SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:34 AM
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Mar 2011
288 Posts
Discussion
How reliable are small Hacker ESC's (X-7 Pro)?

I got recommended power pack from 3DHS for an EPP Extra including Hacker A10-9L, X-7 Pro, GWS 8x4.3 prop. I don't have connectors to power test it, but that matches all Hacker recommendations. Using (1) HS-65HB, (2) HS-45HB w/2S TP 480 or Gens Ace 450 (AUW 7.1 oz).

It always did burp or grunt throttling up like it didn't know which way to go at first. After maybe a dozen flights the motor started cutting out completely intermittantly (servos still worked, so elevator landing no problem). Gradually got worse to where tones were intermittant when powering up and when it did work, it would barely get off the ground before it motor cut out.

New motor made no difference. I also got Hacker USB cable and settings all looked normal.

Moving the motor wires seemed to affect it, so I cut heat shrink off of X-7, but all I could spot was that maybe small heat sink on back might have been touching transistor leads. Bench tested with it loose through 2 full batteries without issue. But after I Welder's glued it back on and tried flight test no motor tones, rudder wagged like fish tail, ailerons barely moved, and only the elevator worked. I suppose since I hacked the heat shrink off I cannot get a warranty replacement.

Replaced X-7 Pro with E-Flite 10A Pro and that works great through several flights of all my batteries. All I had to change on it was its 3S default to 2S. Seems to throttle up better too without burping.

I have an X-55 Pro on my 47 SHP w/Omega 103g @ 42A max, and that has always worked great.
efflandt is offline Find More Posts by efflandt
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:04 AM
USA, IL, Decatur
Joined Sep 2010
108 Posts
I have the same setup with the exact same plane. I have had 2 of the x-7 pro's fail the same way. On both units it turned out to be the solder joints on the X-7 itself. Aero covered the first one under warranty and I just resoldered the other myself. Mine would fly for about 2 min and then seem to draw enough current to triger the battery low motor shutoff feature in the ESC.
shutternut is offline Find More Posts by shutternut
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:47 AM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,071 Posts
I have a new X7 that is doing the same thing. Does Hacker have a US distributorship that will take care of these warranty issues?
This is my first Hacker product and so far, I'm not happy
blunight is online now Find More Posts by blunight
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,071 Posts
I found it: Here is the web page to request a repair...Spoke to someone on the phone and so far, the customer service is great. By the way, he said it could be a motor wire issue as well and wants both the motor (A10 9L) and X7 sent in.

http://www.aero-model.com/RepairForm.aspx
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:11 PM
USA, IL, Decatur
Joined Sep 2010
108 Posts
they were nice but they had it for 2 weeks before they made the repair which I thought was long for a warranty repair.
shutternut is offline Find More Posts by shutternut
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:31 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutternut View Post
I have the same setup with the exact same plane. I have had 2 of the x-7 pro's fail the same way. On both units it turned out to be the solder joints on the X-7 itself. Aero covered the first one under warranty and I just resoldered the other myself. Mine would fly for about 2 min and then seem to draw enough current to triger the battery low motor shutoff feature in the ESC.
Which joints did you resolder?

3+ weeks without one of my indoor planes doesnt sound like the best way to start off the indoor season. I have the ESC and motor removed from the airframe and was going to send them in Monday but if you have an easy fix....