HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2014, 08:01 PM
United States, WA, Mt Vernon
Joined Jun 2014
208 Posts
Build Log
RCM Trainer 5 build.

Since I have more 1/2a engines than I know what to do with, I decided that it's time for another plane. With poor weather rapidly approaching I imagine I will build a couple more over the winter months.

Decided on the cox .049 with the tank, and will add an exhaust throttle when I get around to ordering one.

Next to decide what to build, so I hit up outer zone and started browsing. Liked the looks of this trainer, and wanted something a bit slower to fly.

Printed out my customary three copies on a kip 3000 in the office.

One to hang up, one to build on, one to cut up for templates.
Neglected to print a copy with the wing mirrored so I will do that tomorrow.

Sorted through my balsa pile for any pieces I can use up, and made my rib templates. Glued the paper to some thick poster board, and I trace these on the balsa.
Got 10 completed and ran out of 3/32. I have enough leftovers from other projects to complete the tail surfaces and body formers. More than likely I will do the elevator later tonight once the kids are in bed.

Once complete I hope this will be a nice slow flyer to help hone my skills. My lastick is a blast but does not give much reaction time when things go pear shaped in the air. I will thank my video game addiction for quick reflexes and thumb control pulling me out of several close calls with the ground.
MiZer1981 is offline Find More Posts by MiZer1981
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2014, 02:18 PM
Team Fearless
United States, MD, Piney Point
Joined Mar 2005
1,760 Posts
Subscribed.
If this turns as nice as your La Stick, you'll have a sweet flying little trainer.

Shawn
~SnApRoLl is online now Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl
Old Sep 04, 2014, 12:18 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
395 Posts
Count me in too
NOI53Y is online now Find More Posts by NOI53Y
Old Sep 04, 2014, 12:54 AM
Joined Jun 2014
208 Posts
Thanks guys!

Picked up the rest of the wood today at lunch.

Finished up the wing ribs and sanded down to match. Ribs are my least favorite part and I think that goes back to a model I tried in my early teens that wasn't die cut so I ended up ruining most of the ribs trying to cut them out. Happily I have learned some patience in the last 20 years and didn't mangle a single one!

Took a break from those and finished up the tail surfaces. Still need to round the edges, but that will be for another day.

Finished off the night with a dry fitting of the wings, happily I remembered to print a mirrored copy of the wing today.

I will need to trim the trailing edge about 1/4 of an inch to match the plans. This was the closest the lhs had.

My finger tips are sore from holding the single edge razors I insist on using for all my cutting. Just don't have the control with an exacto handle.

The wing tips will be fun, I plan to carve them from a light block once the wings are ready.

Tomorrow I hope to have the wings glued to dry overnight, and may start on the body formers.

Still need to figure out servos for this. Going with three channel as I would enjoy a throttle.

Also hung up my free flight models. Wife was complaining about airplanes everywhere.

Old Sep 04, 2014, 07:31 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
395 Posts
Looking good so far
NOI53Y is online now Find More Posts by NOI53Y
Old Sep 04, 2014, 04:16 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,760 Posts
The build looks a nice!!
Old Sep 04, 2014, 04:25 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,760 Posts
I dig the Free Flight collection. And I know all about the "Wife Complaints" My wife and I have a 10x16 Amish Built shed that was supposed to be "Our" storage space but I took it over and turned into a shop!
Here are a couple of my planes hanging in the shop.

Shawn
Old Sep 05, 2014, 11:21 AM
Joined Jun 2014
208 Posts
Nice collection!

Assembled the wings last night. Nearly forgot a pic and had half the pins removed already.

Also rounded the corners on the tail surfaces, quite pleased how that turned out.

I have some mini nylon hinges I was going to use on the tail, but that involves slotting the control surfaces and I am just not confidant in my ability to do that and not cock it up.

Would this model be a tad large for ultracote hinges?
Old Sep 05, 2014, 01:36 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZer1981 View Post
.....Would this model be a tad large for ultracote hinges?
It's perfrect for covering film hinges. I've used MonoKote hinges on quite a few 1/2A planes of similar size for years. I recommend when make the hinges all the way down the control surfaces which will also provide a sealed gap.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Sep 05, 2014, 01:51 PM
Joined Jun 2014
208 Posts
Thanks!! I used unltrcote hinges on my Lastick and love them.

I was fretting about splitting the wood trying to slot the hinges, now I have a gameplan. thanks again!
Old Sep 05, 2014, 02:08 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZer1981 View Post
Nice collection!

Assembled the wings last night. Nearly forgot a pic and had half the pins removed already.

Also rounded the corners on the tail surfaces, quite pleased how that turned out.

I have some mini nylon hinges I was going to use on the tail, but that involves slotting the control surfaces and I am just not confidant in my ability to do that and not cock it up.

Would this model be a tad large for ultracote hinges?
The wings look great! As for the hinges, Ultracote hinges would be fine or you could use these,
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXET53

They are a lot easier to install than the typical pinned hinges.
If you go with either the pinned hinges or the hinge points, make sure you rough the glue surfaces up with some sandpaper, then clean them with rubbing alcohol and put a small drop of either Vaseline in the hinge pivot to prevent any binding from the glue.

Shawn
Old Sep 05, 2014, 02:12 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,760 Posts
Here are some YouTube vids for installing hinges.
Installing Robart Pin Hinges Part 1 (8 min 18 sec)
Old Sep 06, 2014, 02:36 PM
Joined Jun 2014
208 Posts
Good hinge videos! I picked up some small ones like that and may try them

Got the tail done. Edges rounded and taped together to stare at.

Wings awaiting sheeting and sanding. Then the fun of joining them together. My board is too small so pondering how ill do it. Still need to make the end caps for the wings.

Last night I cut the body panels out. And this morning did the ply formers. Used my trusty hack saw and my palm sander. Really should look into a small jig saw, but sort of enjoy using hand tools. Also got the 1/16 ply squares for the wing mounting dowels done.

Tonight if I don't get distracted by my Xbox I'll finish the wing off and may start on the body construction. Didn't get a picture of the landing gear, but it's just bent wire at this point.
Old Sep 07, 2014, 12:06 AM
France, IdF, Lagny-sur-Marne
Joined Feb 2007
512 Posts
Nice craftmanship, good luck.
Paul_BB is offline Find More Posts by Paul_BB
Old Sep 07, 2014, 01:15 AM
Joined Jun 2014
208 Posts
Thanks!

Wing is glued and drying at dihedral now. Finished up the wing caps. Managed to slice my thumb while carving them. Didn't think it actually cut me till I saw red on the cap.

Realized I am short two blind nuts so that put a halt to the fuse construction. Just as well. The wing is taking up my entire table.

Got some line green ultracote, and am figuring out colour schemes now. Will prob do white accents. Red and green will be a bit Christmassy.

Throttle collar ordered for my engine and should see that next week. Looking forward to running it on a bench and seeing how well it works.

Tomorow I'll finish the wing, get it sheeted and maybe covered. Still need to cover the tail and get hinges sorted.