HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:53 AM
Joined Jun 2008
12 Posts
Discussion
Piper PA-18 Super Cub/2

Dear all,

After a long time thinking about it and after several peruasions, I finally decided to publish my project. I started it almost a year ago, but I haven't really given it much of my spare time. Therefore and due to the fact, that in the beginning it was just »a paper project«, I waited so long to finally make it public.
Here's a short description of what I'm working on: Piper PA-18 Super Cub, scale 1:2, wing profil NACA2412, CAD SolidWorks2013.
The main goal of my project is to build as much as possible a scale model of Piper. In order to achieve this, several mold tools for various covers, cowling, wheels, cockpit, lights, windows, control rod, etc., will have to be produced.
There is more to come about my progress in future articles, which will be based mainly on pictures. By all means, I'm opened for any assistance, instructions and also criticisms, but most of all I'm hoping on a development of a constructive discussion about my work.
MihaJn is offline Find More Posts by MihaJn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:18 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
subscribed
NOI53Y is offline Find More Posts by NOI53Y
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:12 AM
Joined Jun 2008
12 Posts
A few render before a wooden model
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:35 AM
Joined Jun 2008
12 Posts
Fuselage and tail are RTC.
I continue with making the molds for reare wheel holder,
wheels...
Old Jul 28, 2014, 02:07 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
779 Posts
Very nice work.

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:13 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Wowsers. That's huge. Looks good.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:52 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,598 Posts
Wow, cool subject!

I built a 50% Christen Eagle a couple years ago. I really like "big", but hated that particular kit experience. IMHO, a $1700.00 dollar piece of trash. A new Eagle is in the works using actual Christen drawings and several examples, at various stages of completion, for reference.

Couldn't help but notice you said, "The main goal of my project is to build as much as possible a scale model of Piper."

Please don't think I'm being too critical, but the NACA 2412 airfoil you indicated is not scale to rag-wing Pipers. I have worked on a few full size Super Cubs, J-3's, TriPacer, etc. and am quite familiar with USA 35B. Any reason for the switch?

http://aerospace.illinois.edu/m-seli...s/naca2412.gif

http://aerospace.illinois.edu/m-seli...ots/usa35b.gif

BTW- just for comparison I've included Taylorcraft airfoil. CG taylor designed both Cub and Taylorcraft wings. The latter to compete directly against his former product and partner, Bill Piper's Cub.

http://aerospace.illinois.edu/m-seli.../naca23012.gif
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jul 31, 2014, 07:08 AM
Joined Jun 2008
12 Posts
Hi,

I apprecciate your given answer and opinion. First of all I must say you're not the only one, asking me about the wings profile. The thruth is I also hesitated about it myself. The main reason I finally decided for the chosen profile is the speed of the model. Regarding the fact that it will be mainly used for aero tow, I couldn't use, for example Clark Y, because the model would be too slow...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:46 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,598 Posts
Interesting idea but I would bet there is no HUGE difference in high speed performance due to airfoil change. Aero tow probably has more to do with engine power than airframe design. The airfoil could have HUGe impact on handling, however.

In any event, i'm excited about your model! Can we expect 1/2 scale sailplanes and gliders to be towed??!!
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Sep 21, 2014, 03:14 PM
Joined Jun 2008
12 Posts
I'm doing this project with every intention of building a model, which would be able to tow 1⁄2 sailplanes and gliders, but for now we will just have to wait and see ...

It's been quite a while since I've published my last article, but that doesn't mean I stopped working on my project. During this time I have designed some tools for producing wheel rim and also made some of them, and at the moment I'm working on moulds for lights and plan to continue with moulds for tires ...

Regarding the wood, here are some pictures ...
Old Oct 05, 2014, 05:02 PM
Joined Jun 2008
12 Posts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 10:37 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
That's a massive wing and only half of it hahaha.

Looking good.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 08:56 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,399 Posts
There's a 50% Cub locally, that has a 150 cc twin on it..Even at 85 pounds, there is no lack of power or speed...The engine is never at full throttle for scale flight, nor on the up line of a loop...

The wing loading is ridiculously low, and so is the stall speed...Tail wheel first landings are the norm..

I can't seem to find my photos of it, but Googling the Piper Factory annual flyin will provide some results, I think.

I'll be back with a link..
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: "Bucket lists"
Old Oct 09, 2014, 08:22 AM
Joined Jun 2008
12 Posts
That's great, it is nice to hear such encouraging news