on this one...

In any case, I had a blast - too bad I had to land and go back to work

Thermals!

Martin
MMR is offline Find More Posts by MMR
Old Dec 17, 2014, 08:06 PM
Joined Aug 2014
117 Posts
Can some one clarify something for me??? I was under some impression this was another rich guy thing that takes place some where in particular. can anyone can post there flight times here from Anny place? . I live in Florida so its still warm i caught several thermals yesterday and today and only came down because i was afraid of my battery being low. How do you prove yor flight times ? I can fly with my samsung g4 taped to the plane but i dont think I can record more then 10 or 15 minuets . orelse i have to fly with a e flight camera for 40 bucks lol
flying ferret is offline Find More Posts by flying ferret
Old Dec 17, 2014, 08:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ferret View Post
Can some one clarify something for me??? I was under some impression this was another rich guy thing that takes place some where in particular. can anyone can post there flight times here from Anny place? . I live in Florida so its still warm i caught several thermals yesterday and today and only came down because i was afraid of my battery being low. How do you prove yor flight times ? I can fly with my samsung g4 taped to the plane but i dont think I can record more then 10 or 15 minuets . orelse i have to fly with a e flight camera for 40 bucks lol
This is just for fun and informal bragging, flying ferret. We operate on the honor system so no proof is required. There is no entry fee and no fabulous prizes. The only requirement is that one sticks fairly close to the format shown in the all time records because it makes it easier for me, your humble and somewhat lazy guest host, to add the "official entries" into the record. That; and a general cheerfulness. We accept and encourage entries from anywhere in the world with any glider. Plus, as long as you provide the class of glider, wing span, and whether it's a slope or thermal flight; powered glider or HLG/DLG, I don't even care if the format of an entry is less than perfect. We also encourage a fair amount of simple chatting as long as one doesn't post your personal version of "War and Peace".

Cheers!

I forgot to mention. we don't accept hi-start or winch launches or motor runs of over 30 seconds although, if one does go a bit over 30 seconds, let us know anyway and I'll just add an asterisk. It's all very informal.
Last edited by peterlngh; Dec 17, 2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 08:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Hi, guys.

The thread is still active though I have suffered many distractions as of late. Lousy weather, some health issues, a renewed entry into the world of scale modeling, and general laziness concurrent with the season have kept me away for a while. I'm also probably going to be unavailable from Christmas Eve though about the 10th of January so, those of you lucky enough to get some flying in, just post results here and I'll take care of the bookkeeping ASAP.

Cheers!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:28 PM
Splash down counter: 10
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
1,110 Posts
flying ferret, welcome. Post your times. Just look at previous posts to see the format to use of your flight information. I am surprised we don't get more people participating. I find it a lot of fun. If you want to have something to show then you can get an altimeter with a logging function to post your flight altitude graphs. As was already mentioned though it is not a requirement. It is all for fun. The graphs just give us something to show and talk about.
xStatiCa is offline Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:39 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi, guys.

The thread is still active though I have suffered many distractions as of late. Lousy weather, some health issues, a renewed entry into the world of scale modeling, and general laziness concurrent with the season have kept me away for a while. I'm also probably going to be unavailable from Christmas Eve though about the 10th of January so, those of you lucky enough to get some flying in, just post results here and I'll take care of the bookkeeping ASAP.

Cheers!
Enjoy your well earned vacation from the hard work and un-ending drudgery of maintaining this thread Peter!

Seriously, we do all appreciate your efforts. I havent had a chance to fly in what feels like months, but I still enjoy watching this thread and living vicariously via everyone elses flights
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:07 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,699 Posts
Hi guys, sorry to hear you have had more health problems peter, hope you are feeling well again soon.
Weather is rubbish still so I've ended up spending some dough !
Just bought 2 gliders from r2 hobbies half price
Gliderman 3 meter with motor and ESC and servos for 80!
Raptor tx advance 30
50 postage though!
Sale is still on if anyone else want a deal!

I also ordered loads of frsky stuff and a new dlg thowt a while ago,
If the weather does not change soon I will be broke.
Cheers
Nigel.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Dec 19, 2014, 07:43 AM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
469 Posts
Hi guys,
This will likely be my last post for the year. Beautiful soaring day in eastern North Carolina yesterday! Temperatures from 30's in the AM to 50's by noon and no real wind to speak of - Chrysalis time! Sure enough, managed a 28 minute flight let it climb to 250 meters - but same as last time out, spent most of my time trying to stay in the lift without letting the plane get out of sight.
Do have a log, but did not have time to download it yesterday - and we're leaving to visit family for Christmas as soon as I get off work.

So you all have a wonderful holiday!

Martin
MMR is offline Find More Posts by MMR
Old Dec 20, 2014, 02:31 AM
Splash down counter: 10
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
1,110 Posts
The best I could do today was almost 14 minutes. I was excited to get down to around 30 feet and then take it right back up again which helped my time. I couldn't get very high today for some reason. Birds were circling up high at times so I assume my skills need to improve .

xStatiCa
Glider - 1.5m Binary IV DLG
Thermal, Hand Launch
12/19/2014
Time 2:05 pm
Duration 13:41
New Port Richey, FL
Weather 73F, Winds calm
xStatiCa is offline Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Last edited by xStatiCa; Dec 20, 2014 at 03:14 AM. Reason: almost 14 minutes not 15
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,531 Posts
Peter, Good luck with your health. We are in deep freeze here in Northern Vermont. Good skiing but no flying for a while. Well, I might sneak in a heli or quad copter flight off the driveway..
Cheers, and Merry Christmas to everyone on this thread!
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Yesterday at 12:02 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,531 Posts
flying ferret asked
Quote:
How do you prove yor flight times ?
It's not obligatory but I really like these Soaringcircuits RAM 3 altitude loggers. Then you can really see after the fact how high you flew, and how long. I sometimes forget to start a timer, on my transmitter, so this helps to provide a record, too.

You connect the RAM3 to an open servo port, on your receiver for power. After a flight you download the data into the Flightview graph software.

Here is a link, scroll down to the RAM3 info
http://www.soaringcircuits.com/
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Yesterday at 11:57 AM.