HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:46 PM
United States, NV
Joined Jul 2004
163 Posts
Discussion
So What Else Would I need?

I've been flying Electric helis for a while, and have been thinking about taking it up a notch to a larger Electric Heli, Been looking at the Align T-Rex 600 ESP, After looking at the Heli Website for a while http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=8971 From what I see, I think the only thing needed to complete the kit to fly, is a radio system and a Lipo Battery. Am I missing Something....?, Im not looking for any upgrades on this heli, keeping it stock for now.
flyingfish56 is offline Find More Posts by flyingfish56
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:14 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Well, and a suitable charger.

You might want to consider a better BEC, and maybe ESC as well, not so much as upgrades, more as insurance (seeing as it is not hard to get more reliable electronics than Align).
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:25 AM
United States, NV
Joined Jul 2004
163 Posts
Any Recommendations for the following;

Radio:
LIPO:
ESC:
BEC:
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:50 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,593 Posts
Don't forget the gyro too.
usually the ESC's BEC doesn't work with more than 3 cells, so you need a UBEC too.
Futaba 6 channel heli or Futaba 7 channel heli, both are 2.4ghz with the FAAST system.
You probably want a really good tail rotor servo, extra fast. The ultimate is the Futaba GY401 gyro and digital servo combo.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:07 PM
United States, NV
Joined Jul 2004
163 Posts
WOW, Your right !!!! I forgot all about the Gyro.
I like the GY401, I have them on my other 2 helis.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 01:04 PM
High speed bug smasher
Bradenton, FL
Joined Jan 2007
475 Posts
I will say that the GY611 takes it up another notch on 600-class helis; but there are some other brands to consider as well. Decide on whether you want to run the receiver on a flight pack (included) or run it from the main battery. There are threads debating the merits of each. If you decide to run it from the main pack, you will need a UBEC as earlwb points out.

I cannot speak from experience, but just as a caution, many here say that the TR600 is a pack-eater on 6s. I would strongly consider 8s.
heli_addict is offline Find More Posts by heli_addict
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:18 PM
I need more ceiling!!!
Okinawa, Japan
Joined May 2006
2,206 Posts
First of all, the Align ESC is fine and works really well. I have the 75A version on all my larger helis and it works really great. But, be aware that it is a 6s ESC so, if you do decide to go with a higher cell count, you will need a HV capable ESC.

Secondly, you won't be using the ESC's BEC, there is an included stand alone external BEC and 1900 mah battery to power it. I have used one of those BEC's for years and it also work just dandy and is ultra reliable. There's no need to get a UBEC, the included unit works fine.

I'm not sure what Andrew meant about 'more reliable electronics than Align'... perhaps he can elaborate. I haven't had any problem with any Align BEC' or ESC's that I've owned. And, I don't know anyone that has had problems with the same. Not trying to step on anyone's toes or start a p*ssing contest, just stating my experience.

Thirdly, what kind of flying do you do? If you are doing FFF with some flips, rolls and loops then yeah; the stock 6s set up will do you fine. As will a GY401. If you are more into hard punching, collective bogging 3d type maneuvers then the Rex will indeed chomp all your 6s packs and you might need a better gyro. I can't really answer that question because I'm not a 3d'er and the 401 easily keeps up with my limited piloting skills.

Lastly, why are you posting this question in the first place? The link you provided shows what's included with kit and lists recommended setups for sport and 3d flying. Their recommendations are pretty good. Are you just bored? Just curious about that.
sting35 is offline Find More Posts by sting35
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:24 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
I've seen lots of Align ESCs fail in varied in interesting ways (not all of them mine), so I treat them with a fair bit of suspicion... but then I have no experience with the bigger ones for the 500 and 600, so I can't really comment on those. So, your direct experience counts for more here than anything to do with the little ones.

A switching BEC would let you remove the included one AND the RX battery, so it would save some weight. But again, it really depends what kind of flying you do if that matters; weight can be your friend sometimes.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:10 AM
United States, NV
Joined Jul 2004
163 Posts
Lastly, why are you posting this question in the first place? The link you provided shows what's included with kit and lists recommended setups for sport and 3d flying. Their recommendations are pretty good. Are you just bored? Just curious about that.

No Sting, Im not bored, Just looking to make sure I didnt miss anything, and I was looking for some opinions on the included stock equipment. (sometimes included items look attractive, but can be junk, I never purchased anything from Align before, I dont know) Besides, you yourself brought out a good point about needing to upgading the ESC if I want a higher cell count on my lipo. I didn't realize that! Its Discussions and opinions on this forum that make one think or think twice, about what they need before buying the wrong equipment. These items are not cheap, we dont need to be buying the wrong equipment, I like to do a little research and get others opinions before I spend the money! I would not call that being bored. And in answer to your question, I dont do any 3D flying at all, like you, Im not a 3d'er!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 04:53 AM
I need more ceiling!!!
Okinawa, Japan
Joined May 2006
2,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McGregor
I've seen lots of Align ESCs fail in varied in interesting ways (not all of them mine), so I treat them with a fair bit of suspicion... but then I have no experience with the bigger ones for the 500 and 600, so I can't really comment on those. So, your direct experience counts for more here than anything to do with the little ones.

A switching BEC would let you remove the included one AND the RX battery, so it would save some weight. But again, it really depends what kind of flying you do if that matters; weight can be your friend sometimes.
Ah, ok... thanks for the update. I've only one smaller Align ESC that came with my Trex 450SE (version1). It has performed flawlessly for me. I realize that's an extremely small data point and I'll keep an eye on it. And just so everyone knows, I'm not an Align fanboy pushing my fav company on everyone else. The 450SE is the only Align heli I own. Most of my helis are E-sky and Century.

As far as the switching BEC goes, I use them on all my planes larger than foamy parkflyers. For the larger helis though, I prefer to have a seperate BEC and rx battery. I have had lipos give out in flight (not on a heli so far) so I prefer to have the added safety of a separate rx power source. The thought of having 500-700mm CF spinning at ~2000 rpms go unguided SCARES me!

I understand Flyingfish... wasn't trying to imply you were a dummy or anything. Was just wondering if you had read all the way to the bottom. FWIW, helifreak has a lot more action on the T-Rex 600. They don't seem to be as popular here on RCG. Not sure why.
sting35 is offline Find More Posts by sting35
Last edited by sting35; Feb 19, 2009 at 05:38 AM.