SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 23, 2015, 03:52 AM
Find More Posts by midastouch_73
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2011
13 Posts
Build Log
Jerry Bates Scale Dauntless

(Note: I will repost the exact same build log on rcuniverse) After a lot of planing and anticipation I've decided to start this long awaited project. I have progressively honed my skills in this bobbie and I've decided to take on the challenge of a full kit build. I have always wanted to do this. After buying many ARFs I'm no longer satisfied with them. ARF although convenient and quick to build theres nothing custom or unique about them. You show up to the field and you see dozens of the same planes. Although I respect all who are involved in this hobby I have true respect for the true craftsman in this hobby. I'm speaking of the craftsman who take on the challenge of building kits. I like the planes I have in my hanger but it's time for another addition....
midastouch_73 is offline Find More Posts by midastouch_73
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2015, 03:58 AM
Joined Nov 2011
13 Posts
My first order of business was deciding on building table. After doing a bit of research I found just the table I wanted to build. I decide to go with a magnetic building system. I found this thread here on RCU hat was really helpful. I also found the second link which had lots of info as well. I was able to purchase the latch magnets directly from the manufacture. They just happen to be local.

Magnetic building system

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...f_cottrell.htm

My first attempt was a failure. I had a 95" x 35" solid door with 6 adjustable legs on it. I then topped it with a 14awg steel sheet. I was happy as hell until I came out the next morning and it was sagging like an old pair of ***. Luckily my buddy was able to make a strait solid table for me to work with. I was able to peel the steel sheet off of the old table and reuse it. I only spent $30 on the first table so it wasn't much of a loss. After I got the new table setup going I went down to Lowes looking for plastic sheeting to cover my plans from the glue. As I was walked around looking for the sheeting I found something much better, a clear plastic twin mattress cover. It was very durable and the perfect size for the table. Plus I was able to make two sheets from it so I have a spare.
Old May 23, 2015, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by scootrb4
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,598 Posts
Love the Dauntless. Looking forward to the build.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old May 23, 2015, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by paulhunter
United Kingdom, England, Chester
Joined Jun 2009
118 Posts
I will be following this build. If I ever get a big enough workshop then either the dauntless or his helldiver will be getting build.
paulhunter is offline Find More Posts by paulhunter
Old May 23, 2015, 08:44 PM
Joined Nov 2011
13 Posts
1/4 Scale Jerry Bates Dauntless

I will document my progress as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
Love the Dauntless. Looking forward to the build.
Old May 23, 2015, 08:46 PM
Joined Nov 2011
13 Posts
Space is a must for these planes. I will admit it's larger than I anticipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhunter View Post
I will be following this build. If I ever get a big enough workshop then either the dauntless or his helldiver will be getting build.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:40 PM
Joined Nov 2011
13 Posts
Jerry Bates Scale Dauntless

Ok... My first day of building was going well until I hit a snag. I had my short kit cut by Bob Holman of BHPlans. He did a masterful job and the woods quality is superb. In addition his turn around time was really fast. I started with the center section of the wing and I noticed after a minute the leading edge and trailing edges were not among the cut parts. I was able to contact Bob and Jerry and they both were great with working out the situation. Thankfully I didn't glue anything in place prior to figuring this out. I also did realize I should assemble the center section of the wing upside down first. I will have to flip everything over once my other parts arrive. I'm trying to be patient but maybe I can find something else to do meantime...
Old May 24, 2015, 06:10 AM
Ldm
Find More Posts by Ldm
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
9,101 Posts
Great build !! I thought you might appreciate this thread , 2004 winner of the Toledo show Tom Pierce , tons of pics and steps on the details side of the Northwest Models Dauntless build.
www.tompierce.net - rc planes
www.tompierce.net/rcplanes/

Some pics for you while waiting for motivation and a small fun scale AT-6 converted over to a Dauntless , all in fun , wont post any more in total respect for this excellent build , but I know you were waiting for parts, great build once again looks to be an incredible project.

Also pics of one of my favorite TG winners seen on line all for motivation
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old May 24, 2015, 11:08 AM
Joined Nov 2011
13 Posts
Thanks for the pics. That's a pretty nifty conversion there. I've read Toms build and it was something that helped inspired me to do a larger one. I would like to be one of the first if not the first to complete it.
Old May 24, 2015, 08:46 PM
Ldm
Find More Posts by Ldm
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
9,101 Posts
Looking forward to your build, looks to be a great project and thanks for allowing the comments .
Old May 25, 2015, 12:00 AM
Joined Nov 2011
13 Posts
No problem at all. I appreciate and welcome comments. That's the only way to grow and learn in this hobby.
Old May 25, 2015, 04:43 AM
Ldm
Find More Posts by Ldm
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
9,101 Posts
Thank you sir , if you decide your going to need linear movement for the canopy ect, I recomment Fergelli servos, there pricey but super easy to use.
I have about 4 used on differant planes moveing the canopys in a scale nice smooth manner.
They avg about $70 a piece but you dont need a physics degree on installation lol , no binding, buzzing ect just great smooth work !! .
Also for Pilots , your avg weight is about 8 to 12 oz per pilot if you use the typical Blue Box guy , so your gaining 16 to 24 oz in the middle of the plane with dead weight. I know many guys dont care , but there non function dead weight.
So instead you can cut the heads, hands and feet off, rebuild the body from Blue Foam light balsa support. I added cheapo $7 mini servos, all up weight is about 5.5oz. By attacheing the Torso servo to the Alerons and the head servos to the elevator you get right left movement and neck moves up and down. I made the cockpit control stick and attach with a flexiable wire, attach the stick to the pilots hand and you have two animated pilots at a super budget price .
On Google under Fergelli Servos, I have my P40 pilot and sliding canopy , this particulr pilot only has neck movement , now all of mine have torso and neck. I dont attach the controls to the rudder because while on the ground you would get a "tail Wag" effect with pilot movement, just a fun tip have a great Holiday !
Old May 27, 2015, 02:20 AM
Joined Nov 2011
13 Posts
Thanks for that info. When I get to that point I'll refer back to that info.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:56 PM
Find More Posts by tailskid2
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,635 Posts
Here is a pic for ya....
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Decathlon or Cub?
Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM