HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 27, 2014, 08:51 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
542 Posts
No buddy box

Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
I think I got the cog somewhere close since she did glide nicely when the power was shut down.
I have reduced the aileron throw to a miniscule amount now and lots more expo so hope this helps.
A buddy box ? will this work with no buddies?
I have the same problem. I've been flying alone (99.9% of the time) since I started two years ago. Thus, my motto was fly, crash, fix, fly. With practice, however, it gets better. Now, its fly, fly, fly, fly, crash, fix, fly, fly, fly, fly.

Next time, try for a really calm day and be sure the cog and trim look good before taking off. I bet you'll surprise yourself.

I wish I lived close enough to help.

Tom
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2014, 09:37 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulligan View Post
I have the same problem. I've been flying alone (99.9% of the time) since I started two years ago. Thus, my motto was fly, crash, fix, fly. With practice, however, it gets better. Now, its fly, fly, fly, fly, crash, fix, fly, fly, fly, fly.

Next time, try for a really calm day and be sure the cog and trim look good before taking off. I bet you'll surprise yourself.

I wish I lived close enough to help.

Tom
Cheers Tom, I'm a real impatient bloke, I'm the same with sailing.
I know I shouldn't go when the winds bending the trees double, then a little devil says it- lets go
I'll try and do as you say- promise
Shame you're not nearer!
drambuidhe is online now Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM
25+ years of RC flying
BigIron357's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,548 Posts
Okay, how do you guys balance this plane?

I"ve been flying RC for several decades and have always just used my thumbs at the CG without issue; low wings, high wings, whatever.

But this Skipper has been difficult for me to balance on my thumb tips. I don't have a CG machine. Never needed one before.

Suggestions?
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM
25+ years of RC flying
BigIron357's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,548 Posts
Can't go flying yet today so I gave the "all terrain plane" a test drive in the backyard.

Hobbyking Skipper (0 min 14 sec)
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357 View Post
Okay, how do you guys balance this plane?

I"ve been flying RC for several decades and have always just used my thumbs at the CG without issue; low wings, high wings, whatever.

But this Skipper has been difficult for me to balance on my thumb tips. I don't have a CG machine. Never needed one before.

Suggestions?
I start by carefully reading about and then marking the suggested COG. I then use my two index finger tips to see if the plane balances. If if does not balance, I move around anything that can be moved (eg, battery and ESC). If all else fails, I change the battery size or add weight.

I hope this helps.
Tom
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Sopwith Mike's Avatar
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulligan View Post
I start by carefully reading about and then marking the suggested COG. I then use my two index finger tips to see if the plane balances. If if does not balance, I move around anything that can be moved (eg, battery and ESC). If all else fails, I change the battery size or add weight.

I hope this helps.
Tom
I marked the balance point on the wing LEs after carefully measuring the position. Then just balance with your finger-tips.

There seems to be a lot of discussion over where it actually should be but I would suggest you start with the step itself or just in front, no further back, until you are happy with the flying characteristics.

Best of luck!
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM
25+ years of RC flying
BigIron357's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,548 Posts
I have the CG clearly marked with striping tape at 10mm behind the step. Where to put the CG isn't the question.

The question is how to hold the plane. The curvy underside of the Skipper near the fuse centerline is tough for me to hold.

I'll try marking the CG on the LE of the wings and try that method.
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM
Registered User
HeliWobbles's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Somerville
Joined Apr 2013
207 Posts
Balancers for the practical flyer.
Take one piece of wood, a drill, two pencils, chop and gently simmer...
Oops, put the pencils in the holes with the erasors up.
Hey, I might be a tight-arse but at least Im stingey!
Simple suits me.

A far ar the sailing goes- if in doubt go flat out, what could possibly go wrong?
Ted
HeliWobbles is offline Find More Posts by HeliWobbles
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:36 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
BJ64's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357 View Post
...The question is how to hold the plane. The curvy underside of the Skipper near the fuse centerline is tough for me to hold...
I just use my middle ("social") fingers about midway along the wings. I also used a pair of those 'dressmaker' pins - the ones with the lil round plastic balls on the end. I cut them short enough so they don't poke out through the other side of the wing, then CA'd them into position on the CG spots - equidistant from each side of the fewz, about halfway between the wing edge and fuselage.

Gives you a little pair of balls to balance on your fingers...

BJ

PS - a pair of icecream sticks held in a vice makes a nice, cheap balancer too...
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:24 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
I just use my middle ("social") fingers about midway along the wings. I also used a pair of those 'dressmaker' pins - the ones with the lil round plastic balls on the end. I cut them short enough so they don't poke out through the other side of the wing, then CA'd them into position on the CG spots - equidistant from each side of the fewz, about halfway between the wing edge and fuselage.

Gives you a little pair of balls to balance on your fingers...

BJ

PS - a pair of icecream sticks held in a vice makes a nice, cheap balancer too...
Whats the measurement to your balls/ g-spot?
drambuidhe is online now Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Can anyone Help Me out? Hobby King Fiasco Demon 6 HobbyKing 55 Jan 12, 2013 08:19 PM
Sold Hobby King Multi-battery charging adapter for UMX-type batteries K_B Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 1 Jan 03, 2013 08:02 AM
Alert hobby king make magic hobby king just wash their dirty hand presa1200 HobbyKing 71 Jul 21, 2011 09:45 AM
For Sale orange rx from hobby king and orange satilite from hobby king ZEROSKIN76 Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 8 Mar 15, 2011 02:41 PM
Sold orange rx from hobby king and orange satilite from hobby king ZEROSKIN76 Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 4 Feb 21, 2011 01:06 PM