Old Nov 03, 2009, 09:47 PM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Long Island NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
2,775 Posts
Discussion
Cellfoam 88 vs Depron for building

Hey guys, quick question about building materials:

I'm placing an order with tower and noticed they carry Midwest products cellfoam in 3mm thickness. How does this stuff compare to depron?

If i recall correctly, i heard its similar. I'm wanting to do a lot of scratch building F3P for this winter season and i figure i could just throw it on with my order from tower.

Thanks
heligrom is offline Find More Posts by heligrom
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2009, 09:57 PM
GO FAST OR GO HOME!!!!!!!
Joined May 2007
575 Posts
same stuff
$$J3ft$$ is offline Find More Posts by $$J3ft$$
Old Nov 04, 2009, 09:40 AM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
If it's the same stuff that Cellfoam was a coupel years ago, it is most definitely NOT the same stuff. The Cellfoam is much more brittle. If you bend it, it hits a certain point and then breaks with a very definitive snap. I don't know about weight, but it's kind of obnoxious to work with.
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old Nov 08, 2009, 08:27 AM
Faster!
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Oct 2004
1,139 Posts
I like CellFoam. I used it to build several aircraft, including a little EDF with a curved intake. With a little heat from a heat gun, I was able to mold and form it into just about any shape. The duct on this little EDF-40 powered plane is made of a singe piece of 3mm. If your going to place an order with Tower anyway, get some and give it a try!

-Joshua
Joshua Wesley is offline Find More Posts by Joshua Wesley
Old Nov 11, 2009, 03:50 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2008
207 Posts
cellfoam is awesome stuff! it's all i use and my lhs stocks it.
skootertrash74 is offline Find More Posts by skootertrash74
Old Nov 11, 2009, 04:38 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
I have not used CellFoam 88, but I have seen it in Michaels and Hobby Lobby craft stores, if anybody is looking to try some.

Jonathan
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Nov 21, 2009, 03:42 AM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
It is very similar to depron, but it is denser. I built a Index 2.2 from the plans and once cut out, my pile of foam parts was about 15 grams heavier than the exact same parts cut from depron.

My AUW was 140 grams, and would have been 125 had I used depron. For larger designs it's less of a problem, but for F3P designs it's a touch too heavy.
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Old Nov 28, 2009, 04:32 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
It's NOT the same stuff. I use both and have found that the cellpro has kind of an outer "skin" finish on both sides. It bends before it breaks (leaves a crease in the skin), whereas Depron just breaks. I feel that 3mm Depron is just a bit stiffer, 3mm Cellpro is a bit denser. For 3mm indoor a/c, either works great. For 6mm outdoor, I would choose Depron over Cellpro.
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud