HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:35 AM
United States, TN, Smyrna
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing and USPS

Sitting here on a snowy day, twiddling my thumbs - Was hoping my winter plane build project would be completed by now, but here I am still waiting for parts. I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on this;

I placed my first ever HobbyKing order on Jan 20, 2012. They processed it Feb. 2 and shipped Swiss Post. The order made it to 'ISC New York, NY (USPS)' on Feb. 10 where it still sits, 9 days later. Tomorrow is President's day, so an even longer delay.

I contacted HobbyKing to try to figure out where my package went and talked to 'Ivy' on live chat, who told me they won't inquire with USPS until the package is 39 days late.

I contacted USPS and they told me to contact Swiss Post.

Swiss Post told me to contact the original sender.

Hobby King told me to call my local Post office.

Local Post office said, "no package here", sorry.

Is it common for USPS to sit on packages for 10+ days? Seems odd that it's not here yet. A package sent from NY to TN should usually take 3 days, max.

Would EMS have encouraged them to move it a little quicker?

I keep hearing about people getting their HobbyKing packages in a reasonable amount of time. How are you managing this? Mine will be 30 days and counting on Tuesday when USPS goes back to work.

I'm not sure this HobbyKing deal is the best idea. Maybe I'll start working on an order now for *next* winter's project

Who is the next best on-line parts source that can ship UPS / DHL, etc.?
Champster is offline Find More Posts by Champster
Last edited by Champster; Feb 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Update
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:27 AM
florida
Joined Nov 2002
176 Posts
My package went from bethpage ,NY then to NYC where it sat for 4 days before being shipped to Florida. I think customs may be checking the packages which takes longer.
flightdeck is online now Find More Posts by flightdeck
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:17 AM
Flying Saucer Mechanic
Middle River MD
Joined Dec 2000
520 Posts
post office lost package

You will find I think unless you are very lucky your package is history. The post office will not pursue this until it magicly appears they will not search for it, they will not take responsibility for losing it, If HobbyKing doesn't replace it you will lose. I've seen this before. No insurance no claim. Even with ins. you might be screwed.
Stef is offline Find More Posts by Stef
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
Where do you guys buy your parts? There must be a better option than paying 5x the price at the LHS.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
206 Posts
try headsuprc.com-great guy.
ReddiK is offline Find More Posts by ReddiK
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
Just placed an order with HobbyPartz. They appear to ship with UPS. Let's see if they can do better...
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:18 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,472 Posts
Hobbypartz does do better even to Canada (days not months).
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Dec 2010
190 Posts
There are some serious problems with the US Postal Service in NY. They have consolidated several of their regional sorting offices in an attempt to save money. Numerous letters and packages have gone missing both to and from my parents in NY including an overnight priority mail insured package that they still cannot find. Doesn't help that the post office is also putting their mail on Fed Ex trucks also.
FoamieFlier is offline Find More Posts by FoamieFlier
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
After doing some digging around, it appears I can find everything I need here in the USA (online) for only slightly more $$ (generally 15-30% more). I just found the 6-channel OrangeRx DSM2 reciever on e-bay for $12 shipped from the USA. Yes, it's twice the price, but it's also worth not dealing with the aggravation of the 'if and when' game.

Oh - HobbyPartz has already processed my order from one day prior.

I think I'm done with HobbyKing. Day 31 and counting...
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:27 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
206 Posts
I haven't found a U.S. retailer yet who couldn't or wouldn't provide prompt, courteous claim service. Now, granted, I have not bought from Banana or Nitro, but I have bought from just about everybody else.

We can thank Hong Kong for one thing: serious competition from serious imitators, who seriously want customers to return!
ReddiK is offline Find More Posts by ReddiK
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:14 AM
United States, NE, Sidney
Joined Jan 2012
14 Posts
It's not just NY, seems it's anything starting with a N. I had a couple servo's and a set of ball drivers on order. Ordered on the 5th of Jan. and I watched them sit in customs for 10 days. Then the order got to Omaha Nebraska and dropped off the radar. Then it showed returned to sender on the HK tracking site. To the best of my knowledge they have my parts and have my money. I paid via paypal and am in the process of putting in a claim.
zeroack is offline Find More Posts by zeroack
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:31 PM
Learjets
United States, IN, Lebanon
Joined Nov 2003
164 Posts
maybe I should feel lucky my order didn't leave HK yet??????
Learjets is offline Find More Posts by Learjets
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:56 AM
Total Noob
United States, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
The prices through HK are fantastic, but I'm fed up... took 25 days from the time I ordered for stuff to get here. And then USPS was kind enough to not even honk when they drove by my house, they just shoved the card into the mail box and took off..... not the first time those bastards do that. Fedex and UPS always try to see if I'm home before they take off.

I'm going to be trying different vendors like StrongMotors, Heads Up RC, Hobby Partz, Grayson Hobby, BP Hobbies, rcplanebuilder. They all have deals that are comparable to HK and you don't have to wait for a month.
bkboggy is offline Find More Posts by bkboggy
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:57 AM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
HobbyKing - learned my lesson.. never again

So, I needed a 3S Lipo pack, surfed around and found HobbyKing, which had a really good price.
Stupid me, went ahead and ordered, without checking up on Hobbyking here on RCG...
$32 + $ 9.99 shipping = $ 41.99 total

Order placed on 2/15
Order shipped on 2/19 ( 4 days for processing ? not good )
Order delivered : not yet
Tracking info : They sent me a tracking info, but did not tell me the shipper.
Looks like a USPS number, but USPS has no record of this number....
E-mail to HobbyKing : no answer....

So, next time, it will be cheapbatterypacks.com, TowerHobbies, or some other outfit.
Yes their prices are higher, by $15-$20, but I will have my stuff within 3 days or so...
Being located in cincinnati, Tower Hobbies orders from the Champaign, IL warehouse usually get to me in 1-2 days..
MTT is online now Find More Posts by MTT
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:42 AM
United States, IL, Aurora
Joined Aug 2011
32 Posts
Never ever again with Hobby King. My first order with them, ordered batteries 2 weeks ago that were in-stock. 4days later shows printed in warehouse, sat like that for a week, now it doesn't show printed in warehouse and still hasn't shipped two weeks later. Tried chat and they said it would ship by the end of the week, guess what, week came and left, still not shipped. Like I said, never ever again with Hobby King.

Don't do it.
darimont is offline Find More Posts by darimont
Last edited by darimont; Feb 27, 2012 at 08:32 AM.