New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2015, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by gchdavid
Joined Dec 2006
2 Posts
Hello gents. Just wanted to post on my experience with the leader 480.

I didn't buy the plane and then try finding hardware for it, it was actually the opposite. I had a parkzone extra 300 that flew great and eventually it met its demise so I was sitting there with all these electronics from it and no plane to put them into (most everything else I have is gas/glow). I started looking into different planes to swap these into and noticed the Leader 480. At first it didn't seem like a good match based on the specs but once I looked closer it did. The leader calls out for a 480 motor and although most people are upgrading to a 10, the power 15 from the extra 300 seemed like a stretch. However, that is a very under-stressed 15, its a 950Kv motor, it comes with only a 30amp Eflite controller and uses 3S 2200mah battery. I then noted that the planes weighted right about the same and were of similar overall dimensions so why wouldn't it fly great with the same stuff from the Extra 300?

I bought the leader and performed the transplant. The motor went on without a fuss (no spacers, bolted straight onto firewall). The servos were a tad big for the openings but nothing a xacto couldn't fix. The battery was able to balance it out without having to put it anywhere near the wing tube.

From the beginning I knew the key to this would be propeller selection. On the extra 300 the OEM prop is a 10.5x9 which hardly seems right for an aerobatic(near 3D) type airplane but it flew great and had nice vertical pull. This prop is also considered severely small for a 15 size motor but I get it, they were trying to keep the amps down so a 30amp would be enough and at the same time have enough thrust. The equivalent to this prop would be an APC 11x8 but I didn't really need it to be super fast and I was hoping to lengthen the flying time so I went with a XOAR PJN 11x7 (a thing of beauty). When tested, the plane flew great, top speed was great, verticals were unlimited (although not super fast) and I couldn't be happier. I did notice that because of the lower KV and relatively small diameter prop I felt like it could fly better so I decided to try an 11X8 but I was concerned that an APC 11X8 would pull too many amps for the controller (eCalc said it would pull 33) so I looked around and decided to try the OEM prop from an Eflite Apprentice 15e, its 11x8 but because it is a bit more flexible than an APC type I knew it wouldn't pull as many amps. Boy was I in for a treat. More thrust, even better vertical and no noticeable change in flight time. All in all, I am extremely happy with the plane and glad that I decided to experiment with it, it literary cost me nothing, just a pile of stuff from an old plane.

Cheers!

Chris
gchdavid is offline Find More Posts by gchdavid
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2015, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by mickydee
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,810 Posts
Hi Chris,

What kind of flight times are you getting with the .15 and the 11 8 prop and how many amps are you drawing?

Thanks!
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old May 18, 2015, 02:52 PM
Find More Posts by gchdavid
Joined Dec 2006
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee View Post
Hi Chris,

What kind of flight times are you getting with the .15 and the 11 8 prop and how many amps are you drawing?

Thanks!
Hello,

Flight times for me feel about the same as I had on my Extra 300 but that is highly dependent on throttle management and your style of flying, I don't know what you could expect. If you keep it at full bore the entire flight you are looking at about 5min but I have found that 10min is well within reason during normal flying, using full power for the up legs of loops etc but flying the rest of the circuit between 40-60% throttle (which is still very fast with this combo). As far as Amps, I have not measured them directly, only calculated them. The original prop was yielding around 29-30amps according to eCalc (it shows 33amps for an APC 10.5x9 but the original prop is flexible so we can assume it will draw a bit less in real life). Ecalc shows an APC 11x8 drawing as much amps as an APC 10.5x9 (33 or so) and since I am using a flexible prop of similar build to the OEM one I expect the same reaction which means I should be right around 30 amps. Many people are flying the Extra 300 with the APC 11x8 without any issues even though that should equal about 33amps and the controller is a 30amp unit.

I am seriously considering buying a 3000-3400mah pack to use on the plane. I could definitely use the extra flight time and the plane has enough authority going vertical that it shouldn't affect flight performance much. Thoughts anyone?

Chris
gchdavid is offline Find More Posts by gchdavid