Old Jan 27, 2015, 06:57 AM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
4,021 Posts
Build Log
KK Bandit for RC & Electric

Since the unfortunate demise of the Airacobra (stop tittering at the back), I have been simply pottering – I have put a wing rack up in the garage so that models can be hung from the ceiling sans ailes to improve storage capacity; I have fettled the Ohm 8 – giving it a CF u/c (as the ‘cold formed’ one I made is cracking), faired in the back end, and improved the lower wing positioning; I am also finally making a nose block for the KK Gypsy. However, in the aftermath of wiping out a year’s work I could feel a little general dampening of enthusiasm, so I have decided that what I really need is to launch into another build. Something reasonably solid, c40”, R/E/T and hopefully a reasonably sure flyer. Looking through my various computer files of downloaded plans (thanks Steve!) which constitutes my ‘build list’ I came across the KK Bandit. I remembered George saying that between him and his brother-in-law they had built about fifty of the blighters, and what better recommendation could you get?

Whilst perusing said plan, I did notice that due to the scanning process, there was not one straight line in it (look at the tailplane spar) and so I felt that a little work with one of Monsieur Dassault’s free CAD products was in order. Having designed and built the Airacobra, where I knew that if I cut the part accurately to the 0.2mm wide line it would certainly fit, I wanted to effectively take half the ‘fitting’ work out at the planning stage. I agree with others that a CAD drawn plan is cold and has very little soul; I too love an original hand drawn plan. But by gum, a CAD plan is a lot nicer to build from – and you get both wings the same size and shape!

My idea is to pretty much leave the structure as is, other than the necessary to include control surfaces and an electric donkey; so for once there will be no laminated rudder outline or wingtips. The reason is partly because I may (I haven’t decided) cover at least partly with clear film, as I loved the look of Harry D’s Swayback in the recent Complete A Project Build Off. However, that is some way off yet so don’t tar and feather me yet.

CAD work is ongoing, but some ribs were cut out using George’s ply pattern technique which results in accurate ribs that do not need sanding as a block – something which I have always disliked doing (never could get both templates identical!). Then I worked out the wood order I would need to place with the luvverly and ever-helpful Vanda at Balsa Cabin. After that, I had to modify the wing design because the kit included 7/8” x 3/16” TE stock, and BC don’t do it. No problem, tweak the design for ” X 7/16” TE. Then cut out the ribs again……

Other tweaks will be 1/16” LE sheeting on wing & 1/32” on tailplane (kit had 1/24” on both); 1.5mm ply dihedral braces in place of 3/16” balsa; a mainspar laminated from 3/16”x1/8” balsa and 1/8” sq spruce in place of the all-balsa one on the plan; some extra gussetry at the weak spot at the rear of the cabin area (thanks George!); some sort of plug-in u/c; and possibly drop the wing incidence from 4 to 3. Other than that I think I will try and follow the original build methods. Talking of which, does anyone have a copy of the original KK written instructions that they would scan for me (and Steve at Outerzone)?

At the moment, a fuzzy target is to have it done by June 28th so that I can take it to the Pontefract Single Channel & Vintage Day; but as I may well also be building something for whatever the next Build-Off is, that could all get very interesting!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Jan 27, 2015 at 07:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2015, 07:36 AM
Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
3,242 Posts
I like the looks of it blink,you might want to add some sheet doublers in the gear area.scottie
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jan 27, 2015, 07:46 AM
Joined Nov 2008
4,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1 View Post
I like the looks of it blink,you might want to add some sheet doublers in the gear area.scottie
Thanks for that Scottie! But if you look in the 'Section at F4' on the plan, you can see that there is something there; looking at the printwood file it looks like F14 are the 'cabin sides'......

Old Jan 27, 2015, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,639 Posts
Yep Blink, the cabin sides below the glass house were sheeted. And I hope that "3/4" x 7/16" Trailing edge is a typo, othewise you are in for some heavy duty carving and sanding!!

I'll be watching this with great interest; as you said the Bandit (and it's bigger and smaller brothers) is a long time favourite of mine, however, "about 50" is somewhat of an over statement, looking back at the old log books I see we had 3 Pirates, 6 Bandits and 2 Outlaws. One of the Bandits recorded in excess of 300 flights, a couple of the others over 200 (we flew A LOT in those days); one was lost completely in a monster thermal and never seen again, another flew away and spent 3 months in a corn field becoming more than somewhat faded and warped in the process and a third spent several weeks in the top of a huge oak tree, until the wing bands perished and the bits fell out. Happy days, but thank the Lord for R/C! During the same period we had 11 Smeed Paageboys as well as all sorts of other one off models, so you will guess I was quite a quick builder in those days, albeit not quite as neat as I am now.

It'll be a great flyer.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jan 27, 2015, 01:01 PM
Joined Nov 2008
4,021 Posts
Yes indeed, I meant 3/4" x 3/16"; it was one of my many trypos.....!

Given the multiple examples that you have had experience of, what sort of AUWs were you getting for your FF versions? And does anyone have an idea of when it appeared in the KK range?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by patmcc
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
686 Posts
The Bandit featured in Keil Kraft's advert on the back page of the AM March 1949 issue. It wasn't advertised by anyone in either the AM March or May '48 issues.

BTW, a bit late now, but you could have just glued a strip of 1/8 x 3/16 to the 3/4 TE which would also have given a nice line for notching to for the ribs.
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Jan 27, 2015, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Yes indeed, I meant 3/4" x 3/16"; it was one of my many trypos.....!

Given the multiple examples that you have had experience of, what sort of AUWs were you getting for your FF versions? And does anyone have an idea of when it appeared in the KK range?
To my eternal shame I have to admit that we never weighed our models back in those far off days, indeed we didn't have any scales, but I would guess around 11 to 12 ounces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmcc View Post
The Bandit featured in Keil Kraft's advert on the back page of the AM March 1949 issue. It wasn't advertised by anyone in either the AM March or May '48 issues.

BTW, a bit late now, but you could have just glued a strip of 1/8 x 3/16 to the 3/4 TE which would also have given a nice line for notching to for the ribs.
Bit earlier than that, this is the inside back cover KK advert from the August 1948 Aeromodeller and appears to be the first time KK advertised the Bandit and Outlaw. Certainly by the next (September) issue all the traders such as Arthur Mullet were listing them.

Pat's right about the TE! Or you could have removed 1/8" from the front of a 1" x 1/4".
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jan 28, 2015, 06:51 AM
Joined Nov 2008
4,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmcc View Post
Well actually, I did think about that.... at least, filling between the rear of the ribs with 1/8" square, but for two reasons I chose not to. First was that if I do go the clear film route, I didn't think that the additional square on the front of the TE would have looked as neat; and secondly, because I had cut the original wing ribs to be inset into the TE by only 1/16" (I later saw the plan comment saying 1/8"!), they wouldn't have reached the smaller TE triangular section.

But I didn't think of cutting down a piece of 1" x 1/4".....
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by Chris Jenkins
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Feb 2005
987 Posts
Nice one Blink. Looking forward to following.
Chris Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by Chris Jenkins
Old Jan 29, 2015, 01:39 PM
Joined Nov 2008
4,021 Posts
Thanks, Chris!

Well my wood order arrived today and as Milady has taken Young Pippa Blinkette to the hairdressers (Lady Blink has accompanied her to ensure that she doesn't come back with a purple Mohican), I set to and began. A small step, but it feels good to have started the creative process once more..
Old Jan 29, 2015, 02:45 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
3,242 Posts
Looks like there may be enough starch,to hold the gear ok.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 02:22 AM
Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
And does anyone have an idea of when it appeared in the KK range?
July 1948
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Old Jan 30, 2015, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by Bobimp
Joined Sep 2006
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jenkins View Post
Nice one Blink. Looking forward to following.
Yes, nice one Blink! You,ll be pleased with the way it fly`s if it`s anything like mine! Slightly larger than original which was 44" if I remember rightly, but mine was sizes to 54" I think. I built most of the KK range back in the 50`s and 60`s but they were always rather heavy (remember the front bulkheads, engine bearers and undercarriage mount all in one piece!) I have had much more sucess with these models when fitted with radio and electric and when enlarged slightly they make good relaxing sport models. My opinion only! Lol.
Bob Imp
Bobimp is offline Find More Posts by Bobimp
Old Jan 30, 2015, 09:37 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
3,242 Posts
Now that I'm back on line I'll be watching this one.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 04:04 PM
Joined Nov 2008
4,021 Posts
Hey Bob, now that is an inspiration! Haven't come to any conclusions about covering material and colour scheme yet, but if it ends up looking half as good as yours I'll be happy.

rr1 - well I hope I don't make a pig's ear of it!