New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2015, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by bh1989
United States, IL, Oswego
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
Discussion
90mm EDF Setup questions

Alright guys I have purchased a 90mm Bae Hawk from a fellow member on this site and I should receive it tomorrow. I have built and flown quite a few EDF jets in the past. My most recent on being a Habu 32 on 6s and then I upgraded to 8s. Anyway, the sale included retracts and a few servos which I am framiliar with. But it came with a DR.madthrust alloy fan. here is a Link for the fan..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Rotating_.html

my plan is to run it on 6s, possibly 7s but 8s will be too much RPM. It came with a HobbyKing ESC but I'm going to set that aside and use a castle creations ESC I have for it.

my questions are

has anyone ever used one of these before?
if so, how was it?
is it worth keeping or should i sell it and go with something more well known?
I am tempted to try the fan in the plane, but once again I have never used one of these before.

thanks for your help!
Bobby
bh1989 is offline Find More Posts by bh1989
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2015, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by bandetlol
United States, TX, Irving
Joined Mar 2015
915 Posts
I have one in my taft cobra, works fine. There are options out there that will get better performance, but price is a factor. You can get more performance with another unit, but you will also spend more too.

Also these units are notoriously heavy. You just need to keep that in mind when determining what works best for you. The Mercury Alloy 90mm 6s unit is more than 250g lighter than the Dr. Madthrust EDF unit.
bandetlol is offline Find More Posts by bandetlol
Old Dec 11, 2015, 03:03 PM
Find More Posts by efflux RC
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
10,392 Posts
Do a search on here (RCG) regarding your fan They are known for having loose or stripped stator mounting holes, so check yours out.
The Jetfan 90 is a quality EDF. The carbon fiber housing is very light.
For 8s, the most common setup is the JF90 with the HET 700-68-1500 motor, with a good 100Amp ESC (Castle, hobbywing Plat Pro,)
The set up is 3.8kg thrust at 90A (on the bench). About 100A installed in the jet.
This set up is flying most of the popular 90mm jets out there. It's middle of the road, price wise.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Dec 11, 2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: correction
Old Dec 11, 2015, 04:32 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
8,052 Posts
The JF90 with the HET 700-68-1500 motor on 8s, is what I'm putting in my
FLY FLY F-86 Sabre.

A great combo!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Dec 11, 2015, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
5,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bh1989 View Post
Alright guys I have purchased a 90mm Bae Hawk from a fellow member on this site and I should receive it tomorrow. I have built and flown quite a few EDF jets in the past. My most recent on being a Habu 32 on 6s and then I upgraded to 8s. Anyway, the sale included retracts and a few servos which I am framiliar with. But it came with a DR.madthrust alloy fan. here is a Link for the fan..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Rotating_.html
my plan is to run it on 6s, possibly 7s but 8s will be too much RPM. It came with a HobbyKing ESC but I'm going to set that aside and use a castle creations ESC I have for it.

my questions are

has anyone ever used one of these before?
if so, how was it?
is it worth keeping or should i sell it and go with something more well known?
I am tempted to try the fan in the plane, but once again I have never used one of these before.

thanks for your help!
Bobby
I would only run this on 6s as it will already draw over 100amps with a full battery.
Run a couple packs through it first on the ground and if it hangs together that long it should be fine. Dr Lander fans can be great or they can be ??? Depending on how they were assembled.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes