HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:11 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
I added carbon strips on the trailing edge and a tube that joins the two main spars. They don't line up with each other exactly because of sweep, so I had to get a long drill bit in there to remove some foam. The tube I added slips over the one molded in.

It weighs 13.6oz with a 4xAA pack. It can carry BB's in the compartment in the bottom of the fuse. I blocked it off and tested it before I glued the fuse together. It carries 14oz.

I took it out to a small hill yesterday and threw it a few times. There wasn't any slope lift to speak of, but I was able to thermal it a little. I think it flies very well actually. Nice job Ming
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Last edited by Steve C; Jul 29, 2014 at 10:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:13 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
I just started working on the second one. There's some difference in the wings that must be caused by the foam shrinking after it comes out of the mold. The first one had some up and down curves and this one is curved front to back quite a bit. I'm not sure the carbon strip will work on this one since it doesn't bent that way. Might switch to a rod.

Steve C
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:52 AM
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,112 Posts
Got mine on the build table last night.

Mostly a lot of dry fitting to see how it goes together. The instructions are pretty simplified for a stock build but could be in more detail.

My servos of choice are EMAX ES08MAII 12g/ 1.8kg Mini Metal Gear High-Speed 9g Servo and fit the wing pockets perfectly though they stick out a bit. Not cutting them in flush except on the rudder. That one also fits well.
I added carbon ribbon spars into the wingtips from the tip to just a little ways past the embedded wing spar. Probably a 7 inch section of CF that I CA'd in. Then the wings are getting laminated with 5 mil clear to make then super stiff and slick. Got that halfway done last night and laminated the elevator. VERY STIFF now.

Installed the wing and canopy magnets but will add velcro to the canopy after seeing Jimbo's Fox video eject the canopy over an ocean cliff on his maiden flight last week. Hope to finish mine this week and launch it by the weekend.
Steve 0 is offline Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:40 AM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,112 Posts
Well....it took a bit longer to finish up my Fox...and it's still not done. No Color, yet.

But I maidened it yesterday. What a pleasant surprise. I was expecting a bit of a "tip stall rodeo". Didn't happen. It flew right out of my hand.

There was a decent breeze and plenty of gustiness...maybe too much for a maiden, but I figured...what the heck? and went for it.

My biggest "Ooops! " moment was that I immediately realized I had forgotten to dial in any Expo.......Yaaaaagghhh!!! any input more than a breath of stick movement resulted in a very twitchy and uber-responsive Fox.

Still I flew it for 3 minutes with my phone recording the mayhem. After a few circuits on the slope and getting a feel for it, I brought it around behind me to land.

I did dial in spoilers so my throttle stick is held in the up position with a #64 rubber band to pull down on landing to activate the spoilers. Slowed the Fox down for a smooth easy landing. Whew! No crashy on the maiden.

Dialed in 60 percent Expo on the ailerons and about 50 on the elevator. Left the rudder at 100 %.
The other main mod I did which made my Fox roll and turn instantly was to lengthen my ailerons to nearly full width of the wing. Basically, twice the original length same width front to back. I just cut an extended v-groove towards the fuselage, hinged it and laminated it with 5 mil.

My wings and elevator got the full 5 mil lam treatment and are STIFF. No flexing in flight.

Just to get the plane up in the air, I had only taped the fuse together with blue painters tape so that is what shows in the video and as soon as it's done processing, I'll post it.

This looks to be fun plane for the money and I plan on getting the color on it this weekend then put bunches of hours on it at the slopes.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 07:31 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
Hey, glad you had success!

I also had a chance to fly mine on a real slope and it was great. 15 mph was okay, but any more and I think I'd want to throw some weight in it. Mine has stock size ailerons and it rolls fast enough for me. Putting them up works fantastic for landing control. It's pretty easy to put it down where I want.

I shimmed the canopy magnets so they're touching, or at least very close because the holes for them are way too deep. I don't think it will fall off this way.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 08:54 PM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,112 Posts
I put some orange zagi tape chevrons on top and wide blue bars under the wing. Looks good in the air. Flew it hard late this week and put it through some tight turns at low speed to get a feel for the tip stalls. Yep! they sure do happen

Did one down the slope front side loop and the recovery was too slow.....it came up inverted and slowly came back upright to PLOP! Belly flop right next to me. No damage. Mine is taped with clear on the fuse all over and very stiff. I think it came out AUW around 430 grms.

Very smooth flyer.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:14 PM
gonzalo contreras
caracas
Joined Feb 2007
482 Posts
my scratch version...c

not epp, fiberglass and composites,,,
gonzalo contrera is offline Find More Posts by gonzalo contrera
Old Aug 21, 2014, 04:42 PM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,112 Posts
and mine at the latest color stage.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 01:36 PM
fun 'n fly
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2012
114 Posts
Slightly modified FOX

Hi

I've just finished my Fox.

Compared to my other fox I use now for approx. 6 years, this one was tuned a little bit.

The fuselage is filled with Carbon Rowing, the rudders are replaced by Balsawood with a Carbonrowing inthere, the wings are stiffed by 2m Carbonrowing per wing, with an additional carbonrod going into the carbonetubes which are already putted into the wing.

I added a Brushless to fly even in more difficult places which are very common here.

Now, with all these modifications, a brushless-setup (2830 brushless with 20amps ESC, 10*6 carbon prop and spinner, 2S 1000-2000mah, it weights 800gr ~

Now, I just need time to fly that baby.

Here some pictures. Fotos of the baby in flight will follow.

Regards
volsanslimit is offline Find More Posts by volsanslimit
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2014, 05:25 PM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,690 Posts
Flying my Fox, few years ago.

RC. Windrider Fox. Lowflying, too low. (1 min 13 sec)

Cheers
Soren
SpeedsterDEN is online now Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Nov 08, 2014, 10:42 AM
fun 'n fly
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2012
114 Posts
It flies

Hi

My baby flies.

Here's a clip. Sorry about the quality, my laptop doesn't let me doing high quality videos:
Windrider Fox EP slightly modified, flying in Zermatt by a Gopro (4 min 3 sec)

and some pics.

best regards
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2014, 01:32 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,721 Posts
Volsanslimit

I upload your photo to Windrider facebook
https://www.facebook.com/windriderrsb

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 08, 2014, 05:01 PM
Always in the Glue
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Oct 2003
161 Posts
I posted the maiden video of my Fox over in the scale sailplane forum a few days ago, in case you missed it there and are interested in the Fox here is the link to check out...

Fox Maiden (3 min 34 sec)

Flies nice.
Bob.
B.Welwood is offline Find More Posts by B.Welwood
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What Happened to Summer?
Old Nov 09, 2014, 04:56 AM
fun 'n fly
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2012
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming View Post
Volsanslimit

I upload your photo to Windrider facebook
https://www.facebook.com/windriderrsb

Ming Lou
Awesome

Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2014, 05:58 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,721 Posts
Thanks for your support to Windrider.
Fox is a 7 years old item but still sellable, you turn it to became a classical RC glider not Windrider.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor