SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 02, 2012, 06:05 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined Sep 2003
180 Posts
Hi all,

Just talk with Nikolay (NAN) about new different fuselage rumours.
Sorry but there is not mentioned by Larry new tail fuselage project.
Nikolay was very curious about this ideas, but still not think to do supra or different by present style fuselage.
About floating potential of X2 wing - I manage to make better times than X1 on same dead air.

Windy weather in Dupnitsa show that every competitor must have at least 1 heavy and strong model (2,2 kg without ballast) to manage his time in this conditions.
Sotir is offline Find More Posts by Sotir
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 10:54 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotir View Post
Hi all,

Just talk with Nikolay (NAN) about new different fuselage rumours.
Sorry but there is not mentioned by Larry new tail fuselage project.
Nikolay was very curious about this ideas, but still not think to do supra or different by present style fuselage.
About floating potential of X2 wing - I manage to make better times than X1 on same dead air.

Windy weather in Dupnitsa show that every competitor must have at least 1 heavy and strong model (2,2 kg without ballast) to manage his time in this conditions.
Sotir, thank you for the clarification -

Some questions about your dead air tuning. I have only got one weekend on my X2 (3.5) and I already noticed thatt he camber setup for dead air is much more critical (more effective) than the old wing. Are you tuning more than 2 mm of camber for dead air?

Also have you experimented with the ideal reflex measurements? I have 4 mm right now, im getting big launches but dont have a logger with me yet (on order) so I thought i would ask.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old May 02, 2012, 11:21 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined Sep 2003
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
Sotir, thank you for the clarification -

Some questions about your dead air tuning. I have only got one weekend on my X2 (3.5) and I already noticed thatt he camber setup for dead air is much more critical (more effective) than the old wing. Are you tuning more than 2 mm of camber for dead air?

Also have you experimented with the ideal reflex measurements? I have 4 mm right now, im getting big launches but dont have a logger with me yet (on order) so I thought i would ask.
floating - 2-2,5 mm down
reflex 2 mm up
Sotir is offline Find More Posts by Sotir
Old May 02, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotir View Post
floating - 2-2,5 mm down
reflex 2 mm up
Perfect sir thanks ill give it a try and compare!
Old May 03, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,095 Posts
Took the X2 for a spin in very rough but active air. Exactly the kind of conditions I would want the X2 in. Short launch - find the lif and spec out kind of stuff.

I never really managed anything aside from half height launches and then had to "skoot" to get to the lift. The X2 proved to be more than able to move through the sink and get me back home from some fairly low alt scenarios. I did manage to get caught in unexpected chunks of sink here and there but all I needed to do was hit reflex and push it home.

I really like how the 3.5 signals and handles low lift. at 59 oz this plane is quite stable and predictable in low lift. Up into stronger lift it was apparent that this light weight certainly required a little more attention to keep from getting pushed around in the thermal but at that point I was going up so fast I was not really worried about it.

I only flew for a little over an hour and then the rain started in earnest so I packed up and went home.

Tomorrow looks like a decent day for more testing. Willf ly ballasted with brass and maybe 880 gr of tungsten to see how it handles that.
Old May 03, 2012, 10:49 PM
Sydney
Joined Mar 2005
80 Posts
more on weights

Had the pleasure of unwrapping my new 3.8 X2's today, heres some dry weight figures. Both are 3.8 ST layups, one red, one in white/red:

Red
Ele 53g
LA 247g
RA 250g
CP 537g
Fuz 333g
Joiners 42g
Total: 1462grams

White
Ele 54g
LA 242g
RA 244g
CP 527g
Fuz 315g
Joiners 42g
Total: 1424grams

Thanks Team SUSA, cant wait to get these done
Lowey is offline Find More Posts by Lowey
Old May 04, 2012, 01:41 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,977 Posts
Update on my X2 3.8:

Final weight is 66 oz. This one does not have the super light stabs, and so had to add more nose weight to achieve balance. Still, this is 6 oz less than my standard 3.8, which I use for floating. This is a significant loss of weight in my book. Not quite done with the detailing, but it should fly this weekend.

Mike
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old May 04, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Jul 2007
3,095 Posts
thats pretty lite on the tips - my x2 tips dry were 230/231 gr - that would bring a 3.8 with to 61-2 oz if you build lite (or use my 45gr elevator). an extra 8 gr on the tail is significant.

What servos were you using?

I expect to have my SL's in "soon" a 3.5 and a 3.8
Last edited by webbsolution; May 04, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old May 04, 2012, 01:54 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,202 Posts
Saw this plane fly last weekend being hand launched by Tom K. and really liked the performance. Had legs and it slowed down nicely.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old May 04, 2012, 08:45 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,719 Posts
Picked up a 3.5 today, not going to bother with scales yet, only when it's all done. Feels light, quality is awesome.

I was all excited to get it home and drool on it, but in the end it looks just like my old 3.5 in every way, even the colors. I'm still excited to be back flying an Xplorer after being away from them for a year or so. I'm going to put 809's everywhere with one 761 on the stabs.
ak79 is online now Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Last edited by ak79; May 04, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old May 04, 2012, 10:34 PM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
489 Posts
X2

SUSA Claus came by today and dropped a X2. My first impressions are that it is light, and the fit and finish is better than I have seen from NAN. I have always been impressed by NAN models but it is apparent that they gave more attention to detail on this new model.

The new section is interesting, much thicker aft of the high point and flatter. Cant wait to get this model flying!!
This airplane is beautiful. Thanks Soaring USA!
Jody
sailjester2811 is offline Find More Posts by sailjester2811
Old May 04, 2012, 10:43 PM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,145 Posts
Hi Jody,

Nice ship; bright orange works for me.
Thanks for the foil profile.

Chris.
DrFragnasty is online now Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Old May 04, 2012, 11:31 PM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
489 Posts
No worries Chris. Take this with a grain of salt. It was done quick and with no real care.
Just wanted to see the two sections next to each other. I eye balled the measurements with a ruler and my Opti visor.
Stay tuned, more to come. Busy building!
Jody
sailjester2811 is offline Find More Posts by sailjester2811
Old May 04, 2012, 11:54 PM
Sydney
Joined Mar 2005
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
thats pretty lite on the tips - my x2 tips dry were 230/231 gr - that would bring a 3.8 with to 61-2 oz if you build lite (or use my 45gr elevator). an extra 8 gr on the tail is significant.

What servos were you using?

I expect to have my SL's in "soon" a 3.5 and a 3.8
Going with MKS servo's alround, 9300 receiver and LiFe upfront.
6125 Mini's on the ailerons, 6125 standards on the flaps, H's in the fuzz.

When they come out of Nan at these great dry weights, Im not as concerned about building lite. Here in Aus particularly we need to build to the conditions.
Lowey is offline Find More Posts by Lowey
Old May 05, 2012, 03:43 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjester2811 View Post
The new section is interesting, much thicker aft of the high point and flatter. Cant wait to get this model flying!!
This airplane is beautiful. Thanks Soaring USA!
Jody
Thanks for the pictures Jody. From first look I would say Xp2 airfoil is close to Aspire airfoil. It would be interesting to see comparison if anybody has the two planes at hand.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo