HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2001, 08:02 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
GWS Tiger Moth - Anybody Detailing theirs?

Just unpacked my GWS Tiger Moth, I noticed a couple areas where some detailing would be nice. I was thinking of some black monokote trim to detail the two cockpit openings. Also, How about some instrument panel cluster decals? Anybody know where I can get some small scale pictures of instrument panels that I can print out & stick in the two cockpits?
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2001, 10:28 PM
Hollywood, FL
Joined Dec 2000
53 Posts
I actually did a camo paint scheme on mine. Painted the cockpit black. Flys great! I have flown it so much with the heavier battery packs that my wheels have one broken spoke each. Any suggestions for replacement wheels?
Entropy1 is offline Find More Posts by Entropy1
Old Jul 12, 2001, 01:05 AM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
I built up the cockpit sides 1/2" with scrap foam and added windscreens, then used a Sharpie marker to color the inside black. This really helps the looks of that area. I also added scale flying and landing wires. I'm flying mine with the Hitec feather pack and a 270 mah nimh battery and it has a total weight of around 8 1/2 oz. Even at this weight the Moth flies great!
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Old Jul 12, 2001, 01:42 AM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,700 Posts
Here is a site with lots of good pictures of Tiger Moths.
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...tigermoth.html

I also broke some spokes on my wheels. I just finished building some new ones from balsa, with tires cut from foam pipe insulation. For really nice wheels, there have been posts from people using #2 Trexler balloon wheels.
http://www.trexlerballoonwheel.com
jeffs555 is online now Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Jul 12, 2001, 07:24 AM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
Reinforce the outer struts with balsa and use the new lite wheels from Hobby Lobby. Tape the cowl because glue doesn't hold and tape works fine. Add the forward struts to the landing gear and don't glue the gear in. In addition add a couple of pieces of 1/64 ply just outside the area of the gear legs to prevent them from breaking through the foam. Use a 7-8 cell pack from 180 up. Route the wire from battery and speed controller to outside so that you don't have to take the wing off to charge. Go fly and enjoy !
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Jul 12, 2001, 01:45 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,700 Posts
How much do the Hobby-Lobby wheels weigh? For the landing gear, I tied string around the gear wire where it enters the fusalage. When you land, the string takes the outward spreading force from the gear legs. I am not sure about the balsa on the struts. The plastic struts are flexible, and stiffening them with balsa may cause them to damage the wings in a crash.
jeffs555 is online now Find More Posts by jeffs555