HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:10 PM
Joined Oct 2014
1 Posts
Discussion
New to RC Mentor-G 26cc Gas Trainer Tricycle Landing Gear

Hello all,

I am currently trying to get back into flying RC planes. I have gotten in touch with a local club near my location and have been mentored by one of their board members. He has been EXTREMELY helpful in the process of deciding what to get and I recommend for any new pilots to go find a club nearby!

I have flown RC planes before at a much younger age, but would like to become much more involved. I wanted to see if anyone here had any knowledge of the Mentor-G 26 cc. I have read about every page I can find online and have even found a step by step build with pictures on this article:

http://www.modelaviation.com/mentorg

Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful at finding a good review by someone who was setting it up with the Tricycle Landing Gear.

The standard setup, from what I have read, has very good reviews and I think will be a good plane to get back into RC with. ( I have flown multiple miniature RC planes, helicopters, and quad-copters that were all electric. I also will be trained on a buddy box by a veteran at the RC club)

I am just going to list what I have ordered so far so you can see where I am currently at.

Engine:
The mentor at the club(once again cannot stress how much help he has been) has offered to let me use his old Brillelli 26cc Gas engine. He has also provided me with the carburetor, ignition starter, and muffler.

Horizon Hobby:
- Spektrum DX6 w/ free receiver which was also recommended by many online and had great reviews except for the battery life. So I also ordered the 2000mAh Transmitter rechargeable battery pack.
- (5) A6180 digital aircraft servo

Maxford USA:
-Mentor G 26cc trainer w/
- (4) 12" servo extensions and
- (1) 12" Y harness

http://www.maxfordusa.com/mentor-g26cctrainer.aspx

Fults Tooling:
-RF770 (for the tricycle nose setup)

Tower Hobbies:
-Hobbico Hydrimax NiMH 5C 6V 2000mAh Reciever(for Reciever and Servos)
-Hobbico Hydrimax NiMH 4C 4.8V 20000mAh Stater Battery
-(4) Beechwood Xoar 17x6 Propeller
-Dubro Tygon Fuel tubing (6ft.)
-Dubro Fuel line barbs(5)
-Dubro Kwik-Fill Fuel Pump
-TH CA+ Medium Glue 2oz.
-TH Activator 2 oz. w/ pump

The club has also been very generous and are going to let me use an old battery charger for the two NiMH batteries as well as ignition and receiver switches.

So my entire purpose of this post was to see if anyone had any suggestions on the build or saw anything else I would need. I have read over the Mentor-G's manual and have tried my best to familiarize myself with everything I need but wanted to see if anyone had actually built this plane, especially with the tricycle setup.

Thank you so much for your time and assisting me along the way into this exciting hobby!
Bkauf01 is offline Find More Posts by Bkauf01
Last edited by Bkauf01; Oct 20, 2014 at 11:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:14 PM
United States, NJ, Woodstown
Joined Sep 2011
133 Posts
no help here, but welcome back to the hobby.

It sounds like your club has all the support you need to be successful....good luck.
valkrider is offline Find More Posts by valkrider
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:15 AM
Flying the Wings Off It!
United States, AZ, Golden Valley
Joined Sep 2011
85 Posts
First of all welcome back! You are doing everything exactly right by getting a hand from your club even though you aren't a completely starting from scratch. They sound like a really great bunch of guys. I wish I could get all the money back that I WASTED learning to fly on my own! Other than some differences in landing and takeoff I would figure the plane would fly about the same. I had a hard time with trike gear simply for the fact that when I was learning to land (read: semi-controlled crash) I had a tendency to land nose wheel first which is obviously hard on a nose gear and firewall so I just kinda transitioned to tail draggers . Ground tracking on takeoff will likely be a non-event and once you set it down the roll out on landing will be too. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful than telling you stuff you probably already know. Good luck!
Jason G is offline Find More Posts by Jason G