HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:43 PM
MD
Joined Aug 2010
85 Posts
Lights

I checked all my pictures from when i worked on the A10 and they are all pretty useless as they are too far away to make out any detail. Here is a shot from a deployment to Al Jaber in 97. I think I was doing an APU run after some maintenance. You can see one of the formation strip lights below the cockpit to the right of the boarding ladder.

The second pic is a close up of a tail section we had hanging in our rec center also at Al Jaber. You can see the formation strip lighting I spoke of and there was also a blue light in the small blister just below and to the left of the strip light. Joe
Asymair95 is offline Find More Posts by Asymair95
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:49 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Lighting.

Thanks Joe,

Every bit helps. Haven't ruled out the lighting but it is not so critical either way. I need to remember a Cartoon Fatty needs to depict the parent aircraft, but come nowhere near to cloning it! LOL. Thanks so much. guessing that's you up there looking studly in the A-10 cockpit!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:54 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

This is sort of important at this point in the build. I needed to finish the wing's leading edge by sanding. You can do TLAR or the wing airfoil program (Compufoil) will print out some leading edge guide templates to help you know when you have sanded enough, and not gone too far.

I have seen posts that you can't get a true Clark "Y" airfoil building airplanes from foam sheet. Wish those guys could see me now! LOL.

Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:18 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
I have seen posts that you can't get a true Clark "Y" airfoil building airplanes from foam sheet. Wish those guys could see me now! LOL.
That's silly.

As far as I know all full size aircraft have some kind of sheeting, whether it's fabric and dope, fiber composite, or aluminum. I don't think the material or its thickness has anything to do with whether a wing has a "true" airfoil.

Probably they mean lots of people call any flat bottomed airfoil a Clark Y, while a true CY has a rise to the bottom in the forward section. But that has nothing to do with whether it is built of sheet foam. Foam sheet can bend on the bottom just as easily as on the top.

I say, if ya kin slide a template of the "true" airfoil onto the wing and it fits, wear it!
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:47 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

Vtdiy,

Pretty much exactly as you have spoken. However when it came to these 'experts' I learned a long time ago "the second you decide to argue with an ignorant person, you have already lost". So let them fail and their aircraft flounder as they limit themselves because of their own arrogance.

Got a lot of photos on setting up and checking the wing and horizontal tail incidence and such. Hard to decide what to post, what to skip. I'll just give it all since pictures are pretty anyways. I think I slacked recently on other photo opps, so maybe this will gain me some forgiveness.

Since we are formed to shape, glued and such on the fuselage, everything is now stable enough to start some cutouts for wings and control surfaces. I slit the slot to size where the horizontal stab will locate. I went all the way through in an area that allows me to slide my .020" thick, 1/2" wide Machinist scale through the airframe as a measuing and leveling guide.

The bottom of the fuse, sitting on the bench, I measured up to the scales location both sides. Parallel with the table! Nice! Since the pin holes to locate the wing template were done at the same time as the horizontal tail's pin holes, I was confident that the wing location holes will be parallel too!

So now I index the template for the wing back into said pin holes, and then trace around it with a fine point Sharpie.

Fred

Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:00 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

So now I cut out the wing area on both sides of the fuselage. You will note I stayed inside my Sharpie marks ever so slightly. The wing is straight at the LE, but a slight taper at the TE, so when we are at just over 1 1/2" out from center of the wing (on each side), the cord will be slightly smaller. This worked out good too. Also hold the fuselage so you have the bottom surface 90 degrees from your knife angle. Straight wing will travel through the sides of the fuselage straight!

A very small amount of sanding is 3 areas, all less than an inch long each, had the wing setting flush in the saddle with little to no gaps. Gotta love building sometimes. Scratch building comes out better than mass produced stuff quite often. Custom fit.

Fred

Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:04 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

I set the fuselage on the wing. I then set the wing on some blocks that are parallel to my bench. Took and measured both sides of the horizontal tail slot and they are the same. Checked incidence angles. Everything looks pretty good, and now would be the time to sand the saddle if it had needed it to get things aligned. I might be slighly less on my incidence than I wished for, but it's so close I'm not messing with success.

Fred

Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:11 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

I suggest you also walk around the aircraft during this setup and take a visual check of alignment and such, just like the good old days. Nothing beats double checking everything before it's too late.

I'd love to post more but I am exhausted from a long work day. More tomorrow!

Fred

Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:14 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,371 Posts
After looking at the last 3 pics i was wondering how / why you checked all that without any weight on the fuselage . That is untill i got to the last pic

errr your to fast it was the 3 pics before
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:22 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
After looking at the last 3 pics i was wondering how / why you checked all that without any weight on the fuselage . That is untill i got to the last pic

errr your to fast it was the 3 pics before
HA........ and I type very slow. Sorry punch drunk, tired boy.

F
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:27 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Hi Fred I've been a lurkin for a while and been meaning to say ALL RIGHT WOOHOO etc. gotta love the A10.Lookin good man,I havn't used fff yet(been on a epp kick), but I built a A10 out of 3mm+5mm cellfoam 88.That was my second build and still havn,t flown it.Everytime I see your thread up here I get to thinking of mine,and remember It took me a long time to line it up right.Glad that part is done,now I go for easier builds.Anyway here's a couple kind of fuzzy pics of mine(needs some camo still).Wish ya the best sir,Scott.
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:40 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
Freddie, starting to look great -- you really caught that slinky look of the cartoon versions, almost bent over the wing.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:40 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post

I suggest you also walk around the aircraft during this setup and take a visual check of alignment and such, just like the good old days. Nothing beats double checking everything before it's too late.

I'd love to post more but I am exhausted from a long work day. More tomorrow!

Fred

Looking at it with my old carpenter eyes Freddie i think its good also and would not touch a thing. Its amazing how i can clean my bench and two days later its a mess again ,i will move stuff out of the way only so i dont bump the plane while i am building it but wont put it away. lol joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:41 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Looking at it with my old carpenter eyes Freddie i think its good also and would not touch a thing. Its amazing how i can clean my bench and two days later its a mess again ,i will move stuff out of the way only so i dont bump the plane while i am building it but wont put it away. lol joe
Thanks Joe. You and I are brothers I guess when it comes to the workbench maintenance. And yes, sometimes FOD damages some foam so I keep lots of light weight around! Put stuff away and you just have to get up and go get it again anyway, but now you won't find it because you don't remember where you put it away at. Lay it on a bench and you will remember 2 years from now where it is! LOL

Fred
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:45 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice076 View Post
Hi Fred I've been a lurkin for a while and been meaning to say ALL RIGHT WOOHOO etc. gotta love the A10.Lookin good man,I havn't used fff yet(been on a epp kick), but I built a A10 out of 3mm+5mm cellfoam 88.That was my second build and still havn,t flown it.Everytime I see your thread up here I get to thinking of mine,and remember It took me a long time to line it up right.Glad that part is done,now I go for easier builds.Anyway here's a couple kind of fuzzy pics of mine(needs some camo still).Wish ya the best sir,Scott.
Scott,

Thank you for sharing, looks great and I hope you get to fly yours soon. Looks great for a second build IMHO. Cellfoam 88 isn't the friendliest at 5mm . And I agree building twin motors, twin vertical fins, or anything twin is twice the work, much more time, but soooooooo.... worth the final result. Nothing sounds cooler than a twin. Twins seem to possess more than double the power too. I love them.

Fred