HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:57 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Oct 2009
197 Posts
Discussion
Don Muddiman Flying Machine

The Don Muddiman Flying Machine. Will come as an ARF kit in three color choices. THis is the show aircraft used by Don all over the world. The Flying Machine
was never offered to the general public as an ARF. It was only avialable as a short kit with plans. It was designed by Don in 1981 and since that time no RC
airplane has ever been developed that could duplicate what the Flying Machine is capable of. SHe is so quick that the wings require 4 bolts mounted into aluminium straps just to keep it on.

Don Muddiman Flying Machine (5 min 40 sec)
Condor060 is offline Find More Posts by Condor060
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:56 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,731 Posts
That's essentially a Hots.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:01 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Oct 2009
197 Posts
The Flying Machine was designed in 1981 prior to the “Hots” coming into existence. Dan B. Santich designed the “Hots” sometime in 1984 and Midwest models produced the kit.

The only thing both aircraft have in common is a similar profile outline. Other then that the “Hots” cannot compete with the flight envelope and high speed aerobatics of the Flying Machine.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 06:49 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
1981....Almost qualify for "Vintage"
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:25 AM
Stuck on Cyanoacrylate!
Southwestern Illinois
Joined Jun 2007
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh View Post
That's essentially a Hots.

howell

Oh how wrong you are...

A Hots can only wish that it was a Flying Machine!!!

Condor, when do you expect the ARF's to be available?
xlr82v2 is offline Find More Posts by xlr82v2
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:48 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Oct 2009
197 Posts
We will have prototypes in 3 weeks. If Don signs off on them we will got right into production.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:21 PM
Stuck on Cyanoacrylate!
Southwestern Illinois
Joined Jun 2007
175 Posts
Hmmm... I've got a set of plans from Don, but... it's instant gratification with the ARF....

Decisions, decisions!

Has anyone flown one with a .46 and a Mousse can pipe? Specifically, a well used OS .46SF ABC?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:37 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2008
22 Posts
I am very interested in getting one. Do you have a ballpark price in mind for the ARF? I loved my 40 sized Hots II and the Flying Machine looks to blow it away.

Bentrod
Bentrod is offline Find More Posts by Bentrod
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:43 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Oct 2009
197 Posts
Pricing of the model will be released as soon as we have a grasp on what the cost is going to be. You have to consider that the FM has building standards not required by any other aircraft in its class so even though we need to be competitive and reasonable in its pricing, we also have a bit more production cost than lets say an Ultra Stick. I think it would be reasonable to assume that the completed kit could come in anywhere from 189-225 depending on what it will take to build it, how much other manufactures would like to participate like packaging it with OS motors, Mac pipes, and props.

If it was a standard wood kit without the need for 4 bolt wings, spruce spar, aluminum wing mounts, rounded nose, and rounded built turtle deck with the ability to withstand its own self destructing G loads you would have a standard $180 retail airplane building it like an Ultra stick for example. While the cost individually to add the extras that a FM needs appears high up front, the overall manufacturing and amount of aircraft purchased starts to drop the cost factor.

With that being said, the Flying Machine is going to price itself meaning it is what it is. Our approach to this product with be the same for everything we carry. I don't think you will be able to buy a short kit (or plans) purchase all the materials (wood, wheels, glue, fuel tank, hardware, landing gear, covering) and build it for less at your cost (not including your time to construct it) than you can purchase the ARF. Thats kind of the industry standard.

I hope that answers the question without being to evasive on the subject. Its becoming more and more difficult to estimate these things without being rolled over the coals if it doesn't come in at what we planned and Don's FM is a stand alone aircraft to say the least. I will tell you that we will not sacrifice the structure to bring the price down. What ever she comes in at cost wise will be a Don Muddiman Flying Machine to its very core. Nothing less. This estimate includes everything needed except radio, servos, engine, prop, and pipe.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:52 PM
Stuck on Cyanoacrylate!
Southwestern Illinois
Joined Jun 2007
175 Posts
Whoa... Deja Vu!

Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:22 AM
United States, GA, Gray
Joined Apr 2007
878 Posts
I hope the prototypes are as good as the original.
Disarray is offline Find More Posts by Disarray
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:46 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Oct 2009
197 Posts
We have a jump on the production of this FM. Don actually received a working prototype from East RC. He flew it and made the final changes on the model with all of the needed upgrades.

Don gave us the prototype with his changes (including the original CAD file) so we should have a great head start.

I am sure Don will make a few changes but they should be very small and not hold up production.

Famous last words.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 11:58 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2008
22 Posts
Any updates on the release of the Flying Machine?
Bentrod is offline Find More Posts by Bentrod
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:08 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Oct 2009
197 Posts
No new information as of today. The parts have been built and the prototype is being assembled. Will let everyone know when it is shipped to Don.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:18 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Oct 2009
197 Posts
I spoke with our factory team yesterday. They are sending me a few pictures of the assembly process. Keep in mind we have two other exclusive products being manufactured at the same time. A Bell 407 heli and a ducted fan 747.

During the building process of building the FM our guys came up with a few ideas. We don't know how well it will work but after the first FM's off the line we are going to produce a vacum formed fiberglass fuse for the FM. Will it hold up? I have no clue but Don will be the best test. Discussing it for months won't give us any results so I told the guys to make one. If the fiberglass FM is a success we will offer the aircraft in both forms. TO be honest about it. THe fiberglass model would come in a little cheaper.

Our new website will launch in the next 45 days and I have to have these aircraft produced, shipped, and ready for sale prior to the website going live.

I will post the pictures they send me on the FM production. Normally we wouldn't do that but I think everyone deserves to be involved with this one. You guys have waited far too long and you should all have a front row seat as far as I am concerned.

I should have pics today or tonight and will get them up ASAP. More to come.

Fred