Old Apr 07, 2013, 01:38 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,125 Posts
Help!
Absima Team C Minion alternate body mounting system

Hi

Recently bought the Absima Team C Minion 4WD buggy, based on some rave reviews from other drivers. After some "hiccups" due to a few slips in quality control (one dog bone was too long, wheels needed some adjustment to run true, etc) I've had a few nice drives with it, it handles well and so far I'm pleased with it. Spares are also much cheaper than for most of my other cars, keeping the TCO down, should I break something eventually.

However, the way the body is mounted on the chassis is giving me a headache. Front it uses the classic body mount with body clip, but the rest of the body is held in place with velcro. Normally there is nothing wrong with that, except the self adhesive on the velcro won't stick to the plastic on the chassis for long. I tried cleaning the surface, fixing the velcro with CA, or with Bison contact glue. but the velcro keeps coming loose, and the remaining glue can easily be removed from the surface, leaving it unscathed. The plastic doesn't seem to accept any adhesive, whether it's glue or self adhesive stuff, so I'm loooking at alternate ways to hold the body in place.

Perhaps there are more Minion drivers that ran into the same issue, if so, I'm curious to hear about their ideas. I have some ideas as well, but each requires ordering spare parts from other cars, that may not fit at all.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2013, 02:07 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,125 Posts
No Team C 4WD drivers here?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2013, 02:40 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
454 Posts
Have you tried shoe goo? I have modded my turnigy 1/16 buggy to use velcro for the body, I used shoe goo to attach the velcro strips to the plastic chassis and it's holding up fine so far.
SporadicIdiocy is offline Find More Posts by SporadicIdiocy
Old Apr 09, 2013, 03:33 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,125 Posts
I did try a glue that is commonly used here to even glue things to a stone wall, but no Shoe Goo. I believe it's not commonly available in Europe, but I could try buying it online.

I'm also considering putting 2 extra body posts on the rear edge of the chassis, just like you see on many 2WD cars. But that would mean cutting holes in the chassis, and if possible I would like to prevent this.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2013, 10:56 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
454 Posts
Well there's Amazing Goop, Zap-a-dap-a-goo and some other Shoe Goo equivalent out there.

Not sure if any is available in the Netherlands though. If all else fails try searching for contact adhesive in a hardware store or bicycle tube glue in a cycling store.

BTW did you try scratching/roughing up or scoring the plastic surface you're trying to glue on? Try scoring a checker pattern on it and then apply the glue.. maybe that'll help with adhesion a little better.
SporadicIdiocy is offline Find More Posts by SporadicIdiocy
Last edited by SporadicIdiocy; Apr 09, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:33 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,125 Posts
Thanks for the added suggestions. The Bison glue I mentioned is in fact a contact glue, that can even glue bricks, at least in theory.

I did try roughening up the surface with sanding paper, and using rubbing alcohol to remove any dirt from the area where the glue should go. When dried, you can simply rub the glue off. I've contacted the manufacturer of the car to ask what kind of plastic was used for the chassis. That would make it easier to find a compatible glue, I guess.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:43 PM
BlueBorderRC
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Highly Offensive Content (Immediate suspension). It is temporarily hidden while BlueBorderRC edits it.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 03:07 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,125 Posts
Now please count to ten, or further, if needed. This is no way to behave to anyone, not even if the things you accuse me of would have been true, which they clearly are not in this case.

Btw, I now noticed I didn't update this thread with the latest development. I used another type of "contact glue" on the velcro, to secure it to the chassis, and up till now this held. Surprisingly, on a second Minion I have (I use these as my bash cars) there was no issue with the velcro coming loose of the chassis, so perhaps the problem was just limited to my first car, or a certain batch of cars at most.

Though I still prefer horizontally mounted body posts, where you slide the body on, like on the Lazer ZX 5 for instance, this system with velcro comes in second place close to that.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jun 25, 2013 at 04:03 PM.