HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2013, 08:07 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,794 Posts
Here's video that just may look familiar to the Brits. It wasn't any easier to see being there.

It was sunny and warm EVERYWHERE today except the flying site today. Marina, CA is famous for it's fog. The fog bank ended about 500 yards from the cliff.....was hoping to test the new wing tow hooks, but had to settle for trim flight after the recent servo repair.

Kent

Stallmaster (1 min 25 sec)
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knoll53; Jul 03, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2013, 12:07 PM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
378 Posts
Wow, what a fog! Too much for my taste to fly

Once a flight I wanted to take from San Diego to Heathrow was cancelled because of fog. Suddenly the airport was submerged and we had to take a bus to LAX. That was the 30th of December (scheduled home arrival: early night the 31st). I got some hours later than expected in Heathrow. I won't forget the voice of the attendant when I tried to get an alternative flight to Frankfurt - by the way, a very good looking briitsh girl : "Oh dear, where have you been all the time?" Me: . Anyway, my wife picked me up in Frankfurt after my late arrival and we had to celebrate New Year on some roof of the airport in Frankfurt together with the German border police (Bundesgrenzschutz). At least we had a great view on the fireworks and I have a nice story to tell

Cheers,
Andrés
andrecillo76 is offline Find More Posts by andrecillo76
Old Jul 04, 2013, 12:59 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,794 Posts
Yes, flying in fog is pure lunacy........I'm just stubborn.

If I drive out to the flying site, I will try to fly, no matter what and I have a hangar full of crashed planes to prove.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nosey
Old Jul 04, 2013, 02:28 PM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
524 Posts
Here in the UK we are about to have a heat wave-uk style' so only 25 to 30 degrees c. Still hot enough though. Not much fog about. I have flown in fog too, with chuckies, control line style going round and round yourself-good fun but dizzying.
mhodgson is offline Find More Posts by mhodgson
Old Jul 04, 2013, 07:17 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,794 Posts
Today, added winglets and turbulator strips at the elevons in an effort to improve the stall behavior. Also, started reducing the control surface deflections, which seems to be the only thing that helps. This plane is fun in good slope lift. Just put the nose and let it move and it's happy. But it's a challenge when it's time to slow down and float. It's do-able, just a challenge.

Kent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpUZgZDbtPc
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knoll53; Jul 05, 2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2013, 08:15 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,638 Posts
Kent - that sure looks like a spin entry when it stalls.

Less control movement might help prevent it, but could also make recovery more difficult.

You might try extending the turbulators over the whole length of the wing. I don't think that would prevent the stall, but might make it less severe. You might also introduce a bit of left rudder trim in normal flight - retrim the elevons for straight flight if necessary - then see if that affects the stall pattern.

Finally you might be getting some mechanical interference or something else that allows the right elevon to travel farther up than the left when you pull a lot of back stick. That is, the left elevon may stop moving before the right one does. You have probably looked at that already but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Jul 04, 2013, 11:23 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS View Post
Kent - that sure looks like a spin entry when it stalls.
Less control movement might help prevent it, but could also make recovery more difficult.
Yes, you have to sneak up on the reduced control movement. I"ve had very tiny movements before and the lack of up elevator was a problem. It's worth trying again. Before I do that, I think that I'll try a slightly more forward CG with the same control throws that I have now. One of the first flights had CG about 1" farther forward.
Quote:
You might try extending the turbulators over the whole length of the wing. I don't think that would prevent the stall, but might make it less severe.
Yes, I can try that. Along similar lines I can lessen or remove the movement of the flaps and fly with only elevons. That arrangement works for the Plank 101. Also, as an alternate, I could put all of the elevator on the flaps with aileron only at the tip panel. Kinda grasping at straws now, but it's fun to experiment.

Quote:
You might also introduce a bit of left rudder trim in normal flight - retrim the elevons for straight flight if necessary - then see if that affects the stall pattern.
This would be interesting and quite troubling if it works.

Quote:
Finally you might be getting some mechanical interference or something else that allows the right elevon to travel farther up than the left when you pull a lot of back stick. That is, the left elevon may stop moving before the right one does. You have probably looked at that already but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
I'll check when the servo is repaired, but I think that this is not a problem simply because when I pull a loop that is too tight (which is most any loop) I do so very slowly. That is the elevator is slowly fed in as needed for the loop. There is no tendency for the plane to stray to the right until it snaps into the stall.

Thanks for your thoughts Herk.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2013, 08:45 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,794 Posts
Moved the CG forward to 5 1/16" today then went "looking for trouble" in light lift.......flying slow, then pulling back a bit. The flight envelope is a little larger now, but stills stalls earlier and more severely than I would like. This will be a dedicated slope ship. When the winds are up, I'll pull this one out.

You can see from the initial ground test that the control surface deflections are quite modest. The ground test starts with full nose up, then nose down then turns.

Kent

http://youtu.be/KPtqndZukBM
RCG Plus Member