HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2014, 01:55 PM
rmar
Nebraska
Joined Nov 2010
98 Posts
Discussion
Tamiya M51 Super Sherman question

I am in the middle of my first attempt at building one of these kits. I am starting the section where it adds the parts to the outside of the bank. Looking at the extra gas cans the picture shows a bracket of some kind that holds each can. The instructions only say this is "0.3mm plastic plate (available separately)". All of the pictures that I have found of this tank , both on the instructions and on the web, show the same bracket so that is what makes me think they must be available . My question is can someone who has completed this tank tell me where to find these brackets ?
rmar is offline Find More Posts by rmar
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2014, 05:26 PM
North Plains Oregon
Joined Jul 2006
124 Posts
.3 mm

I would suggest you build the whole tank first, because the add on will brake off
when you are handling it. .3 mm is .012 thick??
I have put a Super recoil on my Sherman but have not built a Super.
Darryl
Darryl Usher is offline Find More Posts by Darryl Usher
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:27 AM
rmar
Nebraska
Joined Nov 2010
98 Posts
I don't understand

This is my first time at this so I'm sorry I don't under stand what you mean by "it will break off " !!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:29 PM
North Plains Oregon
Joined Jul 2006
124 Posts
.3 mm

You should do the assemble like the order in the manual.
Leave all the add on till your all done and have a runnable tank.
Then add on non optional stuff. Like gas cans.
Darryl
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:58 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
If you need additional help breaking through any language barrier or tank talk we could chat one evening.

Just PM me and I can help you get started or understand the lingo.

Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:57 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Feb 2008
114 Posts
On my M51 I put a small screw through the fender into the gas cans. Same for the tool boxes and spare wheels. After losing many ammo cans on my Pershing and Sherman, I know better now. Mechanical connections are a must.

Afterward, I added the styrene stock to make the gas can rack (I just glued it onto the gas can). Not too difficult, but a disappointment that Tamiya would not have included a molded rack, or at least some photo etch in the kit. But, we work with what we have.
jeff489 is offline Find More Posts by jeff489
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:11 AM
rmar
Nebraska
Joined Nov 2010
98 Posts
The reason I am working ahead is because the kit does not have the 2 gearboxes so I thought it was not a good idea to try to complete the hull assembly without them. I have contacted Banzai Hobby, where I purchased the kit, and they are working with Tamiya to get the parts - but - they have not given me a date when I might see the missing parts.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 02:42 PM
North Plains Oregon
Joined Jul 2006
124 Posts
.3 mm

It would be OK to finish the tank with out the gear box's, because when a
gear box fails you take it out and replace it.
Darryl
Old Aug 19, 2014, 04:44 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Oh, so that's Jeff's secret! I'm keeping track of all his tips in a folder.

I use screws in a high traffic areas too, as long as I know that part or item is going to stay on THAT tank forever.

Glue or cement just isn't robust enough and while building I use 5 minute epoxy to attach brush guards, light and such that screws cannot help.

Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:54 PM
rmar
Nebraska
Joined Nov 2010
98 Posts
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the information !!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 02:58 PM
Joined Apr 2010
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmar View Post
I am in the middle of my first attempt at building one of these kits. I am starting the section where it adds the parts to the outside of the bank. Looking at the extra gas cans the picture shows a bracket of some kind that holds each can. The instructions only say this is "0.3mm plastic plate (available separately)". All of the pictures that I have found of this tank , both on the instructions and on the web, show the same bracket so that is what makes me think they must be available . My question is can someone who has completed this tank tell me where to find these brackets ?
Answer: You need to scratch build the bracket parts and "0.3mm plastic plate available separately" , the phrase means you can buy plastic sheet from Tamiya or at any hobby shop .
C4ISTAR is offline Find More Posts by C4ISTAR
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:59 AM
rmar
Nebraska
Joined Nov 2010
98 Posts
Sorry but for the price of this kit that's BS that I have to "scratch build" anything !!! I've already been waiting a month to get the missing gear drives from Tamiya that should have been in this kit in the first place. Based on my first experience with Tamiya kits this will be my last experience with them !!!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 04:58 PM
Joined Apr 2010
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmar View Post
Sorry but for the price of this kit that's BS that I have to "scratch build" anything !!! I've already been waiting a month to get the missing gear drives from Tamiya that should have been in this kit in the first place. Based on my first experience with Tamiya kits this will be my last experience with them !!!
Post build photos of your kit work in progress, OK?

If you read the instructions first, it tells you that you need to fabricate these simple brackets yourself. Plus, previous experience tells me that Tamiya USA RC parts guys respond immediately, but if you bought your kit from an overseas vendor, well, best of luck.

And check out these sites:

http://www.hobbylink.tv/m51-isherman-0612

http://www.modelersite.com/Dic2012/T...M50-16_eng.htm

If you get no joy from Tamiya or your vendor on getting your gearboxes replaced under a USA warranty claim, PM me. I think I can help your build out with some unused new parts from my parts box.

I completely agree and understand your kit assessment, it is initially a disappointing kit. It is not a very accurate representative of the typical IDF tank of that time period out of the box and really not at all worthy of Tamiya's good name (though the real tank the kit is modeled upon is alleged to exist at some IDF Tank Museum). The good news is that even a new 1/16 tank rc modeler can fix all that.

The story goes that the Tamiya marketing folks over ruled the engineering folks on this kit project. Anyway, that was the claimed cover story back when the kit was first released (guessing around March 2011), and your opinions are now very old, but true, sad news.

Questions:
1. Who did you buy your kit from and was it bought new?

2. Excluding the IDF Sherman and the KV-2, I have enjoyed building all the Tamiya 1/16 rc tank kits, including converting the static Leo 1 and Gepard to f/o over the last 10 years and have yet to receive a new purchased kit missing any parts, even the smallest screw, but stuff can happen.

For a missing part, USA warranty claim, contact Tamiya America, Inc. toll free at 1-800-826-4922, that is if you bought the kit in the USA.

Or go to: http://www.tamiyausa.com/contact/

The Tamiya rc parts guys are a really good group and should help you out immediately. And maybe even help you if you bought your new kit off eBay or at a Hong Kong website.

For everyone else looking for a USA marketed kit, many have found the AAF Tank Museum is the best USA vendor with the best USA prices for buying a new Tamiya rc tank 1/16 kit:

http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/RC%20Tank%20Kits.htm

Better luck next time.
Last edited by C4ISTAR; Aug 26, 2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:13 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Feb 2008
114 Posts
Quote:
I've already been waiting a month to get the missing gear drives from Tamiya that should have been in this kit in the first place.
Is there some reason you didn't contact the company that sold you the tank regarding this? I mean, why not just return it to them? It sounds as if someone opened the box and removed the parts at some point.

When I buy a kit that's missing parts, I take it back to where I bought it and don't even mess with the manufacturer. Just wondering...
jeff489 is offline Find More Posts by jeff489
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:39 AM
Joined Apr 2010
110 Posts
The answer to just "wondering" about how to replace missing kit parts and or returning faulty kits is explained below in the 2014 Tamiya USA Warranty.

Going directly back to your USA Seller for issue resolution is evidently not part of the process, though perhaps some official Tamiya USA Sellers might take on that responsibility, but good luck with that.

In regards to USA Tamiya customers, a little Google research strongly suggests that if have bought your kit off eBay, gray market or from an official or unofficial Tamiya overseas dealer website, well your out of luck and not covered by the Tamiya USA Warranty and thus on your own.

So, it seems "rmar" is at the mercy of whether his kit seller will resolve the kit issue, if he did not purchase from a USA Tamiya official vendor.

If "rmar" out of Nebraska posts "proof of kit and build photos including todays dated newspaper in the images", I probably have all the parts he needs to finish his IDF Sherman build from my new unused parts and spares box and he can have those parts way cheap too.

And that is NO BS. Post your photos here, or as they say, stuff didn't happen. Then PM me for details and a parts list of what you"ll get.

Happy to help, John
Last edited by C4ISTAR; Aug 27, 2014 at 10:55 AM.