Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:41 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,195 Posts
ffdshow ALERT!

I just download the latest version (v 3713) of this normally excellent video codec pack. A change was made that caused the majority of the VFW (Video For Windows) video encoder codecs to be omitted! With Vdub, I no longer had the h.264 codec to use with my .AVI files, and had to revert back to my prior version (v 3701). This has been reported to the developer and hopefully will be corrected in the next update. Until then avoid installing the latest version (v 3713)!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 04, 2011 at 01:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:42 AM
Joined Jan 2011
13 Posts
wow, thanks for the quick and thoughtful response Tom Frank

i'm going to go ahead and purchase it tomorrow afternoon! And I'll be looking into all the videos posted like you said. Thanks again for all the helpful tips, you answered everything pretty well.

btw, you're at post 7,777 .... you're lucky!

edit: make that 7,778 lol
thygriever2 is offline Find More Posts by thygriever2
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:45 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thygriever2 View Post
wow, thanks for the quick and thoughtful response Tom Frank

i'm going to go ahead and purchase it tomorrow afternoon! And I'll be looking into all the videos posted like you said. Thanks again for all the helpful tips, you answered everything pretty well.

btw, you're at post 7,777 .... you're lucky!

edit: make that 7,778 lol
Darn... too late! I should have bought a lottery ticket yesterday... it was up to 45 million dollars... or maybe it was 450 million... a lot higher than I can count, anyway!
Old Jan 04, 2011, 06:24 AM
Slovakia
Joined Jul 2009
57 Posts
Ordered. I've asked the seller to remove date stamp before he will send the camera, so I will have a camera with date stamp removed. Very good communication with internetshop356.
DaggyMAC is offline Find More Posts by DaggyMAC
Old Jan 04, 2011, 06:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Darn... too late! I should have bought a lottery ticket yesterday... it was up to 45 million dollars... or maybe it was 450 million... a lot higher than I can count, anyway!
O_O man if you won that, you would probably have your own aircraft and wouldn't need to settle for the model

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaggyMAC View Post
Ordered. I've asked the seller to remove date stamp before he will send the camera, so I will have a camera with date stamp removed. Very good communication with internetshop356.
Hmmm... that's quite a good idea! Although I'm curious if they might give you a different version if you tell them to do it themselves (just cuz sometimes you get unlucky or they're just really lazy). I'm buying from the same guy so lets hope we both get something good!
thygriever2 is offline Find More Posts by thygriever2
Last edited by thygriever2; Jan 04, 2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:01 AM
good till the first drop
michigan usa
Joined Jan 2005
607 Posts
nice post thanks
lesodell is offline Find More Posts by lesodell
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:14 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
If you've seen how the old 808 images have noticeable video "noise" at lower light level, compare with some of the video clips users have already posted here. While there is white balance shift in low light, I don't see the typical "noise" artifacts like the old 808 has. I think the HD CMOS sensor has much better light sensitivity.
FYI, AVIDEMUX has a nice HQ 3D spatial and teporal noise cleaner... I just started to experiment with this, and really cleans up the image very well (without noticeable degradation in sharpness).

Can be useful for the HD version as well (better compressibility).

Orderd mine Dec. 12, still waiting...

My compliments for this thread!
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:19 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
opening the firmware in a Txt reader we can find those lines:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i?? v ?? NOVATEK DIGITAL CAMERA?
!NTK96610?Ver.1?&0V?D2001:07:01 12:00:00 ??ƒŒ? š???
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so i guess novatek might be the company who made the design,

About the vigneting... as far as i know is usually a problem of too wide lens, (but those ones don't seems to be that wider...)
i am curious about the angle of view f this HD camera,
any one can make some easy calcs to reveal the approximate angle of view of the camera? thnks
If you take a JPEG single image and look at it using EXIF viewer or similar, it should show max aperture and focal length FWIW. Also should show some other interesting stuff such as camera type and software. I don't have one yet, still monitoring the 5 sellers, linked to my avatar.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:39 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbob View Post
I'm on-board and ordered one yesterday from hxelepro360

Great video and editing Kerbob
Brett1 is offline Find More Posts by Brett1
Old Jan 04, 2011, 10:37 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,195 Posts
HD Key Cam Vendor Alert!

I have just received some preliminary information from my so far reliable contact for the sources of these cameras (see post #2). He told me he sells through 8 stores on eBay, not just the four vendors I had identified. But the important information is that a possible deal is in the offing with a large US vendor who wants to set up an arrangement with him to supply the HD key cams in exchange for exclusive distribution rights to sell them in the US. This would mean that he would no longer be able to sell them on eBay for shipment to US destinations. What would this mean for us in the U.S.? My guess is the price will go UP!

You may have a different view, but if you were waiting for prices to come down, here's what you can do in the interim. If you can pay via a Paypal transaction you can order direct from him via email at hotbid365@gmail.com. He can fulfill orders with a slight discount for now via direct selling. Or if you are not comfortable with that, the eBay stores can still sell as they now do to the US.

The US vendor exclusive sale arrangement is not finalized, and may never be. I'm just passing on information I was given, and maybe get you a slight discount on the camera for now.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 10:40 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
FYI, AVIDEMUX has a nice HQ 3D spatial and teporal noise cleaner... I just started to experiment with this, and really cleans up the image very well (without noticeable degradation in sharpness).

Can be useful for the HD version as well (better compressibility).

Orderd mine Dec. 12, still waiting...

My compliments for this thread!
Thanks for the AviDemux noise filter tip. I have only briefly play with the filter set, comparing with Vdub filters, and find them to be good. When I can experiment a bit more, I will add some editing tips like this for AviDemux in post #4.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:35 AM
Joined Dec 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
You may have a different view, but if you were waiting for prices to come down, here's what you can do in the interim. If you can pay via a Paypal transaction you can order direct from him via email at hotbid365@gmail.com. He can fulfill orders with a slight discount for now via direct selling. Or if you are not comfortable with that, the eBay stores can still sell as they now do to the US.
Tom,

How about organizing a Group Buy before the ink dries - do you think there is enough interest for say, 100 cameras at a time? This will save LOTS of shipping costs for the vendor and the prices must then be much more reasonable. And shipping in the US after they arrive are on the order of a buck or two.

clx1
clx1 is offline Find More Posts by clx1
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:46 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clx1 View Post
Tom,

How about organizing a Group Buy before the ink dries - do you think there is enough interest for say, 100 cameras at a time? This will save LOTS of shipping costs for the vendor and the prices must then be much more reasonable. And shipping in the US after they arrive are on the order of a buck or two.

clx1
I have no idea what the interest level might be, nor what kind of price might be negotiated for a lot of 100 cameras. My guess is, you might get maybe a 15%-20 discount, but who knows?

I certainly have my hands full just keeping up with the Q/A in this (and other) threads, plus flying every once in a while! So I really don't have time to be the focal point or handle the distribution for a group buy like that. Maybe someone else will volunteer?

Right now, I'm only in the market for the one I have on it's way to me right now.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:59 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,195 Posts
HD Key Cam Angle of View (AOV)

OK, thanks to jhi, I am passing on to you his very revealing comparison of the HD key cam with one of the old 808 versions, both with and without an add-on wide angle lens on the cameras.

Based on the dimensions he gave for his HD video example, I calculated it would take a 58.2 deg. AOV to capture the corner-to-corner image of his video. So, I expect the lens on the camera is a tiny bit more than that, but not much based on the vignetting we can see. In any event, you can easily see how much greater the AOV is than the old 808, even when it has the add-on wide angle lens! And you can also see the horizontal distortion the 720x480 video of the old 808 produces.

<edit>
Based on the other pictures and measurements jhi added in post #317, I have done additional calculations that show:

AOV of old 808 camera: 48.8 deg.
AOV of HD key cam WITH wide angle add-on lens: 64.4 deg.
<edit>

Thanks jhi for taking the time to prepare this!
----------------------------------------------------
808HD AOV
Tom,

I have prepared some preliminary material on the AOV request in the "Real HD Key Cam Thread", hope you don't mind me sending it directly to you.

- Downloaded test image from here:http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ern_PM5644.png (The copyright holder grants everyone the right to use this material)
- Printed image to A1 format (similar to ANSI D) on my HP Designjet 500 plotter.
- Shot both videos from distance 835mm (32.87")
- Tested both new 808HD camera and "old" #3 808SD camera - without/with wide angle lens. It looks like some are interested in comparing new and old camera and some are also asking about the "fish eye lens".

YouTube links:

808HD - AOV Test video.MOV (0 min 35 sec)

and

808SD - AOV Test video.AVI (0 min 18 sec)

- The wide angle lens I used is similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/0-67X-Wide-Angle...ht_5771wt_1136.

PS
Tried to attach the picture files without luck , I can email it to you if you like, or I may upload to the thread. The files show measurements on the test image necessary to calculate AOV (I think). I checked ChuckLohr's site, but know too little about these things to handle it professionally. Hope you can "do the math" - The width/height of the HD shot is estimated to be 810x455mm (31.89"x17.91")- distance from camera 835mm (32.87"), but I guess it's better for you to have a look at the images. Should you need it, total width/height of the printed image (not in view all the time) is 837x468mm (32.95"x18.43") to outside the outer stippled border - hope this is not confusing..

Please disregard the lighting anomalies - the image was partly lit from indoor lamps and light from window.

Regards Jan
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 05, 2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added more AOV info based on pictures in post #317
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:18 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
I have just received some preliminary information from my so far reliable contact for the sources of these cameras (see post #2). He told me he sells through 8 stores on eBay, not just the four vendors I had identified. But the important information is that a possible deal is in the offing with a large US vendor who wants to set up an arrangement with him to supply the HD key cams in exchange for exclusive distribution rights to sell them in the US. This would mean that he would no longer be able to sell them on eBay for shipment to US destinations. What would this mean for us in the U.S.? My guess is the price will go UP!

The US vendor exclusive sale arrangement is not finalized, and may never be. I'm just passing on information I was given, and maybe get you a slight discount on the camera for now.
I wish I would have thought to go direct. I've done that before for electronic equipment and it worked like a charm, saved about 20%. eBay is ridiculous with their fees. $40 is not that bad though... just wish the wait wasn't so long.

I wouldn't be too worried about the prices going UP any time soon. They are already 4x higher than the lower res cameras, and the lower res is really not that bad.

As soon as someone in the US gets an exclusive deal, and RAISES the price... someone else is going to realize there is money to be made and start offering a similar product for less.
Brett1 is offline Find More Posts by Brett1
Closed Thread