SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:23 PM
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Sep 2013
1,048 Posts
Discussion
Where To Buy Hollow "Nano" Carbon Tubing for F3P Builds.

I don't need the Mylar coated exotic hand made stuff. I just need a readily available supply of hollow CF tubing (7mm ish). Heck I don't even know how they size the hollow tubing.

I have been using solid CF rods, and to get the my weights way down, I need to start using the correct materials. So first order of business is to find a US source of light weight hollow CF tubing ( the tiny stuff)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. AKf
akfreak is online now Find More Posts by akfreak
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:50 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,155 Posts
CST, a HUGE composite supplier for the hobby sells that size or something close to it....I also believe A2Z in CO has them as well but not always in stock.
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gen2 Bowker CF hardware
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:52 PM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
911 Posts
Here you go sir:
www.cstsales.com

Everyone I talked to said them or Peck Polymer. I'm going to get a bunch of thin carbon from now on from cts.

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:08 AM
United States, IN, Cedar Lake
Joined Jun 2008
28 Posts
CSTsales is fantastic, I've also gotten some excellent materials from A2Z corp., but unfortunately they will soon be discontinuing their model materials

A2Z is the only people I've found domestically who carry a really thin 3mm carbon strip (3mm x 0.13mm). Their prices on light kevlar thread are very good as well.

Also, CST has most all of the carbon rod sizes in DPP and graphlite, the prices vary between them and there is a strength / weight difference. They have charts on the pages illustrating the differences.
BeyondParallax is offline Find More Posts by BeyondParallax
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:42 AM
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Sep 2013
1,048 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, I will be looking into it. I need to get a bunch of samples to see what is strong enough, but is still tiny as possible.
akfreak is online now Find More Posts by akfreak
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:24 AM
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Sep 2012
194 Posts
radical rc has .17mm carbon strip . it comes wide and you split it down to whatever thickness you need (realy eazy) it comes 10mm wide by 6 feet for 7 bux.. cheaper than a2z by a bit.
mattnat is online now Find More Posts by mattnat
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:29 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondParallax View Post
CSTsales is fantastic, I've also gotten some excellent materials from A2Z corp., but unfortunately they will soon be discontinuing their model materials

A2Z is the only people I've found domestically who carry a really thin 3mm carbon strip (3mm x 0.13mm). Their prices on light kevlar thread are very good as well.

Also, CST has most all of the carbon rod sizes in DPP and graphlite, the prices vary between them and there is a strength / weight difference. They have charts on the pages illustrating the differences.
CST sells thins flat strips but they are .111" or something.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:18 AM
Joined Jun 2008
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBowker View Post
CST sells thins flat strips but they are .111" or something.
Nice! I didn't see them last time I went through their page, will have to look a little closer. Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:49 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondParallax View Post
Nice! I didn't see them last time I went through their page, will have to look a little closer. Thanks!
they are : 0.005" x 0.110"

IMO they are a little better quality product than the stuff a2z was selling. Most of the .005 flat I purchased from a2z wasnt a full .125" either, closer to the CST advertised .110".

The Hollow tubes a2z was/is selling on the other hand are beyond top shelf, I would be surprised if a better quality product could be crafted.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2014, 07:19 PM
Joined Jun 2008
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBowker View Post
they are : 0.005" x 0.110"

IMO they are a little better quality product than the stuff a2z was selling. Most of the .005 flat I purchased from a2z wasnt a full .125" either, closer to the CST advertised .110".

The Hollow tubes a2z was/is selling on the other hand are beyond top shelf, I would be surprised if a better quality product could be crafted.

Chris
Hmmm... the 4 x 3mm x 1m hollow tube looks promising, but still seems a bit heavier than what the guys over in Europe are using; Lantsov's tubes seem to be under 2g's for 800mm, I suspect their tubes have thinner walls on them being a laminate rather than a pultrusion. But if the 7.7g per meter is accurate, it's not too huge a difference. Sucks that they're currently out of stock lol

Scott